Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2016 11:05:46 AM EDT
I'm thinking about doing EMT-B training when I get back to the United States. Any advice you can share? Personal experience? How much time does it normally take to complete? There is a national test for certification, right?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
mine took i think 198 hours and ride time...its 9 credit hours here.  I thought it was very easy pay attention, take notes and take atvabtage of hands on time.  i really enjoy having my EMT B, i do it as a side gig...  If you are trying to make money however, get your RN.

my state does not honnor NR so cant comment on it
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It's relatively easy if you have common sense, can study, and have a basic understanding of anatomy.  Medicine is a huge career field and you can do almost anything you want in it, a lot of people start as EMT's or Paramedics until they find what they truly want to do.  I know some great Dr's that used to ride the box.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
mine took i think 198 hours and ride time...its 9 credit hours here.  I thought it was very easy pay attention, take notes and take atvabtage of hands on time.  i really enjoy having my EMT B, i do it as a side gig...  If you are trying to make money however, get your RN.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's relatively easy if you have common sense, can study, and have a basic understanding of anatomy.  Medicine is a huge career field and you can do almost anything you want in it, a lot of people start as EMT's or Paramedics until they find what they truly want to do.  I know some great Dr's that used to ride the box.

Okay, so basically just be a good student. The 198 hours doesn't seem too bad. I wasn't really thinking about doing it for a money-making career...
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Also be prepared to catch flack if you answer with anything other than "to become a career ambulance driver"  when the guys you are riding along with ask why you are getting certified.

I learned that one the hard way. Apparently "because it is a certification required to be a paid firefighter" is not ok.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Also be prepared to catch flack if you answer with anything other than "to become a career ambulance driver"  when the guys you are riding along with ask why you are getting certified.

I learned that one the hard way. Apparently "because it is a certification required to be a paid firefighter" is not ok.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The nremt training teaches you basic skills and really about how to pass the test.

Your real knowledge comes from spending time on the box, aka taxpayer taxi.

View Quote

This, hundred times over. All that classroom stuff is great, but it doesn't mean much without the experience on the truck.

If you've taken any sort of first aid training, you'll be well on your way for your Basic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Your state determines a great deal of what your training will be like. Most states are heading towards EMT-B, followed by AEMT, culminating in EMT-P. I just completed this and became a paramedic. In general, EMT-B & AEMT are one semester each. Paramedic is 3 semesters (fall, spring and summer). Basic will focus on just that, the basics; bleeding control, CPR, baseline vitals  and oxygen administration. I'm not sure basics can give much more in the way of drugs beyond that. Here in TN it is pretty much expected that you'll at least complete AEMT before finding employment. Again, your state will dictate all of this, so it's hard to say without knowing where you'll be.

ETA: I did 10 years as a basic/AEMT with a 911 service (fire) before going to medic school.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL. Trying to get him shot, huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a rivalry or something?

Quoted:
There are 3-week rush classes out there but most average about 4 months 2 nights a week.

I'm planning on living in one place for about three months when I return... after that, I'm not sure where I'll end up. I would like to make good use of my time before becoming mobile again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This, hundred times over. All that classroom stuff is great, but it doesn't mean much without the experience on the truck.

If you've taken any sort of first aid training, you'll be well on your way for your Basic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The nremt training teaches you basic skills and really about how to pass the test.

Your real knowledge comes from spending time on the box, aka taxpayer taxi.

I can apply a bandage.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may want to retread that, I'm trying to help him not get shot
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagging for interest. I've been putting some thought into becoming a Wilderness EMT
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tagging for interest. I've been putting some thought into becoming a Wilderness EMT
View Quote

Are there specific training programs for that?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, although it starts with regular emt training.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got done taking my emtb class and I'm taking my nr test on tuesday.  My class was an accelerated class. Tues-thurs 6-930 and every other saturday 9-4 so it was a bit grueling trying to cram everything in my brain having no past medical training.  It's very doable as long as you pay attention and study.  The practical part I found the easiest except for the medical and trauma assessment because there are so many things you got to memorize but repetition really helps with that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]
As a poster above noted it is also a great way to get into medicine.  A cheif of medicine at a local hospital here started as a city medic.  He now has an amazing real world kwnoledge of pre hospital care.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I remember when I did my practical trauma assessment. The examiner not only got a phone call while I was doing my thing, she answered it and held a conversation. We were told no phones in the room, period.

I got a re-do of that one, no extra charge. Which is good, because I fucked up a few bits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got done taking my emtb class and I'm taking my nr test on tuesday.  My class was an accelerated class. Tues-thurs 6-930 and every other saturday 9-4 so it was a bit grueling trying to cram everything in my brain having no past medical training.  It's very doable as long as you pay attention and study.  The practical part I found the easiest except for the medical and trauma assessment because there are so many things you got to memorize but repetition really helps with that.

I remember when I did my practical trauma assessment. The examiner not only got a phone call while I was doing my thing, she answered it and held a conversation. We were told no phones in the room, period.

I got a re-do of that one, no extra charge. Which is good, because I fucked up a few bits.
The dept where I took my practical at had a call come in during both my trauma and medical assessments so I got a few seconds to stop in the middle of them and recollect my thoughts.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Former EMT-B and current PA-C.

Take a CPR class, the rest of EMT-B training is pretty worthless.

You're basically just a driver for your medic and a second pair of hands if a patient needs cpr. As an EMT-B, the only meds you can administer are glucose and oxygen. You learn how to take a very quick patient history/assessment and scene survey. Also how to backboard someone / spinal precautions. Some very limited splinting and wound care. You learn some very limited info about various medical conditions such as diabetic ketoacidosis, burns, etc. It won't help you much in a SHTF situation, but it's something.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is what the class teaches you. The street teaches you a lot more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're basically just a driver for your medic and a second pair of hands if a patient needs cpr. As an EMT-B, the only meds you can administer are glucose and oxygen. You learn how to take a very quick patient history/assessment and scene survey. Also how to backboard someone / spinal precautions. Some very limited splinting and wound care. You learn some very limited info about various medical conditions such as diabetic ketoacidosis, burns, etc. It won't help you much in a SHTF situation, but it's something.

I'm sure that is true, but the class is still basically worthless. The cert can eventually get you a job as an ER tech, where you can hang around nurses, PA's and Docs, where you might actually learn things that are useful.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Scene safety / BSI!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scene safety / BSI!

DCAP-BTLS!
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

NREMTs aren't limited to just 2.    We were doing 6 and they're now adding just a few more procedures, like taking blood glucose, etc.  But yeah, our focus is completely on making them easier to transport to higher care. And I agree, for shtf prep, it's almost useless.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the class.  We have 120 hours classroom, we did over 200, and learned IVs and intubation, and a few other things as it was A. expected that we'd all push to at least I, if not P, and B, we'd be helping I's and P's and it's easier to help if you know what they're doing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

NREMTs aren't limited to just 2.    We were doing 6 and they're now adding just a few more procedures, like taking blood glucose, etc.  But yeah, our focus is completely on making them easier to transport to higher care. And I agree, for shtf prep, it's almost useless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a NREMT, and it was 2 then. Things could have changed, but that was as recent as 2013.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was a NREMT, and it was 2 then. Things could have changed, but that was as recent as 2013.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only 2 changes I'm aware of is adding aspirin and deleting Ipecac.
Epi, albuterol, nitro, and charcoal are still good to go last I heard.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was an EMT, you could assist someone to take nitro themselves, but you couldn't administer it to them.

We certainly couldn't stick someone with an epi-pen. We didn't even carry charcoal. And albuterol was something we couldn't administer either. Patient had to administer that themselves. It may differ from state to state and county to county. It depends on what your local medical director allows.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#34]

And I agree, for shtf prep, it's almost useless.
View Quote

Some of the EMT skills for SHTF are pointless,, yes.  However, working as an EMT and getting used to dealing with sick and injured people is not.

It's no different than shooting, if you own a whole safe full of laser guided, heat seeking, nuclear powered deathrays but have never shot any of them and are afraid to get a little mud on them, you'll end up at the mercy of the guy with the 03A3 Springfield.  Same as if you've read the Special Forces Medical Handbook cover to cover but faint at the sight of a papercut, a good EMT will at least be used to seeing people vomiting and bleeding.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Finished my EMT-B in North Carolina just last month and received my state license.

I enrolled in a 6 week course which had two 10 hour classroom days and 72 hours online.

Well worth my time and I intend to go on to EMT-A and Wilderness Cert.

Only reason I did not do the 4 semester Paramedic was due to age (63) and the fact that as a local VFD/RS I serve at the VFD level and we do not transport patients nor want the legal liability of keeping up with the drug box.

Here in NC we can do quite a few drugs and procedures.

Last Saturday I ran 3 calls. First was house fire with occupant still inside, treated him for smoke inhalation and handed off to County ambulance (ALS Paramedics) required airlift to trauma center for further treatment. 15 ltr 02 via non rebreather mask.

Second call, was 60 year old female presenting with SOB and chest pain. Gave her aspirin, (no prescription for Nitro) and 3 ltrs. O2 via Nasal cannula.

Final call was a middle aged male, suicide. Nothing to do there but babysit the deputy til additional LE and coroner arrived on scene.

I feel good being able to give back to my community. Our department puts kits together for all EMT's that we keep in private vehicles to reduce response time. Kit's include standard trauma jump bag, O2 kit which includes, cylinder, regulator, different size types airways, masks, Bag Valve Mask, O2 sensor, Blood glucose monitor, stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, and AED.

With these tools, and a 5 to 7 minute response time to anywhere in our district we can accomplish quite a bit. Bottom line BLS stabilization and giving as stable a patient  complete with a good history to the medics when they get there. We have 3 ambulance stations and the average time from dispatch to on scene is up to 30 minutes.

We can contact medical control for additional guidance and also can request a chopper on standby or even order to random LZ's around the county.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And narcan, heck even our cops are now carrying narcan in their cars.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And narcan, heck even our cops are now carrying narcan in their cars.  
View Quote

We will probably be trading C-collars for Narcan soon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I did EMT-B training before I went to med school.  Had lots of useful stuff.  

However, I would recommend the whole paramedic course if you have the time and money.  County services, unless they are in desperate straits, are going to want a full Paramedic certification.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Finished my EMT-B in North Carolina just last month and received my state license.

I enrolled in a 6 week course which had two 10 hour classroom days and 72 hours online.

Well worth my time and I intend to go on to EMT-A and Wilderness Cert.

Only reason I did not do the 4 semester Paramedic was due to age (63) and the fact that as a local VFD/RS I serve at the VFD level and we do not transport patients nor want the legal liability of keeping up with the drug box.

Here in NC we can do quite a few drugs and procedures.

Last Saturday I ran 3 calls. First was house fire with occupant still inside, treated him for smoke inhalation and handed off to County ambulance (ALS Paramedics) required airlift to trauma center for further treatment. 15 ltr 02 via non rebreather mask.

Second call, was 60 year old female presenting with SOB and chest pain. Gave her aspirin, (no prescription for Nitro) and 3 ltrs. O2 via Nasal cannula.

Final call was a middle aged male, suicide. Nothing to do there but babysit the deputy til additional LE and coroner arrived on scene.

I feel good being able to give back to my community. Our department puts kits together for all EMT's that we keep in private vehicles to reduce response time. Kit's include standard trauma jump bag, O2 kit which includes, cylinder, regulator, different size types airways, masks, Bag Valve Mask, O2 sensor, Blood glucose monitor, stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, and AED.

With these tools, and a 5 to 7 minute response time to anywhere in our district we can accomplish quite a bit. Bottom line BLS stabilization and giving as stable a patient  complete with a good history to the medics when they get there. We have 3 ambulance stations and the average time from dispatch to on scene is up to 30 minutes.

We can contact medical control for additional guidance and also can request a chopper on standby or even order to random LZ's around the county.
View Quote

I've been am EMT in NC for close to 30 years.  Con-Ed once a month.  My son is 17 now and he is going through the hybrid school.  Every Saturday and lectures and 3 tests a week on computer.  August through November.
We have several medications we can administer that are provided by the county EMS and medical director and after the first of the year will be getting a few more.  We are required to go through protocol training each year on the meds to remain certified to operate in our county.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

However, I would recommend the whole paramedic course if you have the time and money.  County services, unless they are in desperate straits, are going to want a full Paramedic certification.
View Quote

95% of the time if you're not in a major city getting paid they will take a warm body, regardless of the cert.

Most medics go fire, those who don't rarely if ever work for free, the east coast being a possible exception to that rule.

I'm happy when I run across a Ricky rescue or a jolly volley with more than a first responder.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#41]
It's fun to do, but if you're going to do anything worth while you will need your paramedic cert which is a huge time investment, and honestly, not worth it unless you're going career fire.

You will have a national scope of practice that tells you what is the standard everywhere. Some states or counties will add to, or take away from this depending on your medical director. If your area is full of retard EMT's expect to have your hands tied, if not, your leash gets longer. If you work in an area like I did in Colorado, you will do much more than any other EMT anywhere.

I had the ability to run IV's and IO's, push D50-25, A&A nebs, all under a basic scope. When I moved to Nevada I couldn't touch half of that with an I-85.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Some of the EMT skills for SHTF are pointless,, yes.  However, working as an EMT and getting used to dealing with sick and injured people is not.

It's no different than shooting, if you own a whole safe full of laser guided, heat seeking, nuclear powered deathrays but have never shot any of them and are afraid to get a little mud on them, you'll end up at the mercy of the guy with the 03A3 Springfield.  Same as if you've read the Special Forces Medical Handbook cover to cover but faint at the sight of a papercut, a good EMT will at least be used to seeing people vomiting and bleeding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And I agree, for shtf prep, it's almost useless.

Lol. I guess that's something.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

95% of the time if you're not in a major city getting paid they will take a warm body, regardless of the cert.

Most medics go fire, those who don't rarely if ever work for free, the east coast being a possible exception to that rule.

I'm happy when I run across a Ricky rescue or a jolly volley with more than a first responder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I lived in a small mountain town in CA, the local FD offered to put me through EMT school if I would sign on for a couple of years. Unfortunately I got transferred across the country so that never happened.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here we have very few ALS Fire services. North Little Rock and Jacksonville Fire Depts are the only two in my area. NLR is, and will remain, non transport.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm working on the course right now, and am thinking of doing the NREMT. How difficult is the NREMT? Ive been told hard as crap and I've been told not hard at all. Already killed half a note pad and I'm on chap 2 taking notes. I figure pay attention and good notes will help.

I figure if some of the dumb idiots Ive meet can pass, so can I. I'm looking at the NREMT only due to the fact I'm on state line right now with WV and VA and also to go back home to KS if I need to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that is just locally then.  Glad to hear that EMTBs can be hired regularly.   I don't meet many here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maybe that is just locally then.  Glad to hear that EMTBs can be hired regularly.   I don't meet many here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We only ever have dual medic trucks if two EMTS call in and nobody wants a double shift.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#48]
You will do your ride time, realize all you can do is transport and O2 then want to get your paramedic license.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#49]
NFPA is now trying to make it mandatory for all firefighters, paid and volunteer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
NFPA is now trying to make it mandatory for all firefighters, paid and volunteer.
View Quote

AEMT or Medic?

Edit: It's gotta be A because there is no way in hell a bunch of jolly volleys are going to waste the time or the money to get paramedic when all they want to do is play hose monkey. That will not end well for them, (NFPA) seeing as how more than half of all fire in the country is volunteer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top