Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2017 11:28:13 PM EDT
Where did the time go?  Not as young as I used to be.  I still wanna be young.  Not quite 50, I am still fairly young.  Not sure if I got 5 more or 10 more?  This is a very weird time.  I am still having fun, mostly.  Today's people can, from time to time, put a damper on spirits.  But I do still really love the job.  

Seems like a couple years ago I started rookie school.  So many classes since then and so many kids asking me questions I used to ask.  

Got a daughter in college and a son with 2 years left in high school.  Currently looking for my piece of countryside.  Want to leave the concrete behind when my son graduates.  

Feels good, but again weird.  Rambling, sorry, thanks for stopping in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats! Got a few more years before I can even entertain the idea of retirement. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice man. Good to be in that spot. I've got 21 years in. I'll have 25 years and 4 months when I can retire. Agreed, where does the time go.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I retired in 2007. I had 28 years in. It doesn't take long to get used to sleeping all night.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats! Not to many people can say that! Enjoy your time off!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Not my neighborhood, but I still thank you for your service.  Not a job that everyone can do.

God bless and stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations, does your back and shoulders hurt?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congratulations, does your back and shoulders hurt?
View Quote
LOL, back fixed, both shoulders fixed.  Hope they stay that way.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats.   If you find your little piece of countryside try not to look down on us volunteers and join up  

Speaking as a "new" recruit with only 4 years experience......your years of experience is worth it's weight in gold and be better than any amounts of training we can get.    

If it's a good department....I'll admit there's a lot of good ol' boy clubs out there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's see 25,  by my calculations that's 8+ years at a regular job
Congratulations! I understand what you mean about the job, it's still fun, enjoy going to work, but the recovery time between jobs seems longer than it used to be.
Stay safe brother!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Let's see 25,  by my calculations that's 8+ years at a regular job
Congratulations! I understand what you mean about the job, it's still fun, enjoy going to work, but the recovery time between jobs seems longer than it used to be.
Stay safe brother!
View Quote
We had two in a row yesterday morning, got back long enough to get out of gear and the tones hit again.  Both real jobs.  Yea that recovery time compounds I found out.  Been a little while since I had two in a row that quick.  

And last night....LOL...Last night was definitely Friday the 13th.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations.
After 26 years in the PD I'm pulling the plug on April 15. We have 20 acres in Missouri Ozarks.
I've been told by a few people it's good to go when you still have something left. I'm 51, healthy and have quite a bit left. I'll see where things go.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats on the milestone brother !

Retired (forced out after back injury) in 2015 after 30 years. Best advise I can offer is to have a plan after retirement. It isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Thought I had a few more good years left (similar in age to you) but a stupid fall on a job changed all that. Not a day goes by that I wouldn't give anything to be back at it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Atta boy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I did 31.5. I retired in January 2013 so my anniversary date is almost here. My body is shot. Just found out I will need a knee way sooner than later. Back, shoulders, knees and ankles. My retirement formula was such that if you were 55 and had 30 years there was no point in staying. The way the job changed into the snowflake mode took a lot of fun out of working. You can't tell someone to pull their head out of their ass without them heading for a safe space and someone else ratting you out for it.
I saw and did a lot of shit over 31.5 years though and made some incredible friends.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I did 31.5. I retired in January 2013 so my anniversary date is almost here. My body is shot. Just found out I will need a knee way sooner than later. Back, shoulders, knees and ankles. My retirement formula was such that if you were 55 and had 30 years there was no point in staying. The way the job changed into the snowflake mode took a lot of fun out of working. You can't tell someone to pull their head out of their ass without them heading for a safe space and someone else ratting you out for it.
I saw and did a lot of shit over 31.5 years though and made some incredible friends.
View Quote
Congratulations and good luck with your health.  Hoping the best for you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Same station or company the entire time?

I have almost 10 in now. Got promoted to company officer about a year ago. Enjoying things much more not having to constantly move between stations and companies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have almost 10 in now. Got promoted to company officer about a year ago. Enjoying things much more not having to constantly move between stations and companies.
View Quote
Oh no.  I spent 12.5 years in the same company.  We are in flux right now. I have been moved twice this year 2016 because of changes.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oh no.  I spent 12.5 years in the same company.  We are in flux right now. I have been moved twice this year 2016 because of changes.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Station/shift reassignments definitely stabilize once you promote. I moved a ton when I was a lowly FF/PM, but stayed at the same station/shift for all of my tenure as a Driver. We'll see how Captain works out.  I'm going to a slot that literally no one else wants so...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Station/shift reassignments definitely stabilize once you promote. I moved a ton when I was a lowly FF/PM, but stayed at the same station/shift for all of my tenure as a Driver. We'll see how Captain works out.  I'm going to a slot that literally no one else wants so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so much here.  Last couple years is musical chairs. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:34:25 AM EDT
[#22]

congrats!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:22:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Geez, what a day, what a night.  It's been very special today.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:31:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Congratulation! 

I hope to one day be a firefighter/paramedic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know if you are asking me but I will list my assignments. This is Los Angeles County so while it seems like a lot it really isn't over 31.5 years
Fireman/medic
105, 82, 32 (pm internship) 11, 164, 29, 44, (two different times) 182.
Engineer, 131, was only an engineer for 8 months. Should have done it sooner and longer.
Captain, 42, 80, 166 and finished out at 64.
I couldn't even begin to list the number of stations I worked OT in, I would guess over 80 different stations.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what happens in my department. You end up where there is a hole after people transfer to where they really want to be. We could transfer immediately if there was an opening and you had seniority. Some of my assignments had me driving 40-50 miles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is what happens in my department. You end up where there is a hole after people transfer to where they really want to be. We could transfer immediately if there was an opening and you had seniority. Some of my assignments had me driving 40-50 miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, I think the reason no one wants it is because its central, so its the busiest station, has admin and the BC, and the BC is not exactly well liked either. I've already had lunch with the engineer and the outgoing captain (who left for a chief position at another department,) and they had nothing but good things to say about the crew. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#29]
As a matter of fact I was looking earlier today how senior I was. No. 32 of a 600 member department. Going on 23 years and it takes its toll on your body. Looking around t all these kids certainly brings back memories.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Congrats.

I have seven long years to go before I can consider the idea.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To be fair, I think the reason no one wants it is because its central, so its the busiest station, has admin and the BC, and the BC is not exactly well liked either. I've already had lunch with the engineer and the outgoing captain (who left for a chief position at another department,) and they had nothing but good things to say about the crew. 
View Quote

My station contains the Chief's office, classroom and runs better than 65% of yearly alarms in addition to being automatic aid to the dept next door which happens to be the 2nd busiest department in the county. Oh we have the tender here too and that goes everywhere.............

We refer to the other station as "dispatch". Next year their stations captain is retiring and I've already got the transfer request written up and in my locker ready to put in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Congratulations. I have 12 years as a career and 23yrs to go.Starting to wonder if i have 23 years of fucks left.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Congratulations. I have 12 years as a career and 23yrs to go.Starting to wonder if i have 23 years of fucks left.
View Quote
Ignore the truly crappy people.  

When helping stupid people, think about your worst mistakes ever, and then think about any grace at all that was extended to you during that time.  Not everybody wants or chooses to be stupid.  Some people are just prone to have bad days.

Best wishes and good luck.  Stay healthy!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:39:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Congrats.   If you find your little piece of countryside try not to look down on us volunteers and join up  
View Quote

I worked in my Mother's bakery in the early 90s. I kept a scanner running listening to the local Fire/EMS/LE stuff to kill time in the quiet times. A guy in his 50s came in one day with a denim jacket with a subdued Maltese cross design on the back so I asked if he was a local volunteer (the entire county was 100% volunteer except for the county fire marshal/emergency management coordinator).  He said he recently retired after 30 years with Joilet Il Fire Department.  

I said the locals could use someone with his experience and he said "I'm retired, I just want to relax".

Two months later I attended my first meeting with the intent to join and who do I see as the newest member?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats. My BIL is a FF also and is a short timer. He's ready to go too
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Congrats!
I felt like I was reading my own history. I'm 53, I have a freshman in college and a sophomore in HS. I've got 23yrs in and have a year and a half before I'm eligible. It's funny, I don't feel "old" on the job, I feel like I can outwork the newmans any day. It does make me wonder what the hell am I going to do next? So many hobbies, so little time...  (and I have to say I'm a little tired of the ones that have half my time and complain about the little shit.)
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Congrats!
I felt like I was reading my own history. I'm 53, I have a freshman in college and a sophomore in HS. I've got 23yrs in and have a year and a half before I'm eligible. It's funny, I don't feel "old" on the job, I feel like I can outwork the newmans any day. It does make me wonder what the hell am I going to do next? So many hobbies, so little time...  (and I have to say I'm a little tired of the ones that have half my time and complain about the little shit.)
View Quote
OMG ain't this the truth.... (and I have to say I'm a little tired of the ones that have half my time and complain about the little shit.)

None of them have ever been taped to a flag pole...LOL
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Congrats!
View Quote

whats funny to me is how every few years the policies/procedures get changed back to what they were. then a few years later get changed back, like a see saw. its funny to watch the people with about 10 years on start to figure it out and start getting pissed off because of it. Im at the point I can tell what they are about to change it to just based on what it used to be.

we just went back to a purchasing policy that we got rid of nearly 20 years ago and it was antiquated then. but here we are in the 21st century using the same purchasing procedures they used in the 1960's.

im waiting on them to pull our gas cards and tell us we can't buy gas anywhere but at state owned gas pumps (which don't exist anymore)  like we did until we got gas credit cards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top