Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2016 11:13:47 AM EDT
So I just dropped a check in the mail for a fine we received from the state of Maryland...68/55.  I know things are different by state or region, but we don't use these cameras for punishment of speeding in my area, and in my 18 years of policing, have never met another officer who would stop a car for 68/55.  It got me wondering...in areas of camera tickets, do cops who ever get these in the mail get out of paying them?  You can message me a response if you want to keep it discreet.

Civil penalties based on a picture....so much for officer discretion....
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
So you could take a picture of your badge like you would have shown the cop to get out of your ticket,  and you never thought people get tickets for 13 over in a 55 zone.  You were speeding and got what you deserved and did not get a free pass, officer discretion? oh you meant  blue privilege cameras don't give any.  After all its all about making money.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a traffic case where a red light tech issued a ticket to a city dump truck with blues very clearly flashing in the video, plow down and spreading sand.

This was at 03:30 during a snow storm and emergency deployment.

It was fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you could take a picture of your badge like you would have shown the cop to get out of your ticket,  and you never thought people get tickets for 13 over in a 55 zone.  You were speeding and got what you deserved and did not get a free pass, officer discretion? oh you meant  blue privilege cameras don't give any.  After all its all about making money.

Snowman357
View Quote

Aren't you a peach...
 You think I never gave a pass to someone not affiliated with law enforcement?  You seem to be assuming a whole lot, but I'm sure it's got nothing to do with any kind of bias you might have.
 I never said I didn't get what I deserved.  And I didn't try to get out of it.  But because it is an unfamiliar concept in my area, I was wondering about other cops' experience with it.  What I said was that in my area, highway speed enforcement has a larger buffer.  That's for everyone.  So for all the speeding enforcement I used to do, and wouldn't stop a car unless it was doing 72 or 73 in a 55 zone, consider thousands of citizens that I didn't try to stop, who were technically speeding.  Oh my, We are all such elitist thugs!!!
 I know there are asshole cops out there.  Now just imagine in your line of work, Not everyone is an asshole.  What a concept, huh?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Bias I have no bias you said "do cops who ever get these in the mail get out of paying them? You can message me a response if you want to keep it discreet.

Civil penalties based on a picture....so much for officer discretion...." you say discretion I say favoritism in 18 years how many cops have gotten tickets from you,  by the way "citizens" yeah that's you also don't try to pretend that cops do not look out (others words look away) for each other.   Just like every time a cop car speeds by its going to a call never just speeding,  and a$$holes in my line of work do not have power over someone else's life, just not enough over watch on cops causing problems for the few good apples.
 If you have no problem getting what you deserve no need to ask how to get out of it as you must know that is wrong since " You can message me a response if you want to keep it discreet. "  

Snowman357
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Snowman357
View Quote

A swing and miss by Snowman357... there is no benefit to my agency when I write a citation. My agency gets about 3% of the fine... so on a $113 citation, my agency gets maybe $4. By the time I pull out on the road, run the speeder down, write the citation, give them the required materials concerning their offense, document the citation in my radar log, and get back to work, there is no "profit" from that $4 or $5 that the agency gets. Next week, I have traffic court, I will get $45 and hour with a 2-hour minimum and the deputy who wrote the ticket will be getting about $30 and hour with the same 2-hour minimum... yep, we will make a killing if we win the case...

OP... I'm with you... I don't stop until 15+ over the limit and I have paid camera citations for my kids wit NO QUESTIONS ASKED and no attempt what so ever to "get out of it". I don't like the idea of camera-based citations.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Aren't you a peach...

You think I never gave a pass to someone not affiliated with law enforcement?  You seem to be assuming a whole lot, but I'm sure it's got nothing to do with any kind of bias you might have.

I never said I didn't get what I deserved.  And I didn't try to get out of it.  But because it is an unfamiliar concept in my area, I was wondering about other cops' experience with it.  What I said was that in my area, highway speed enforcement has a larger buffer.  That's for everyone.  So for all the speeding enforcement I used to do, and wouldn't stop a car unless it was doing 72 or 73 in a 55 zone, consider thousands of citizens that I didn't try to stop, who were technically speeding.  Oh my, We are all such elitist thugs!!!

I know there are asshole cops out there.  Now just imagine in your line of work, Not everyone is an asshole.  What a concept, huh?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Snowman357

Aren't you a peach...

This escalated quickly. Here your safe at 9 over. Cops regularly stop at 10 over. And marked cars tickets take forever to track down the driver. If no bonafide excuse or out of area, the cite is forwarded to supervisor with a suggestion to pay.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
in my 18 years of policing, have never met another officer who would stop a car for 68/55.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't have traffic enforcement cameras in my area.  Local city did have red light cameras for a little while but they are gone now.

I routinely stop for 10 mph over the limit.  I give lots of warnings.  Some people just talk their way into a ticket though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
in my 18 years of policing, have never met another officer who would stop a car for 68/55.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Around here we had a vote.  We voted those motherfucking cameras right out of town.  They are no longer in use.  

This is what you need to do.

All the cops got tickets.  They knew where to serve them, because they knew exactly where they worked.  Regular citizens could dodge the server for 120 days and not have to go to court or pay, in most cases.  

They also caught disciplinary paperwork for not wearing their seatbelts, hacking on their MDT while in motion,  and for talking on their phones when blowing the red lights or speeding.    The only way to get out of the initial citation is to prove you were traveling to a priority call at that time, which isn't hard to track.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy crap.  To the haters:  I wrote the check.  I never tried to get out of paying it.  Since we don't have this kind of thing here, I WAS ASKING OUT OF CURIOUSITY.

Unwind your short hairs and go be miserable to someone else.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Holy crap.  To the haters:  I wrote the check.  I never tried to get out of paying it.  Since we don't have this kind of thing here, I WAS ASKING OUT OF CURIOUSITY.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Snowman357
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
also don't try to pretend that cops do not look out (others words look away) for each other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
also don't try to pretend that cops do not look out (others words look away) for each other.

No one's pretending that doesn't happen. Because it does. Because that other officer is likely the one who will come to our aid when trouble starts. Not you. Want a free donut? Go put on an apron and stop complaining.

and a$$holes in my line of work do not have power over someone else's life

Also correct. Go try making that decision for a few hours, and see if your worldview doesn't change a bit.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/w5tejrsdln1hybg6vjuj.gif

I relate better to Dewey Oxenberger.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Scottsdale and paradise valley love to set up mobile camera units all over. We just throw the tickets away
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Ttt
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Camera tickets are "black and white". I understand that they are setup and managed by private companies that profit from each ticket written. Therefore, they are sometimes set for short light cycles, etc. to maximize revenue. Since it is technology, it isn't likely that appealing them would be successful either.

All that said, their installation is strictly to bring in money to the town and the company that manages them, they aren't there to improve safety!

We don't typically have them in Eastern MA either. As a Constable I received a phone call from an AZ company wanting me to serve someone local for a red light camera violation in AZ. I might have quoted them a little higher price than I would for normal civil process . They said it would cost too much so they went elsewhere or didn't, I don't care. I guess they wanted me to do it for $25 so they could maximize their profits, sorry they called the wrong person for that!

BTW, officer written tickets in MA give 50% of the fine to the town (essentially goes to the school budget) and 50% to the state (welfare funds) for every fine paid. Officers get 4 hrs minimum OT in court if it goes to trial (1st heard by a magistrate and only the salaried town prosecutor has to show up for that hearing).

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No one's pretending that doesn't happen. Because it does. Because that other officer is likely the one who will come to our aid when trouble starts. Not you. Want a free donut? Go put on an apron and stop complaining.
I don't want a donut that's your thing!  So by your thinking he is above the law and deserves special treatment!

Also correct. Go try making that decision for a few hours, and see if your worldview doesn't change a bit.
Make that decision like hey that guy pissed me off so now I will write some tickets that will show him.  I have seen enough of cops that abuse their power and get away with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want a donut that's your thing!  So by your thinking he is above the law and deserves special treatment!

Make that decision like hey that guy pissed me off so now I will write some tickets that will show him.  I have seen enough of cops that abuse their power and get away with it.

Oh and before you go there I have no tickets or arrest nor anybody in my family.  Every day you can find more and more articles about cops abusing their power, If I had that many bad apples I would chop the tree down and start over.

I know by now you want a donut (you brought them up not me) so go get one.  I'm done here.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh and before you go there I have no tickets or arrest nor anybody in my family.  Every day you can find more and more articles about cops abusing their power, If I had that many bad apples I would chop the tree down and start over.

I know by now you want a donut (you brought them up not me) so go get one.  I'm done here.

Snowman357
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowman357

First off, be very careful when you quote me. I never said the bolded part.

Secondly, we are all the better that you are now finished. Thanks.

Of course you can find more and more articles about police abusing their power. You need a statistics course.

There are maybe 18 THOUSAND police departments in the US, and in the neighborhood of a MILLION officers. If you didn't find a couple of cases every few days, I'd be surprised.

In fact, there is a ton of issues in modern law enforcement. I point them directly at people like you. You are getting the enforcement you've begged for. Enjoy it.

What kind of moron would chop a valuable tree down over one or two spoiled apples, I'll leave for you to figure out.

Lastly, this isn't General Discussion. I don't have to be civil with you. Tell your story walking.

Edited to add: 2.

"Bashing" of a career field (To include snide remarks, generalizations or contemptuous remarks) is not tolerated in this forum. These posts can lead to the termination of your posting privledges on the site.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
What county and roadway in MD did it happen on?  We have them in my county, they only get triggered if you are going 11+ over and there is zero discretion, but that doesnt stop idiots from stomping on the brakes to ten under the limit.  Unless we are going to a call or have some work related reason for speeding they will give them to us.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Snowman357
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowman357

GD is down the hall to the right, enjoy, you'll fit in just fine.

speed enforcement by camera is entirely bullshit. glad we don't have it here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

speed enforcement by camera is entirely bullshit. glad we don't have it here.
View Quote

Yes it is.

Also, revenue generation in the name of traffic enforcement is bullshit too.

But I really, really don't like the cameras, speed or stop.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Snowman go back and look for the trucker group the bandit is looking for you. Reading must not have been your strong point in the first sentence it was clearly stated check sent. I am now retired and glad I don't have to put up with shit heads like you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What county and roadway in MD did it happen on?  We have them in my county, they only get triggered if you are going 11+ over and there is zero discretion, but that doesnt stop idiots from stomping on the brakes to ten under the limit.  Unless we are going to a call or have some work related reason for speeding they will give them to us.
View Quote

It was on the interstate...i695, I think?  Near Baltimore on the way to Annapolis.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So I just dropped a check in the mail for a fine we received from the state of Maryland...68/55.  I know things are different by state or region, but we don't use these cameras for punishment of speeding in my area, and in my 18 years of policing, have never met another officer who would stop a car for 68/55.  It got me wondering...in areas of camera tickets, do cops who ever get these in the mail get out of paying them?  You can message me a response if you want to keep it discreet.

Civil penalties based on a picture....so much for officer discretion....
View Quote
My buddy pleaded not guilty , he got a court date, an officer from that town showed up, the judge looked at the picture and asked how he was pleading not guilty.

He said you see any evidence of me driving that vehicle?

The case was dismissed for lack of evidence.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Not a cop, just wanted to say I fucking hate driving in Maryland. They love making the speed limit 25 or 35 when it should be 55 and then setting up a camera. The whole state is filled with nondrivers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#30]
The blue privilege isn't uniformly applied, nor should it be, if at all.  Years ago I got pulled over for expired tags.  I hadn't said anything about where I worked until the Trooper asked me.  He asked to see my ID, so I showed him.  It was April, and he said my plates expired in November....I was really embarrassed that I had missed it, but it only got worse....he said "Yep, they expired 17 months ago, in November of the year before last."  I was so embarrassed and ashamed, I started laughing and said, "Write it up, geezus, I sure deserve it".  I was amazed that I hadn't been pulled over in the 17 months since they expired.  I renewed the plates, sent copies of compliance to the court, along with the fine.  The court sent back my fine...but I sure as hell deserved the citation.  I would have been even more embarrassed if I hadn't gotten one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Our internal affairs unit would go by each precinct and check for officer-s cars with expired tags (decals affixed to the metal plate).  Got one of my Sergeant-s.  He had it in his glove box because we had an issue with people stealing them off the metal plate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top