Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2016 7:52:49 PM EDT
I am currently an Active Duty Infantryman stationed in Fort Bragg, NC.

My contract ends in May and I have begun the search for a new career in Law Enforcement.

I have 5 years of military experience including a deployment to Iraq, and 3 years of a Criminal Justice education. I plan on completing my bachelors as soon as I can get some sort of regular schedule after I leave the Army.

How far out do most departments accept applications? I have applied at a couple of departments but their next Police Academy dates are before I actually get out of the Army. Is it worthless to start the application process this far out?

I am unfamiliar with what would be a fair starting salary for someone with my background so it makes it difficult to put down a desired salary on the application. I am also unsure about what benefit packages, and retirement plans I should be looking for when I choose to apply at a department. Any advice in these areas would be much appreciated.

I am not tied to any particular  area and am willing to relocate for the right job. So I am trying to find the right fit for me.

Any other advice you guys are willing to offer would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you wanting to stay in NC? I can help answer and NC specific questions if you have them,

As far as timeline on when to apply, I would probably start sending in applications in the fall if you are getting out of the military in May 2017. But that can also vary from agency to agency based on when their next academy starts. Do your research, most agencies have someone that serves as a recruiter, I would call around to any places you may like to work and ask to speak to the training division or a recruiter.

On not knowing was desired salary you should put down...I don't remember filling that out on any applications. Salary is set for everyone. Having military experience may earn you more pay depending on agency, but that is also usually set like x% pay for x amount of years served up to a certain time cap or just a flat pay increase. Some places may not offer pay increases for .mil but it will certainly help in getting hired.

In my experience in NC most all agencie's seem to have similar retirement plans or are in the state system. Look for an agency that offers a 401k and max out what you pay in that the local .gov will match. You won't miss the money if you do it early on and will pay off down the road.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do you want to live? Look at agencies there.

How much can you live on? Look at their pay!

How long do you want to work? Check the retirement options.

Look for a defined benefit plan. Some are healthier and will give you more money at retirement.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you wanting to stay in NC? I can help answer and NC specific questions if you have them,

As far as timeline on when to apply, I would probably start sending in applications in the fall if you are getting out of the military in May 2017. But that can also vary from agency to agency based on when their next academy starts. Do your research, most agencies have someone that serves as a recruiter, I would call around to any places you may like to work and ask to speak to the training division or a recruiter.

On not knowing was desired salary you should put down...I don't remember filling that out on any applications. Salary is set for everyone. Having military experience may earn you more pay depending on agency, but that is also usually set like x% pay for x amount of years served up to a certain time cap or just a flat pay increase. Some places may not offer pay increases for .mil but it will certainly help in getting hired.

In my experience in NC most all agencie's seem to have similar retirement plans or are in the state system. Look for an agency that offers a 401k and max out what you pay in that the local .gov will match. You won't miss the money if you do it early on and will pay off down the road.
View Quote

I have never heard of a pay bonus for military experience for police work. Most of the NC agencies I applied with normally contacted you within a month to two months for their first step in the interview or testing process. About the only thing that will get a new hire higher pay is a 4 year degree from what I have seen.

In NC for local stuff you're looking at low 30s starting (greensboro, Winston, burlington) to almost 40 (Charlotte, high point). If you want pay raises in NC, highway patrol is your best bet, and they hire often. Not to mention they aren't very hard to get on with and do not require a college degree. I have tons of friends who did some random shit a year or two out of high school, then applied to HP and got on with no LE experience whatsoever.

NC's retirement system is pretty good. You pay in 6.5% mandatory towards your pension, law enforcement has an additional retirement benefits, and the 401ks are pretty good too. I remember when my dad retired from the local sheriff's office his take home increased by a decent amount...
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#5]

EVERY single city or town I have worked in with Paid FD and LEO the LEO swore they took the wrong exam.  

That being said...GO FEDERAL
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have never heard of a pay bonus for military experience for police work. Most of the NC agencies I applied with normally contacted you within a month to two months for their first step in the interview or testing process. About the only thing that will get a new hire higher pay is a 4 year degree from what I have seen.

In NC for local stuff you're looking at low 30s starting (greensboro, Winston, burlington) to almost 40 (Charlotte, high point). If you want pay raises in NC, highway patrol is your best bet, and they hire often. Not to mention they aren't very hard to get on with and do not require a college degree. I have tons of friends who did some random shit a year or two out of high school, then applied to HP and got on with no LE experience whatsoever.

NC's retirement system is pretty good. You pay in 6.5% mandatory towards your pension, law enforcement has an additional retirement benefits, and the 401ks are pretty good too. I remember when my dad retired from the local sheriff's office his take home increased by a decent amount...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guilford County Sherrif's dept. and High Point Police both offer pay incentives for prior military.

If you are wanting to stay in NC I would look at agencies that run their own academies or pay you to attend BLET versus doing it on your own time and dime. You can always lateral somewhere else after completing the academy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

EVERY single city or town I have worked in with Paid FD and LEO the LEO swore they took the wrong exam.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anyone who wants to be a cop today needs to have their heads examined.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Richmond Va area Depts are hiring. Some even count your time in service towards career development.

starting between 40-45k
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
We're always accepting applications in Wilmington NC.

Starting salary is mid 30's, not a bad retirement.  Throw an application in, our recruiter is ex-army and we're only 2 hours or less from Bragg.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
How far out do most departments accept applications? I have applied at a couple of departments but their next Police Academy dates are before I actually get out of the Army. Is it worthless to start the application process this far out?

Most don't care, ours may schedule the required portions of your hiring process into a block of days to minimize the cost associated with travel and availability, provided you pass the initial sniff test(personal history statement and interviews).  Poly/psych/physical/ridealong all in 2 days if we know it impacts your travel.

I am unfamiliar with what would be a fair starting salary for someone with my background so it makes it difficult to put down a desired salary on the application. I am also unsure about what benefit packages, and retirement plans I should be looking for when I choose to apply at a department. Any advice in these areas would be much appreciated.
Most agencies have a base starting salary since they are a government agency, they will have pay bands.  Not all, but most.

Just FYI.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#11]
http://scmpd.org/joinscmpd/

The department, like others, has its problems.  You're familiar with how the government works being in the military, now add politics into it heavily.  With that said, Savannah will give you A WEALTH of experience in shootings, homicides, armed robberies, and many other things.  I worked there for 4 years and feel I had more experience than some of the county guys had in 20 back home in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
What state?  It varies from dept to dept too.  I hear LAPD has a specific program for those transitioning from the military to LE.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Both of these. FF if you want to pick a spot and stay, federal if you want/don't mind moving around.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Stay in the military. Lol

You will go from being viewed as a 'beloved soldier' to a demon cop..... because you write tickets and arrest people.

Military benefits, pay  and perks are much much MUCH better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stay in the military. Lol
You will go from being viewed as a 'beloved soldier' to a demon cop..... because you write tickets and arrest people.
Military benefits, pay  and perks are much much MUCH better.
View Quote

Maybe if you're a LEO in the south, good thing he said he's not tied to any area.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
if you have no problems with coming to NY, NYPD is always hiring. I have friends that went from taking the test to entering the academy in less than a year. As long as you score above a 95 (not a difficult test) you will be hired in a year or two max. Starting pay is livable for a single person, and it goes up pretty quick.

22.5yr retirement at half pay, excellent benefits.

And if you do 5 years in the NYPD, you can pretty much walk into any police officer job in the United States... LAPD was actively recruiting a few years ago from NYPD for guys with 5 years experience and longer. They were offering a $10k sign on bonus and bringing officers on at top pay...

Its a great job to get experience and then go somewhere else, or if you can stand NYC, do a career and go up the ranks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if you have no problems with coming to NY, NYPD is always hiring. I have friends that went from taking the test to entering the academy in less than a year. As long as you score above a 95 (not a difficult test) you will be hired in a year or two max. Starting pay is livable for a single person, and it goes up pretty quick.

And if you do 5 years in the NYPD, you can pretty much walk into any police officer job in the United States... LAPD was actively recruiting a few years ago from NYPD for guys with 5 years experience and longer. They were offering a $10k sign on bonus and bringing officers on at top pay...

Its a great job to get experience and then go somewhere else, or if you can stand NYC, do a career and go up the ranks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
if you have no problems with coming to NY, NYPD is always hiring. I have friends that went from taking the test to entering the academy in less than a year. As long as you score above a 95 (not a difficult test) you will be hired in a year or two max
View Quote

This has not been the experience of anyone I know. My friend took the test in 07 and was finally hired in 2011 after he graduated college. I took the test (scored a 98) in December of 2011 and haven't heard anything from them.

In the meantime I landed a much better police job in PA and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This has not been the experience of anyone I know. My friend took the test in 07 and was finally hired in 2011 after he graduated college. I took the test (scored a 98) in December of 2011 and haven't heard anything from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you have no problems with coming to NY, NYPD is always hiring. I have friends that went from taking the test to entering the academy in less than a year. As long as you score above a 95 (not a difficult test) you will be hired in a year or two max

This.

Link

The department made the decision to suspend the exam after conducting a survey in the spring of 1,200 people who dropped out of the recruitment process. The survey showed a common theme: Many choose to enter other careers because it can take up to four years before the department calls them to formally apply.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#20]
If you don't use your post 9/11 gi bill to go to a real 4 year college and get a real degree (not criminal justice) then you are about as dumb as the last blue corded dude who wanted to be another ex infantryman cop for 15 bucks an hour in the south...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you don't use your post 9/11 gi bill to go to a real 4 year college and get a real degree (not criminal justice) then you are about as dumb as the last blue corded dude who wanted to be another ex infantryman cop for 15 bucks an hour in the south...
View Quote
I agree.  I have a masters in CJ and I will tell everyone to stay away from CJ.  

Try finance or accounting.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I have to agree with staying away from Police work. But its your life and your choice, so go for it if you want. I would stay away from these high crime/racial strife areas, like Furguson MO. . Why not get a job in some conservative town that appreciates their police Dept. An answer to your one question about how far do you have to be from leaving the Army? The individual agency will be able to answer that. Many allow you to stay on the active hire list even if you refuse the job a few times.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I would steer clear of big urban police departments for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Bingo, if I had to do it all over again, FD is the way to go. Or be a nurse.

J-
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:18:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.

That must be some tasty Koolaid.  NYPD has a reputation for indiscipline, incompetence, disability scams and union shenanigans.  Good luck getting hired on as a dog catcher with an NYPD pedigree.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:45:40 AM EDT
[#26]
My good buddy is a former grunt from the 82nd.  I'm sure he could give you plenty of info.  We work in Austin, Texas and are hiring like a mo'fo.  If interested, shoot me an email

and I'll get some comms started.  Good luck...

KJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top