Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2016 11:56:28 PM EDT
My favorite was cards after dinner to see who would do the dishes. It was a great time to wind down, rank had no privilege and cheating was OK unless you had iron clad proof of cheating, then the cheater went straight to the tank. The dishes always got done. Calls never got held up. As a matter of fact a bell usually killed the game. We also had games that had been played so long we didn't know how they originated. A couple we did. Most were poker based with multiple wild cards and weird draws. The newest game we played was called No Spleen Dean.
Why? Fred Dean was a fire camp superintendent that was shot by his black wife. So the rules are as follows  
5 cards dealt
3s,5s, and 7s are wild (shot with a .357)
MUST take 2 on your draws. (shot twice)
Queen of Spades kills your hand (should be self explanatory)
Since his spleen was removed it worked in perfectly for the name of the game.
The cooks hand was always for sale so you could buy a winner. Some of the bidding wars were hilarious and high dollar, especially if you paid and bought a turd. The money from the cooks hand went into a kitty that was usually spent on Christmas or Thanksgiving when we had families in.
So what happens out there in the rest of the country? I have heard of dice, coin flips and so on.
Share and I'll post a few more games up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Many different variations of cards games,
21 where you get three cards but get to give one back, and then trade with the deck if you want, or trade with the person next to you.  Those who get 21 walk, those who don't play another round until there's just 1 or 2 left.

The wheel of destiny or despair

Street/Territory trivia

Egg toss
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many different variations of cards games,
21 where you get three cards but get to give one back, and then trade with the deck if you want, or trade with the person next to you.  Those who get 21 walk, those who don't play another round until there's just 1 or 2 left.

The wheel of destiny or despair

Street/Territory trivia

Egg toss
View Quote

21 sounds like a good one.
West Hollywood. A 5 card wildcard game. 7's, 8's and queens are wild. Station 7 and 8 are in West Hollywood, CA. The queens are self explanatory. Google West Hollywood.
Fornication, play with 7 cards, pass 2 to the left, 1 to the right, Then draw and play your best 5.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Indian Poker was always fun, for chores

You held a card up on your forehead for all the others to see, but you did not see it.  Then other cards dealt out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Posh, or as seen in "Beerfest", The Mexican.  A game of lying.

-Dice game all about lying. 2 di in a home made "cup" (non transparent and with a base, base has legs). Player 1 shakes cup and lifts to see his numbers without showing anyone. Says a number,  next player must beat it. If he doesn't beat it on the roll, he must lie that he did. Player in front can call,  and cup is lifted. If he had it,  the player that called gets a chip. If he didn't, player that lied does. 3 strikes and your out. Lowest possible number is 32, higher number must be read first (there's no 34 fit example. "POSH" is double. So two 1s, is "Posh 1". Posh 6 can only be tied. (If I roll a posh 4, and you shake to beat me,  the next person usually goes with "just shake it and lift it",  meaning he's calling the bluff).  *key note,you can lie at any time, from first roll to the last*

The kicker: if you roll a 21, the person in front automatically gets a chip. This is called "The Mexican". Usually accompanied by the rest of the crew singing the typical mariachi song.  

Sounds long winded but the game moves when everyone knows how to play. Even harder with the more players you have.

That or LRC are the games of choice in my FD.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Bring in Ice Cream if you're working overtime.
Bring in cake if its your birthday.
A promotion gets a steak dinner for everyone in the house, courtesy of the promotee.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
We rolled the bones for all the chores. Cook rotated and was exempt from chores. Normal poker hands, yahtzee could bump anyone.

For a short time we did an in-house fear factor. Cook would come up with something crazy, roll the bones and loser had to do it or ALL the chores. Was hysterical until a couple of overtimers complained they felt "pressured" to participate.
Some examples:
Swallow two live goldfish
Drink 1/2 cup of Gefilte Fish juice, and one "fish"
East a small portion of Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup and 1/2 cup of pancake syrup.
Taser oneself.
Someone had to eat the fat trimmed off a t-bone steak
It really was hysterical.

Also our shift, our station, we outlawed phones during dinner. If your phone rang, chirped, vibrated while we're sitting at the table the next shift they cook. All cell phones left the room. It was so peaceful.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Sadly our department is new so we have no traditions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need to start some!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You need to start some!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to start some!

This
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Name in the paper= Ice cream for your shift
Picture in the paper= Ice Cream for the whole house
Get on TV= Dinner for your shift

On the PD side.
First Taser deployment got you a toaster
All the same paper and TV things as FD
FNG's were constantly jacked with until someone else was the FNG.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to buy steaks for the house for every promotion I made.

Malts/shakes for the house if you were betting anyone about anything.

If you were ever late, you better bring in at least two to three dozen donuts the next shift.

Rookies were always lured outside to receive a five gallon bucket of water coming down from the roof.

We always played poker to see who cooked, who did dishes, who cleaned the tables and floors.

Everyone had their own specific seat at the table. No switching around.

When any of us retired, we got to keep our helmets, badge, boots, I.D. (and in my case my gun. I was a fire marshal when I retired).

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A promotion gets a steak dinner for everyone in the house, courtesy of the promotee.

View Quote

Yes!!, When a rookie clears probation it steak or prime rib. Same with Paramedic intern.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

On the PD side.
First Taser deployment got you a toaster
View Quote

Ohhhh

That is RICH!

Only way it could be any better is if it were permanently stuck to 'burnt'. Maybe a small george foreman grill with a taser international sticker on it...  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Pizza Friday, thanks Captain

Also, probies get lots of random water attacks
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Cookers don't clean and cleaners don't cook.

"Pop served up" is a common bet. Loser has to buy a pop out of the machine and serve it to the winner on ice and in a glass at ANY TIME the winner asked.

Probies fill the ice bucket and answer the phone, any deviation of this is bad for the probie.

Probie sits with back towards the TV and farthest from the phone at dinner.

If working OT you drop extra money for "treats" or put the extra money towards a better meal and no treats. Treats could be everything from ice cream to lottery tickets.

Senior FF's and Chiefs ride forward facing when in the back of the truck as a courtesy.

Some stations play "Level of suck" to see which cleaners clean. You roll dice to get out cleaning dishes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cookers don't clean and cleaners don't cook.

"Pop served up" is a common bet. Loser has to buy a pop out of the machine and serve it to the winner on ice and in a glass at ANY TIME the winner asked.
We used to play heads out. The whole crew gathers and flips coins. If you flip heads you are out. Down to the last two The first to flip tails buys all the drinks.

Probies fill the ice bucket and answer the phone, any deviation of this is bad for the probie.
No rookies on the phone. All they're gonna do is hand the phone to the captain. I ran out battalion staffing desk and was battalion training officer. I didn't need an extra guy in the mixr
Probie sits with back towards the TV and farthest from the phone at dinner.

If working OT you drop extra money for "treats" or put the extra money towards a better meal and no treats. Treats could be everything from ice cream to lottery tickets.

Senior FF's and Chiefs ride forward facing when in the back of the truck as a courtesy.

Some stations play "Level of suck" to see which cleaners clean. You roll dice to get out cleaning dishes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#18]
We do the cards for dishes thing, usually "31" is the game. Draw/discard/pass your card, you have 3 cards at any one time and they have to be suited to count. You "knock" the table when you think you can win. If you're the knocker and you end up with the lowest score then you get all the chores.

I've heard of some depts around that say if you're working OT, then the 1st hour is "for the men." whatever the overtimer makes during his first hour get spent on the group whether it's treats, fancy dinner, the UFC fight, etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

For us if you get caught looking at the news camera and your mug ends up in a paper because of it you bring in steaks to grill. I think the rule was intended to keep guys from being a ham for the cameras. As a result you mostly just see our backs in the paper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pizza Friday, thanks Captain

Also, probies get lots of random water attacks
View Quote

If you're doing it right the probies should already be wet from washing trucks all day. I haven't washed a rig since 2008.

Now I just end up writing reports while listening to all the grab ass fun going on out in the bay.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a big one with me.   I rarely ride in the back,  but when I do, I face forward. Damn kids don't like it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]
For us the aforementioned penalty of buying steaks if we catch you looking at a camera.

If you sleep through an alarm you'll spend the next night sleeping in the truck.

Chief always buys the pizza after a dinner time structure fire.

Neighboring dept has lime green trucks. Well send two men and an engine to crew their station while they're out on fires. While there "real fire trucks are red" tends to get written on everything.

Junior guy babysits the truck on grocery runs.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#23]
We have some which are pretty basic. No rookies allowed in the recliner until after your first year is completed. Least senior guy does the bathrooms.

Now we do have one guy we call "devil boy", because you never know what he is up to and always plays tricks on the probationary ff once a year when we get them at the station. He comes up with some amazing - hilarious gags. Years ago we were getting an evaluation by the state  for a radiological/nuclear incident and DB was the victim. He is very hairy, looks like he has a sweater on when his shirt is off. Anyway, we had to transport him to a local facility just as we would a real victim. When we finally got to the wash down area, we had to disrobe/expose him (minus the underwear), for any poss. chance of other contaminants. He had some old clothes on him so it was ok to cut them off. We cut them down to his underwear which revealed a gold sequined thong. The state guy had a good sense of humor , took one look at him and said "alright that's enough,somebody cover up the monkey". We laughed so hard I thought I was going to pass out. It is amazing at how much you love the guys you work with.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's a big one with me.   I rarely ride in the back,  but when I do, I gave forward. Damn kids don't like it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a big one with me.   I rarely ride in the back,  but when I do, I gave forward. Damn kids don't like it.

Truth be told I miss riding backwards sometimes. On the plus side I get to play with the Q and blast the air horns at assholes now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top