Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2016 1:27:20 PM EDT
For LE purposes, is it better (more cost effective, better quality components) to build your own med kit or just buy one? I've seen prepackaged kits on Galls, LAPolice, DarkAngelMed, etc. but didn't know if the components were mostly mediocre.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Just for you or your whole department?  If just you, then go make friends with the fire guys.  They might hook you up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
It's just for me. We're a very small PD so a lot of gear is self supplied.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy.  I know everything in my kits, and they are all set up for me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I put my kit together so I could tailor it for my needs. Always seems that there are things in a pre made kit that I don't need and I always seem to be able to

My kit, which rides attached to my duty bag, in a rip off type small med kit bag, in the front seat contains: 2-CAT's, Cito gauze, an Isreali bandage, a chest seal and a Nasal Pharengeal airway. I have been trained on the use of all of this stuff for SELF rescue (Nasals suck!!!). This is not a minor injury type kit and is for the use on me, for me, by me (or by/for another officer).

I also carry a CAT on my vest.

J-
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just for you or your whole department?  If just you, then go make friends with the fire guys.  They might hook you up.
View Quote

Try this first, they will probably have most of the stuff you want and will just give it to you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I say build AFTER you take a tac-med class or two. A real eye opener and cuts through the crap.

Check with your state's tactical officers association  NTOA.org

Until then, grab the basics and treat them well. Open it up and INSPECT the contents each month. You'd be surprised how some of the packaging gets damaged going from your truck / locker and into your patrol car every day.

I always say better to have it and not need it.........but at least be familiar with what you put in there.

DON'T forget a headlamp or pen-light...
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are building strictly a kit for GSWs you may want to build your own kit.  It doesn't take much.  Fire Depts can load you up on a lot of cheap dressings, but it will likley be just bulk 4x4s and kling.

Rescue essentials sells a lot of good kits though. I just can't find one that is %100 complete.  When you add hemostatic combat gauze and a CAT  tourniquet you've just bumped up the price about $60 to whatever kit you buy.

Probably this kit, plus a boo-boo kit would be a good setup:http://www.rescue-essentials.com/mutual-aid-trauma-mat-kit/

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you guys do aided cases often?  Most hospitals will have a spot for EMT to restock their bags. Hit that for some basics - 4x4s, cling, triangle bandages,  etc.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Build. Very unlikely that a kit has the specific items, brand/ type/ size that I want. Buy extras of everything figure out what you like/ what works by actually opening it up and trying to use it. Repurchase what you like and build a kit

A kit won't know what size nasopharyngeal airway you take. Buy a pack and stick em in
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought kits are full of crap. Most of which you will never use. The stuff you DO use is never there in enough quantity to make them worthwhile.

Get with the fire/EMT guys as already stated.  If you can't, buy some decent compression bandages and PROFESSIONAL medical supplies off the internet.

Alternatively, you could date an ER nurse.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top