Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2016 8:34:56 PM EDT
My younger brother is graduating high school and is starting EMT school what are some useful good gifts for around $50.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm police, but if he is planning on working on an ambulance I'd say a decent multi tool, flashlight or even a head lamp, will make it easier working on people outside at night...usefulness of a head lamp is often overlooked on police and ems as far as I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Liftman classic 2 stethoscope or a decent pair of trauma shears.  A decent pocket knife; Boker and S&W used to have EMS oriented knives.

8 years EMT, never needed a multifoil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Space Pen. I still have the one i carried for my entire career. An EMT does paperwork,takes notes on every call.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Space Pen. I still have the one i carried for my entire career. An EMT does paperwork,takes notes on every call.
View Quote

Ours only use a stylus.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If I'm working the box I carry a Fisher F-701 with a space pen refil. Bench made 7 hook and a pair of trauma shears on my radio strap. Littman Classic II for steathascope.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Like others have said littman Classic 2 for a stethoscope or for trauma sheers I like my leather man raptors
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#9]
any metal streamlight pen light. use mine daily. Microstream c4 is my current favorite.

Nice pocket knife.

gerber raptor shears.

a good pen, but it'll get borrowed and not returned, or dirty, or covered in some type of filth. I use cheap disposables and toss them if I have to loan them out.

Haven't used a hook/strap cutter, ever.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of the replies. I got him a set of Rip Shears and a light thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Been a medic for a while... the single most used, handiest thing I ever put in a pocket was a bright and durable flashlight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

a good pen, but it'll get borrowed and not returned, or dirty, or covered in some type of filth. I use cheap disposables and toss them if I have to loan them out.
View Quote

pens are are like every other disposable item on the rig
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#13]
The two things I never go to work without or fail to carry are a good flashlight (like a Surefire or Streamlight) and trauma shears.  I'll have to respectfully disagree with some others here though about getting really good shears - I buy cheap or middle of the road shears - they have too much tendency to get lost or misplaced - you show up to a scene with multiple agencies, someone else doesn't have shears so you hand them yours, they absentmindedly stick them in your pocket and you don't even realize they're gone until 4 hours later.  Same thing with pens.

If you want to buy a gee-whiz kind of toy, go for a Leatherman Z Rex strap cutter.  It's got the cool toy factor, but honestly, he won't ever use it much to rip seatbelts or break windows, but having the built in oxygen wrench is invaluable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The two things I never go to work without or fail to carry are a good flashlight (like a Surefire or Streamlight) and trauma shears.  I'll have to respectfully disagree with some others here though about getting really good shears - I buy cheap or middle of the road shears - they have too much tendency to get lost or misplaced - you show up to a scene with multiple agencies, someone else doesn't have shears so you hand them yours, they absentmindedly stick them in your pocket and you don't even realize they're gone until 4 hours later.  Same thing with pens.

If you want to buy a gee-whiz kind of toy, go for a Leatherman Z Rex strap cutter.  It's got the cool toy factor, but honestly, he won't ever use it much to rip seatbelts or break windows, but having the built in oxygen wrench is invaluable.
View Quote

I only let other people touch my expensive ass scissors if we are in the back of the box and moving. Can't disappear that way. I actually had a really good student one day so I put them in charge of keeping track of them on calls. They got top marks after that ride out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Another idea for you, not medical related, but if your brother has any thoughts of getting an EMS job after school...

A lot of companies and services have their ambulances post on street corners as part of system status management, so the crew is away from the station a lot.  Having an Ipad or tablet is a great way to pass the time.  Anyway, consider getting him a 12 volt cigarette plug inverter, something like this one from Amazon.  I bought something similar to this from a Pilot truck stop for around $30-40 and I use it all the time.  It's got USB and AC plugs so my partner and I can both plug in and charge our phones and tablets, and so far it works great.

Not medical, not sexy, but useful both on and off the job.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Liftman classic 2 stethoscope or a decent pair of trauma shears.  A decent pocket knife; Boker and S&W used to have EMS oriented knives.

8 years EMT, never needed a multifoil.
View Quote

8 years EMS, 9 Fire
Used a pocket knife once. Flashlight, almost every shift (nocturnal). Multitool, usually once a week.   Doesn't mean I dont carry one of each. No whacker here. 9 years, 2 states, 3 companies in NY (what can I say, I liked the fast life) and 1 in Pa has taught me whats needed and isn't.

Pilot G-2 Pens, wrist watch, Spyderco Rescue Knife, Gerber Multitool, Surefire Light. Durable cell phone charger. Mechanix gloves. Trauma Shears (doesn't need to be fancy ass raptors), Zippo.

Hit those books. plain and simple
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Fancy ass raptors +1    Dad got them for me.  Well worth it.  The benchmade EMS knife sucks . A good DOT raincoat if his company allows is a good option or a coupon for boots when he figures out how much to the cool looking ones suck.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top