Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2016 11:10:37 PM EDT
Have to do an oral presentation on a firefighting skill. The scenario is "as the company officer you are to present training on a firefighting skill to your 3 firefighters." Props and visual aids can be used.

Any ideas that are different? Everybody else will probably be doing ventilation, building construction etc. I want something that will be interesting and be unlike what everyone else is doing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you thought about forcible entry using the halligan bar? Or just the multiple uses of the halligan bar?
Bunch of quality you to be vids out there to use as demos unless you have access to forcible entry props.
Use of the Cleveland load high rise pack... there are a bunch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you decide... Keep it simple, but make it something you know, not just something you read. It should comply with your policies, but not necessarily come from the IFSTA book or department policy .

Assessors know when you're trying to dazzle them with BS. That's a sure sign you don't really know what you're doing, so practice you're presentation, especially for time limits, and make it a topic you know.

Prepare several presentation and don't show you're "oh shit" face if you walk in and the assessors throw you a left handed metric gooble wrench and say "teach me this."

If it makes you feel better,  I did a 10 minute teach-back presentation for a job as a HazMat instructor once. I did it on the uses of a wooden door chock and it got me the job.

Relax, put on your game face, and get yourself promoted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Your assessment sounds easier than mine was.

On my last promotional exam we had to go through an assessment. The presentation portion was a little stressful. We were taken to a room one by one and then given the subject we were to present to the examiners. We had no choices in the subjects. We had ten minutes to prepare and then ten minutes for the presentation. No one except the examiners knew anything about the subject material beforehand.

The key points the examiners were looking for is the WAY we presented the subject matter, not so much as the subject matter itself.

Opening with introduction

Course overview. Tell them what you are going to tell them.

The course itself. Handout materials and references were a plus.

Course review. Tell them what you just told them.

Open for questions

Closing
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Positioning/spotting/placement of apparatus for different structures and incidents.

Make some cardboard streets, buildings and get a few model trucks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the very simple formula for success.  When you answer, do it, say it, write it, and follow up.  If you apply that to any hypothetical situation they give you, you'll get a good score.  

Thank me later with a small donation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top