Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2016 2:57:13 PM EDT
I think I'm being called as a witness in a traffic case in Miami; I was a witness to an accident last fall and gave my info and a statement to the officers that worked the scene, and then got a notice about 5/15 that a case was scheduled for hearing on the 31st.
It says on the notice that "Failure to appear as a witness may result in the dismissal of this case..." but that and "You must be on time and dress appropriately." at the very bottom of the page are the only things on there that indicates I'm supposed to show up.

I tried calling their dept. but I couldn't even get a live person on the phone.

I'd just show up, but I live on the other side of Tampa, so we're talking a 9+ hour round trip on a Tuesday. Not very appealing.

Scenario; Guy A riding a moped with no headlight, at night, in the rain, down a four lane (two lanes each way) road gets hit/hits a pickup truck (guy B) traveling across the road from side street to side street.
I had turned out onto the main road behind guy A after almost not seeing him, and saw the wreck from about 50yds back. I stopped and blocked traffic while my wife called 911 and we tried to convince the clearly injured (broken bones? not much blood) guy A not to try to get up to fight guy B, who had come back as soon as he'd gotten his truck parked. Guy A left via ambulance.

Now i'm not really seeing how there's any great moral imperative to prosecute either of these guys, and I can't see how the county/city/ whoever cares overmuch as this is the first I've heard about it.

So is there any reason I should show up?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's the mopeds fault and your word is the only way truck driver gets his damage covered that's a good reason.

Keep trying to contact someone as that is a hell of a long way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You should try calling the DA's office for where it happened.  Well is it a civil or criminal case?

If I get a last minute subpeona I call them and tell the what's what and if it's far make them get me a hotel room.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should try calling the DA's office for where it happened.  Well is it a civil or criminal case?

If I get a last minute subpeona I call them and tell the what's what and if it's far make them get me a hotel room.

View Quote

Thanks!
Took your advice and it turns out they pled it down or something and it's no longer going to court.
I'm glad I didn't just show up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Good deal.

That'll happen too, learned my lesson after driving 3 hours once.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of courts do Skype-style video depositions too, including on trial day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top