Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2016 9:55:22 PM EDT
I've started reserving with a small, local department here and we are responsible for our own gear. Can someone suggest good body armor for regular patrol usage?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I say any of the major manufacturers would be fine.  I've worn 3 different brands over the years
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Point Blank Alpha Elite.   This is what we are going to.  I love mine it is the lightest and thinnest vest I have ever worn.  They say it is like 20 percent lighter, but I would say that it "feels" like it is 40 percent lighter and noticeably thinner than my old vest it replaced.  

http://www.pointblankenterprises.com/pointblankbodyarmor/?product=elite-male
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Whoa tough call.

IMO, you HAVE to go to a place with a big selection, spend some time and get fitted and try several on. I thought they all felt a bit different and covered just a bit different.

Around here there are lots of used/new old stock/expired armor suppliers. The prices are about half. If you have to pay for it yourself, I would go this route. Most of the excellent value stuff I have seen is Level IIA. Some of the newest and most expensive stuff felt more comfortable, but there are always tradeoffs.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome, thanks guys. My supervisor is going to try and hook me up with some of their expired, but I promised the wife I'd look into some newer issue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Point Blank Alpha Elite.   This is what we are going to.  I love mine it is the lightest and thinnest vest I have ever worn.  They say it is like 20 percent lighter, but I would say that it "feels" like it is 40 percent lighter and noticeably thinner than my old vest it replaced.  

http://www.pointblankenterprises.com/pointblankbodyarmor/?product=elite-male
View Quote

This.  I haven't gotten one yet, but those that have love them.  They're also designed to fit into their external carriers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy brand new.  Don't trust your life to used or expired.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the formula:

Better protection against more threats+more coverage+more comfort (thinner and lighter) = more money.

You don't want lower than IIA.

You might just want front and back. I always got extended (covers sides, too) protection.

AVOID ZYLON.

Don't shy away from a used vest. Look at the shape it is in.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are going to get one, if at all possible go see a person that knows how to size you and fit you for a vest.  The proper sizing for your body type will make the difference between a vest that is as comfortable as possible fit wise versus one that is uncomfortable and annoying to wear.  If you ever have a vest rubbing against your throat when seated, you will understand this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top