Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2016 3:25:55 PM EDT
FWIW this seems to be cyclic and shows up every few decades.

It happened in the late 60s/early 70s and died off. It was leftist then and is leftist now.

This, too, shall pass.

Still, all in all it is a rough time to be a cop. Keep your chin up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. Next time they need help just have them call a hippie
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It happened in the late 60s/early 70s and died off. It was leftist then and is leftist now.

This, too, shall pass.

View Quote

Been a cop for 21 years and counting and there is little change from then to now. Only difference is that with the proliferation of social media it actually reaches a wide audience.

J-
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Been a cop for 21 years and counting and there is little change from then to now. Only difference is that with the proliferation of social media it actually reaches a wide audience.

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, too, shall pass.

J-

Saw what I saw back in the late 60s and early to mid 70s

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been in this racket since 1979, and military before that.
Sames issues, just the media appears to be the driving force behind the hype now.

I don't like reporters, don't like the lack of incorrect reporting, and as far as I am concerned, until the media starts to get it right, they can all go to hell.

LE does have it's bad apples, just like anything else, but the majority is just trying to do the right thing.

Let the haters begin, because I just do not care anymore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It happened in the late 60s/early 70s and died off.
View Quote

Not where I worked.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't bother me. Right now is probably the most profitable time to be in law enforcement. Oh you want to hold a protest against the police? That's fine, I'll get paid 30-50 an hour to watch you protest me & my job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If we are honest, nobody really likes cops because no one really likes to be told what to do.  I have been one for 20 years and tell people that are interested in a career in LE that if they want to be liked they should be a firefighter.  
The bigger problem is that nationwide there is less respect for the law, and law enforcement in general right now than there was a few years ago.  There have always been certain areas that were anti LE, but now unfortunately it is everywhere, I have seen plenty of posts in the GD that are anti LE.
To make matters even worse many politicians have also embraced the anti LE sentiment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Federal anything I have an issue with. One of my best friends was the local Chief of Police and a couple of my childhood friends are policemen, another is a city marshal. Feds and I will never see eye to eye, simply because I believe most of the laws they enforce are over-reaching and un-Constitutional.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both friends and clients who are in Law Enforcement (City/Town Cops, Sheriff's Deputies, and Prison Guards)  Each one of them are good and decent people.  They are all doing next to impossible work, under horrible conditions.  Most of them are dealing with the dregs of society on a daily basis.  People who would love nothing more than to see them dead.  

So I try and give the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.  At the same time I have no problem calling out those who clearly do wrong, and abuse their office.    

There is good and bad in all walks of life.  What I try not to do, is paint the good with the same brush as I use to paint the bad.  YMMV

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If we are honest, nobody really likes cops because no one really likes to be told what to do.  I have been one for 20 years and tell people that are interested in a career in LE that if they want to be liked they should be a firefighter.  
The bigger problem is that nationwide there is less respect for the law, and law enforcement in general right now than there was a few years ago.  There have always been certain areas that were anti LE, but now unfortunately it is everywhere, I have seen plenty of posts in the GD that are anti LE.
To make matters even worse many politicians have also embraced the anti LE sentiment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Targeting LE is the easiest game around.

They make a great "pissing post":   Always gonna' be there, easy to find, easy to reach, easy to blame, always standing mute and at the service of their politician masters who also resent them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Willing and enthusiastic enforcers of the whims of a corrupt government. What's not to like?

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Plenty of leftist cops now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Willing and enthusiastic enforcers of the whims of a corrupt government. What's not to like?

View Quote

That's a HUGE blanket you're throwing around.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Usually the political appointees running large Police Departments, the occasional elected Sheriff, and the low-activity chickenshits climbing the ladder by kissing ass, dodging calls and standing in the background when "the fight is on".  

Most cops on the street are FAR, FAR, FAR from leftist.

There ya' go.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Usually the political appointees running large Police Departments, the occasional elected Sheriff, and the low-activity chickenshits climbing the ladder by kissing ass, dodging calls and standing in the background when "the fight is on".  

There ya' go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There ya' go.

True story.

Most WORKING cops are pretty damned conservative.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, too, shall pass.

J-

Yeah, instantaneous information. Plus nothing "sells" for the media then bad cop stories. Just look at these gun sights, even so called conservatives lap them right up. Were the ones on the front lines taking the heat and often dealing with terrible stuff. I dont have to tell this to anyone here. I think too there is a fascination with cop stuff. I sometimes run into people who seem surprised theres a person just like them behind the uniform when we interact.

I dont think its cyclic friends. I think its here to stay. I hope young people coming on have the right temperament and expectations of this job. Whatever you do you just cant lose your cool.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, stop shooting my dog, then.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, instantaneous information. Plus nothing "sells" for the media then bad cop stories. Just look at these gun sights, even so called conservatives lap them right up. Were the ones on the front lines taking the heat and often dealing with terrible stuff. I dont have to tell this to anyone here. I think too there is a fascination with cop stuff. I sometimes run into people who seem surprised theres a person just like them behind the uniform when we interact.

I dont think its cyclic friends. I think its here to stay. I hope young people coming on have the right temperament and expectations of this job. Whatever you do you just cant lose your cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, too, shall pass.

J-

Yes, it is here to stay, and I also think there will be fewer and fewer people willing to be cops.  The reasons I suspect for this are worthy of a thread all its own.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Not just that but fewer cops willing to do cop stuff. We have units guys would have killed to get into years ago out scrounging for people now.

The safest ones are the ones who get their tickets and then you dont much see the rest of the night. I wouldnt come on if I was deciding right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top