Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2016 3:35:58 PM EDT
I recently, (December), completed the EMT class and I've been running calls since. I am hoping to continue doing so as an EMT for the next year to improve and build a solid BLS foundation, but that said, I'm still trying to figure out what should be my next step in the coming year or three. I really would like to go to Paramedic school, but 2 years is a long time and the costs are very high for something I'll never get paid to do. That leaves a NREMT Advanced or Virginia Intermediate as the other two options, but I'm not sure which I should go for if they're offered next year.  What do y'all recommend? I don't foresee EMS becoming a paid career; I'd be running with my local volunteer squad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Which one is allowed to do more under your standard protocols?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which one is allowed to do more under your standard protocols?
View Quote

Intermediate.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that VA OEMS is doing away with I'S and P will be your only option. Or that's at least what I've been told.

Where are you volunteering?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure paramedic is 2 years? The class I'm in is 1 day a week for 13 months. Might want to look into that. But yes, it is kinda expensive
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe that VA OEMS is doing away with I'S and P will be your only option. Or that's at least what I've been told.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A squad in Montgomery County

Quoted:
Are you sure paramedic is 2 years? The class I'm in is 1 day a week for 13 months. Might want to look into that. But yes, it is kinda expensive

Around here it seems to be a 2 year program through SWCC. I did find some 12-14mo programs through VCU and Harrisonburg though, and I'm sure there's more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you sure you really want to put yourself through that just to volunteer?  I'm not bashing volunteers, besides working full time as a paramedic in one area my local agency is volunteer and I give the occasional shift.

What I'm getting at is that paramedic school is a major commitment - kiss your family, leisure time, basically your life goodbye for the time you'll be in school.  I worked harder getting through medic school than I ever did getting my bachelors degree.  That's a big commitment if you don't intend to make a living from it afterwards.  Not to mention always having to keep current with your ACLS, PALS, and alphabet courses.

As far as Intermediate vs Advanced, at least the NREMT alternative might give you more options down the road if you ever move from where you are now.

In any event, you're a new EMT, so I wouldn't rush headlong into any program now.  You're smart to want to get some experience first.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd just sit back and chill as an EMT. Continue your education through card classes mentioned above, if so desires, but I see no reason to go higher if you're volunteer.

And last I remember, intermediate got changed to advanced, though some states like Texas still issue an intermediate patch, the actual NREMT cert is advanced.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd just sit back and chill as an EMT. Continue your education through card classes mentioned above, if so desires, but I see no reason to go higher if you're volunteer.

And last I remember, intermediate got changed to advanced, though some states like Texas still issue an intermediate patch, the actual NREMT cert is advanced.
View Quote

Enhanced is now Advanced and Intermediate is no longer a NREMT cert from what I understand.
Right now I've been doing extrication, vertical rescue, and I'm about to start driving, so I'm still keeping busy!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
EMT-I is on its way out and states should NOT be allowing EMT-I courses any more because NREMT won't take it- unless they're doing a state only cert (which is and I'd hope they're not). In fact, 2017 is the last opportunity to transition from EMT-I to AEMT and all remaining EMT-Is will be nationally registered as NREMT (National Registry EMT) after the March renewal cycle. Some states will allow grandfathering of EMT-Is as NREMT/state licensed EMT-I but that's up to the individual state. OK, for example, will allow it but all EMT-Is will have to do the standard DOT refresher and CE hours instead of the NCCP recert program that NREMR, NREMT, NRAEMT, and NRP will do starting with the 2017 recert cycle. NCCP is awesome and I think it's a great step forward for ensuring true continuing education instead of dreading refresher time and just longing for it to be over.

I'd stay NREMT for a while and see if you like it. NAEMT is a big jump up and NRP is insane for a volunteer. The clinical hours will eat your nights, weekends, and vacation time up and you'll either be at work, school, or clinicals. You could do it but it will not be fun and will cost you serious $$$$$$. Plus, a NRP with limited experience is not a good thing IMO. A volunteer EMT that takes it serious, keeps up on his BLS skills, and works at being a professional is infinitely better than a guy that struggled through class just to "upgrade" but doesn't have the volume and depth of experience necessary to stay sharp and maintain ALS skills. An EMT that understands his role in medicine and gets his pts to proper definitive care rapidly has nothing to be ashamed of. IMO AEMT is of dubious benefit as well due to the advent and prevalence of supraglottic airways in EMS (NRP has options for pts needing an ET tube such as RSI if protocols allow, AEMT not so much) and since real pain management remains outside the AEMT scope of practice it won't affect your transport decision much. Prehospital fluids are a bonus to AEMT but research on their benefits isn't really convincing. The biggest thing you can do for your pts is hone your assessment skills so you can determine where your pt needs to go and how you need to get them there.

Stick with it for a few years and then reassess.

ETA: Sorry for the novel

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your plan for now is to build a solid BLS foundation, and that's great... but I simply don't see you being able to do the same thing as a medic in a volunteer position compared to the guys getting paid, doing it full time week after week.

IMO, if you're thinking that far ahead as fas as credentials go, you should consider taking the plunge into it as a career.  That way, 4 years from now when you're asking yourself about MICT, FP-C and nursing school bridges, you'll have the appropriate field experience to actually move forward with those plans.
View Quote

I agree with AGW.  I know a few people who have been volunteer paramedics for years and years, some of them very smart.  None of them have even near the degree of proficiency a the average career/paid paramedic who's got a few years on the job full time.

Stick with the BLS for now, and get good at it.  Speaking as a paramedic, in most cases I'd rather work with a strong EMT partner than a weak paramedic.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
EMT-I is a waste of time.  Very few areas use them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If you were in South Florida you would have to go full blown paramedic and Fire Accademy or you would have no work. To a degree it is fucking stupid. Govt. gona Govt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]
From a virginian, emt-I is not long for this world here. That said, if all you will ever do is volunteer I don't know that I would go medic. It isn't because you can't be good at it, but more because of the liability. There just is not a lot of upside if you are not collecting a check. That sounds greedy but it is true. I didn't get my medic for for the extra money, but I probably wouldn't do it for free knowing what I know now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you were in South Florida you would have to go full blown paramedic and Fire Accademy or you would have no work. To a degree it is fucking stupid. Govt. gona Govt.
View Quote

Same here In Tampa Bay...most likely the State. I've been retired for 6 years now...and let me tell ya...it doesn't suck.
The guys that are still on the line,  are telling me it's not the same anymore. Everything is computerized, they know where your at all the time, the online training they have these guys doing is nothing short of insanity...let alone running calls, CME's, drill grounds, all while short staffed. Admin just looking to get you written up for the littlest BS.
Our Master station (2 company station) just had a 100 call shift. That's just crazy...2 man ladder trucks...3 man engines.
Sadly the "good old days" are a mere memory...don't get me wrong....it's a great career... ton of fun...but has certainly changed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I began volunteering as an EMT in Va.Beach in 1985. I was surrounded by fellow volunteers that were paramedics who never considered once to do it full time. They were bankers, lawyers, housewives, business owners and retired folks. They were all good at the job, some were amazing. When I began, I just wanted to try something new and help my neighbors. It didn't take long for me to become jealous of those that could start IV's, Intubate, medicate and defibrillate. (This was WAY before intranasal meds, King Airways and AED's) I saw it as a way to get help faster to patients as we could go POV to scenes to meet responding unit (when primary unit was busy).
I then went to "Shock-Trauma" class (Enhanced) then Cardiac Tech (Intermediate) then Paramedic.
By then my idea of becoming a school teacher had waned and I applied to local paid fire departments. I was hired as a full time FF-PM locally and continued to volunteer on the side for another 7 years. I volunteered a total of 15 years.
I'm now approaching my eligibility to retire from the fire dept. It's been an interesting career being involved in Tech Rescue, HazMat, SWAT-Medic, Regional Teamwork, and yes, Precepting new Paramedic students from Tidewater Comm College for over 20 years.
Your mileage may vary, but I would offer you the hindsight I have; If you enjoy the work, go for it. You never know the curves in our road of life. Getting all the training you can get before you get married w children is always best but can be overcome.
Yes, get your street experience. Nothing beats solid fundamentals with situational awareness, observation and assessment skills, team communication and task delegation. Being the guy that is trusted to make quality decisions in tough times is golden.
Find some exceptional mentors in your area, learn your protocols and have fun with it.
GoodLuck!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm an Advanced EMT so I can shed a little light on it.

If you choose EMS for a full time career go medic. If you are doing it part time or are a non-transport ALS it's beneficial. I work primarily fire based on an ALS truck part time. My medic partner has a lot of weight lifted off their shoulders because I can take some ALS calls and do some ALS skills. I won't make it to the top of the pay scale or get the highest promotion because I'm not a medic. Working part time I'm ok with that.

If you're winding if going medic is for you this would be a good class to get your feet wet without spending a lot of money. If you struggle with it medic may not be for you. If you pass the course with ease it can only make you a better medic. In my area there is a bridge course offered to go from AEMT to Medic so if I do ever decide to take the plunge I'm not out anything.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top