Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2016 10:11:51 AM EDT
1.  What was up with the guys wife? As soon as things got bad, all she wanted to do was commit suicide....and ends up walking off into the woods at night to die.  Was she just nuts, or was there something else going on that I missed?

2. It seemed like the only groups of people the father and son ever ran into were bad guys that wanted to eat you. In a post apocalyptic STHF scenario.....is that how it would most likely be? Huge groups of bad guys and only a few individuals that were decent human beings?  At that point, it seems like your only options would be to bug out, and keep moving to evade them.  

I think it was a good movie....definitely more realistic than the SHTF wet dream scenarios that many in GD seem to have engrained in their heads.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#1]
1. They had been living in the post-shtf world for some time and she had grown weary of the constant fear and danger. She didn't want to live in the brutal world and didn't want her son to live in it either, especially considering that she and her son would likely be raped, tortured, and eaten after her husband was killed. In her mind, death was a better option.

2. There could be more good guys, but we don't really know that because we only see the characters in the area where then man and boy travel. At the end they do run into some good guys. There were no living plants or animals to speak of so other humans were the only thing to eat, unless you happened upon some canned food that looters and scavengers had somehow missed. That situation alone is more favorable to those willing to do anything to survive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. They had been living in the post-shtf world for some time and she had grown weary of the constant fear and danger. She didn't want to live in the brutal world and didn't want her son to live in it either, especially considering that she and her son would likely be raped, tortured, and eaten after her husband was killed. In her mind, death was a better option.

2. There could be more good guys, but we don't really know that because we only see the characters in the area where then man and boy travel. At the end they do run into some good guys. There were no living plants or animals to speak of so other humans were the only thing to eat, unless you happened upon some canned food that looters and scavengers had somehow missed. That situation alone is more favorable to those willing to do anything to survive.
View Quote

So am I the only one that liked the movie?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked it as well. It's hard to watch more than once though.
If you haven't already, read the book. It's a short read but very good
and several degrees more graphic. It doesn't explain exactly what
the catastrophe is but describes the conditions better than the movie.
Cormac McCarthy won the Pulitzer for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1.  What was up with the guys wife? As soon as things got bad, all she wanted to do was commit suicide....and ends up walking off into the woods at night to die.  Was she just nuts, or was there something else going on that I missed?

2. It seemed like the only groups of people the father and son ever ran into were bad guys that wanted to eat you. In a post apocalyptic STHF scenario.....is that how it would most likely be? Huge groups of bad guys and only a few individuals that were decent human beings?  At that point, it seems like your only options would be to bug out, and keep moving to evade them.  

I think it was a good movie....definitely more realistic than the SHTF wet dream scenarios that many in GD seem to have engrained in their heads.
View Quote

Since the son was born post apocalypse, they had been living that way for 10 years or so (how old is the kid?).
She tells the dad he should have killed them all earlier when they had more ammo.
They were expecting it to hit at some point, he got up and ran the tub and said "It's here".

There wee other small groups of good people.  And small groups of bad people.
The family in the house with the abattoir/stockade in the basement were only four.
The large group in the beginning are the only real marauders we see.
I believe it's the same group chasing the woman and girl (and the woman and girl were part of a small "good" group conceivably).

The couple that shot the dad with the arrow were just two scared people.
Robert Duvall was alone (his thumbs allude that he was part of a group at some time).
The black guy scavenger was alone.
The family the kid finally hooks up with were just 4, and had been following the pair for days.

Seems like a mix of people enjoying the apocalypse, surviving it and others freaking the hell out.

Great film.  
I felt cold and wet the entire time watching it.
They got the mood and imagery perfect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#5]
What was the deal with their thumbs? I guess I missed that part.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Why is this thread in the BOTS forum?

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why is this thread in the BOTS forum?

View Quote

Accident....needs to be moved to GD.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Probably as punishment for stealing.

And since it was just his thumbs, it was also probably early on in the apocalypse before things were as bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was the deal with their thumbs? I guess I missed that part.

Probably as punishment for stealing.

And since it was just his thumbs, it was also probably early on in the apocalypse before things were as bad.

Wasn't explained in the movie.

I don't recall missing thumbs in the book at all.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, great movie, great book.  Makes you realize that EOTW scenario is only going to be all Mad Maxy for a few years, then everything runs out and life is pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top