Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2016 10:04:22 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am needing a second car to travel to the academy back and forth 4 days a week and 100 miles each way. I have spent alot of ass time in the passenger seat but never drove one before. The reason I was leaning towards the P71 a 06 model or newer was my driveway is 1/2 mile and 1/4 of that is rough dirt road. It has turned my 05 F150 into a squeaky bastard. I would choose a smaller 4 cylinder but it just wouldn't hold up on my driveway.

So question, is there a better vehicle I can get for under 3000? I know they are tough, fairly reliable if I can find a old chiefs / detectives car.  I am not in one bit worried about any jabs or jokes about me going to the academy driving a old police car.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
What about a ford ranger from the late 90s to early 2000s. They got pretty similar mileage to the CVPI and they were pretty tough little trucks. I'm in the group of people that wouldn't pay a dime for about 99% of the retired cars out there. It would really have to be a well documented cherry for me to even think about it
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
If I was an academy instructor and a trainee rolled up in a personally owned CVPI...We would have some fun
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been on the hunt for a ranger but none under 3500 with less than 250k on them. Searched autotrader and craigslist. It would be preferable though. The reason I was going the ol CVPI route as I can get a fairly descent one for under 2k and it can stand up to my road. I am not worried about other cadets or instructors trying to haze me over a vehicle. I can take alot of jabs but I would put a end to it if it got really bad. Its not a high school.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I reckon you'll get crap for it showing up to academy in a cvpi, and even more so when you "put an end to it, this isn't high school." But best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Again, I'm in the same boat as most of the guys here who have been on the job for any amount of time that says "no way in hell". I would find just about any older compact pickup
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
No, and with the attitude you seem to have for it (the high school comment), they'd haze you even more.

I mean I crashed my car on the way there and showed up with the hood duct taped down and STILL got a standing ovation and laughed at for the next month... lol God help your soul.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, and with the attitude you seem to have for it (the high school comment), they'd haze you even more.

I mean I crashed my car on the way there and showed up with the hood duct taped down and STILL got a standing ovation and laughed at for the next month... lol God help your soul.
View Quote

Yea, it would be merciless around my dept. lol. We have a guy that has a CVPI as a POV. He's been here a few years now and it still hasnt let up
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't want an old cop car as a first, second or fifteenth car.  Especially driving that shitbox to the academy.  If it was my only ride, through some unfortunate chain of events, I'd park it three blocks away and walk the rest of the way.  Just so I wouldn't get destroyed by the instructors, every day I was there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Eh, Iv been searching hard for something along the 1500 to 3000 range. I think I found a subaru wrx wagon. CVPI Isn't my first choice and for the hazing, iv figured up my hours I have donated since 2007 and its close to 9000 hours or a little more, I normally reserve 25+ hours a week. I know how to take a hazing as a reserve. I can laugh off most of anything and accept everything thats given. I even talked to and asked the coordinator if I would be fucked with and the answer was not in the least little bit.

I know how cvpi's are treated, some worse than a 5 dollar hooker and some not so bad.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
If I was driving 800 miles/week and paying for the gas I'd be looking for something that gets +30mpg and grade my dirt driveway or just go slow enough for the 1/4 mile that I'm not breaking shit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Well hell, I lucked up. I woke up late this morning around 10 and there are 4 large piles of red clay and 2 piles of rock. I called my dad and asked him what the hell as I sure as hell didn't order any and I never ask him for anything. His buddy owns a dirt / rock company and brought it down early this morning. Guess I need to grill him a steak. So, Going to try to find a honda accord or something of the sort.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Yea.....don't be that guy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea.....don't be that guy.
View Quote

Honestly man, I am really not that kinda guy. Not a poser, not trying to be tacticool. It was just a option. I found a nice lil spyder eclipse in town. Chick car but gets good mileage and would be fun to let the top down.

Dad brought his tractor and box blade with bucket, so this week I am going to start working on my drive way and yard.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#14]
An Eclipse? I'd suggest the CVPI over the Eclipse then.

Every male Eclipse driver I've ever encountered was a complete douchebag. Must be some type of Mitsubishi corporate policy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top