Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2016 12:16:20 PM EDT
How do you handcuff a suspect that only has one arm?

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used two different methods, depending if I have help or not.

Always carry a waist chain.  (if offender is aggravated wait for help)

If not aggravated hook other end to a belt loop (if no belt loop...wait for help,  or the wagon)

Anyone else?

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I watched a one armed drunk get cuffed ankle to wrist.

I left before he was moved.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I watched a one armed drunk get cuffed ankle to wrist.

I left before he was moved.
View Quote

Yep hobble from ankle to wrist. Play the stupid game win the stupid prize
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
That or cuff his one arm to his belt or belt loop of his pants. It just doesnt happen much.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That or cuff his one arm to his belt or belt loop of his pants. It just doesnt happen much.
View Quote

Yep, belt loop. Only had to do it once and he was compliant so it wasn't an issue. I guess if he made it an issue I'd have to get the waist chain.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back of belt ftw!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Just had a guy in court today.  

Both cuffs on one wrist and hooked to a waist chain and shackled with leg irons.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Back of belt ftw!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back of belt ftw!

This, belt loop isn't sturdy enough. Belt will work in a pinch but waist chain is ideal
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've used two different methods, depending if I have help or not.

Always carry a waist chain.  (if offender is aggravated wait for help)

If not aggravated hook other end to a belt loop (if no belt loop...wait for help,  or the wagon)

Anyone else?

View Quote

This, I used belly chain and put bracelet on single limb.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

the way I have done it was one to the hand and the other to his belt/belt loop behind his back.

J-
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I feel like this should be a poll... How many of us have actually handcuffed a one armed man!?!? Count me in, who knew it was so common
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]
O.K. a twist on the original problem.  The subject has an amputated hand, or deformed one,  where the rest of the arm is pretty much usable.  But a cuff will not stay on the free arm.  What do you do then?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Back of belt ftw!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back of belt ftw!

yep, had it only once,  good hand cuffed and the other cuff was around the leather belt in his pants, I figured that was better than a jeans belt loop.  Now the other hand was missing about halfway between the wrist and elbow.   He could have bonked me if he wanted to but was compliant.  It was just a bench warrant ride to see the judge looking for his money.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I feel like this should be a poll... How many of us have actually handcuffed a one armed man!?!? Count me in, who knew it was so common
View Quote

Your wish is my command.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
O.K. a twist on the original problem.  The subject has an amputated hand, or deformed one,  where the rest of the arm is pretty much usable.  But a cuff will not stay on the free arm.  What do you do then?
View Quote

NOT a LEO but I would cuff his good hand to one of his ankles.

He'd be off balance enough to not be dangerous.

(But what do I know?)
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Cuffed people that were in wheel chairs...
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#17]
As one of my partners was fighting another passenger I was yelling at the the driver and middle seat passenger in a standard cab truck to show me their hands. For some reason I couldn't quite figure out where the middle guys other hand was. Finally figured out it was missing at his elbow. Best part... Dudes last name was Hand. You can't make this stuff up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Normally just cuff to a belt or belt loop. We had a well known drunk around here that had one arm amputated at the elbow. Whenever you'd go to arrest him, you had to use one set of cuffs to cuff his good hand to his belt, and a hobble or set of leg chains to cuff his nub. Many a rookie had the shit knocked out of them by getting hit with the nub.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cuffed people that were in wheel chairs...
View Quote

Yep, two sets of cuffs. Wrist to wheel on each side.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#20]
What about a guy with no arms?

Or isn't he a threat since he's disarmed?

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#21]

How do you handcuff someone with those little T-Rex arms?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How do you handcuff someone with those little T-Rex arms?
View Quote

Booked a guy in one night on 1st watch.

Q: Nick name, street name, gang name?

A:  Flipper

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I did a guy in a cast once.

Cuffed his non-casted hand to his belt.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

(But what do I know?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(But what do I know?)

Not really a best practice, but you do what you have to.

Reason being is, when they intentionally fall on their face your department pays.

I carried huge HVAC fat zip ties and leg irons for these types of problems. Now I have a monadnock flexicuff rolled up in my back pocket.

This problem actually extends out. One of the worst whuppins' I ever saw was a Tennessee State Trooper getting his ass handed to him on the side of the road one night. This 85 pound drunk white trash bitch with child-sized hands and wrists slipped out of his cuffs and proceeded to wail on him. Him, being a gentleman, was trying to keep his hat on and keep her at arms' length until she tired out.

I was not a gentleman.

I slammed her and zip tied her hands and feet. We became best friends and she was a good source of information in that jurisdiction after that....

Little sized people and big / fat people don't cuff well. They are every bit as dangerous as the 85th percentile shaped / sized people, so I always cringe a little bit when I see some of the solutions other people have come up with.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#25]
If very biligerent install bull ring in nut sack, handcuff arm to that.

Suspect no yanky chain.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#26]
If you're not carrying ROPE in the trunk, you're making life difficult for yourself.

When on patrol, I actually had a lasso, (a legit, stiff lasso from a rodeo shop) and actually used it twice. Once for a fat, nekkid, EDP and the other time to pick out a new girlfriend on Amsterdam Ave. (She was AMAZING...and I was positive she gave me AIDS....which thankfully never happened)
I don't carry it on the new job, it's up on the wall in my garage now.

I also kept 12 feet of rappelling line in my patrol bag that was used as a leash for stray dogs hundreds of times. (Our precinct placed more ghetto-dogs with new families than most rescues)
and for coked-up space aliens and sleestaks that needed to be hog-tied before we threw them in the trunk for the ride to the hospital.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Once, there were many "Fugitive" jokes made.

Quoted:
I also kept 12 feet of rappelling line in my patrol bag that was used as a leash for stray dogs hundreds of times. (Our precinct placed more ghetto-dogs with new families than most rescues)
View Quote

It's not like you could take them to the ASPCA in Manhattan if you wanted to save them, they killed almost every dog we brought them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's not like you could take them to the ASPCA in Manhattan if you wanted to save them, they killed almost every dog we brought them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We went full-tilt around '95, when one of the girls tried to adopt a pup we dropped off the night before. The Sgt. let her and her partner go down to 110th St. in the RMP during meal.. She had $200 cash with her.
They told her they euthanized the dog about an hour after we dropped him off.  I'm sure I still have Polaroids of that dog in a box downstairs.
If the dog didn't attack us, it was NEVER brought to 110th St.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I was at my county jail, asked an inmate to put his hands out the flap to cuff up and only one came out. I thought he was being an asshole and not responding to anything I said and then another deputy told me he only has one arm. Whoops. We put him in a full setup, just two cuffs on one arm,
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Only in training.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#32]
transported more than a few in casts, some with missing fingers and a couple with missing arms. Belly chain is the only good way to do it....

On the street if I didn't have a chain, I would go around his belt in the middle of his back. no belt? Make a hole in his jeans in the center below the reinforced waist.

But if all else fails, a few wraps of gorilla tape around his wrist and waist with his arm at his side...

And everyone should have a roll of gorilla tape in their G-ride. I carry a roll of the 4" wide stuff and a small roll of the 1' wide. I have used it more than once to repair cars, mark locations and to fix broken gear 2 minutes before hitting a door...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Serious question.

I'm pretty flexible and can easily move my arms from behind my back to my front when cuffed (don't ask). Say you cuff me and set me on the curb and I take a notion to re-position myself from back to front for matters of comfort.

What is your reaction upon discovery when you return?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a Japanese jujutsu instructor who only had a right hand, left arm ended in a stub.  Whatever you do, do. NOT underestimate what people can do with a stump.  When he would punch with that stump, it was like getting a broomstick in the ribs.  He would put the stub in your sleeve, down your collar, inside the front of your shirt and throw me just like a man with a hand would.  I quickly learned to never give him an inch when sparring.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Serious question.

I'm pretty flexible and can easily move my arms from behind my back to my front when cuffed (don't ask). Say you cuff me and set me on the curb and I take a notion to re-position myself from back to front for matters of comfort.

View Quote

That all depends on your attitude and why you're in handcuffs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

I'm just sitting there calm as a Buddhist monk. Lets say a traffic stop for 10 mph over and the system flagged me for a warrant for a missed court date. This very incident did occur a few years back. The warrant belonged to somebody else with my same full name and was cleared up before I ever went to jail. The first officer was not even a little amused when he came back and I was scratching my nose. I never bothered arguing short of asking what the supposed warrant was for and informing him he was in error and that I was not that Fidel_Cashflow.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm just sitting there calm as a Buddhist monk. Lets say a traffic stop for 10 mph over and the system flagged me for a warrant for a missed court date. This very incident did occur a few years back. The warrant belonged to somebody else with my same full name and was cleared up before I ever went to jail. The first officer was not even a little amused when he came back and I was scratching my nose. I never bothered arguing short of asking what the supposed warrant was for and informing him he was in error and that I was not that Fidel_Cashflow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

First time you did it? "Hey man, don't be a jackass, put em back behind your back." And you are going to do it without me taking one off, you got em in front with them both on. After that if you do it again we put an end to the fuck fuck games
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never. But I had an arrestee who had to go number one really bad. I told him to hold it, there is a toilet inside the gate doors to the jail.
I pull into the jail. Go around to get the arresttee out who is still cuffed behind hus back. I walk him to the toilet and pull down his pants.
And the I pulled them up after he was done.
It was weird, but I would rather have done that than have him urinate in my patrol car, which happened before.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

First time you did it? "Hey man, don't be a jackass, put em back behind your back." And you are going to do it without me taking one off, you got em in front with them both on. After that if you do it again we put an end to the fuck fuck games
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious question.

Yep. Cuffs stay in the back.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I watched two Juneau,Alaska PD officers try to handcuff a one armed guy once. Broad daylight from a barstool in the Triangle Club about 1980. Dude was wasted but still pretty energetic. It was touch and go for quite a while but they finally got his arm shackled to his ankle. They had his wrist cuffed once and he got it loose from their grip and was hitting then on the head with the loose cuff. One of the most interesting thing ive ever seen out the bar window
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Carry a waist belt with lock, without the lock it is worthless.

Flex cuffs are great for those times when abnormal cuffing is needed too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Kicked a door in on a guy with a warrant for his arrest. He had a cast on his arm, cuffed his other arm to his pants and called for the jail van to come pick him up. We do not have cages in our cars.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I have once, ran cuff around his belt and one of the loops to keep it from sliding
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

In that case, you would get the eyebrow and would then be given the opportunity to return your hands behind your back, where the cuffs would be adjusted to fit properly.  If you refused, I would do it for you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#45]
My friend almost shot a 1 armed man because he wouldn't put both hands above his head.  He thought the guy was reaching for a weapon.

Had his buddy not screamed "He's only got one arm!", he'd have gotten a load of buckshot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top