Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2016 3:48:14 AM EDT
I saw an opening on USAJOBS and have decided to apply for it. I'm scheduled to take the entrance exam. I just wanted to see if there were any existing agents on the board that can tell me if they've enjoyed the work. I've been interested in Federal Law Enforcement for a while. My preferred agency would be the Marshals. Was wondering if Border Patrol is a good place to get the foot in the door and if there is potential for a lateral transfer between Departments/Agencies
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not USBP.

Get your federal time started with ANY agency (sworn preferred, USBP, CBP, ICE), you will have an advantage over others with job experience.
Jumping agencies is common, you will have to go through the hiring process and go to another academy.
Ive known people that jumped from my agency to ICE, USMS, FBI.

USBP might be a fun job for a few years if your a young guy, and you will get lots of action more than any other Fed agency,especially on the southern border, less on the northern border.
I kind of wish I did it, but once you get settled down with wife and kids, living in a dumpy border town sucks, and everyone knows who and what you are, it might be time to jump ship.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
CBP is hiring too, might as well put in for that since they are having new hire incentives.

USMS is supposed to open an announcement soon, so you might want to get your email notifications set up if you haven't already.

I've taken the BP exam twice and haven't passed.  I'm pretty sure it's due to the language section.  My advice is study some spanish and forget that made up language test because it makes no sense.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]

There are a lot of different assignments within the Border Patrol, so if you don't like what you are doing, you can switch to something else. In other words, anyone should be able to find something that they like to do within the agency.

The previous comment about living in a dumpy border town is not to be overlooked.

There are some opportunities to transfer around DHS.

Border Patrol Agents are often used as political pawns. Keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Former USBP. Moved on to a 3 letter agency. Best time I had! I hear things have changed though.

Also living in a craptown in the southwest border is a big negative
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get hired right now, you WILL live in a crappy place, the stations that are dieing for agents are that way for a reason.  Also, they just cut BP's pay while simultaneously increasing work hours...they have probably the worst union ever (not that any unions are good, but at least most of them pretend to work for their members).
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you get hired right now, you WILL live in a crappy place, the stations that are dieing for agents are that way for a reason.  Also, they just cut BP's pay while simultaneously increasing work hours...they have probably the worst union ever (not that any unions are good, but at least most of them pretend to work for their members).
View Quote

I could not imagine working those traffic lanes in 100 degree heat plus the fumes.Then tearing apart trucks going thru 10 tons of shit in a trailer looking for stuff...now they cut the pay and increased hours...win/win..not.

Former Homeland Security guy here (civilian)..worked for DEA interdiction teams when the DEA used to be bad ass in the late 1980 early 90s.I ran the radios for the Blue Thunder boats and the air craft assets. I would have stayed but $33K can't cut it in S Fla.

Do miss it..I would get to ride in the boats for the Holidays boat show which is massive in Ft Lauderdale..100's of yachts in it. We would black out the lights and jam Smugglers Blues thru the PA..good times..the new HSI..boats are meh..white with blue stripe and outboards. We had Mercrusier..500 ci superchargers. .that were like NASCAR x 1000
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#7]
12 years with BP (95-07)  9 years now with ICE. If you are a young guy, go for it. Choose your station wisely, if you can. Station choice will mean the difference between being a border guard and/or having a blast catching dope, spiking vehicles, foot chases, riding 4 wheelers and horses, flying in helos, etc...

You will want to go to an area that is getting hammered if you really want to get some "experience".

You will live on the SW Border for a while....

I enjoyed the hell out of it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CBP is hiring too, might as well put in for that since they are having new hire incentives.

USMS is supposed to open an announcement soon, so you might want to get your email notifications set up if you haven't already.

I've taken the BP exam twice and haven't passed.  I'm pretty sure it's due to the language section.  My advice is study some spanish and forget that made up language test because it makes no sense.
View Quote

Verlec is Eagle...

Verlecnef is a female Eagle...

That language portion is pretty crazy.  I passed, but my score wasn't stellar.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Does being in the middle of nowhere in the dark and alone bother you, or do you love it?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does being in the middle of nowhere in the dark and alone bother you, or do you love it?  Serious question.
View Quote

Yep.  I love it.  Been at it for a little over 9 years.  

Its a fun job.   Personally the worst part for me is the ticks and chiggers.  They suck!  

There's nothing like when a group is walking up and your layed in on a trail with nvg's or thermals and they are inches from you and they have no clue you are there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its a fun job.   Personally the worst part for me is the ticks and chiggers.  They suck!  

There's nothing like when a group is walking up and your layed in on a trail with nvg's or thermals and they are inches from you and they have no clue you are there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not for everyone, for the OP's consideration.  If you like it, nothing else compares.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Go CBP, later go for ICE, enjoy, lot of fun for sure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do not listen to his advice about studying Spanish for the exam.   Take the artificial language portion if you are not a native Spanish speaker.   The practice exams will prepare you for it.   You will go to a shitty southern border town.   At the right station the work will be intense and a great learning experience.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
For you current BPA, which sectors do you guys prefer?  Pros/cons about them?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#15]

You would be better off focusing on the specific agency you want to get into versus joining CBP just to get into it. Lot's of guys say they are going CBP to lateral into Fed Marshall/FBI/DEA etc.....but then they realize you have to essentially go through the exact same hiring process (and wait) as a new hire. Some might say you bring extra baggage that makes you undesirable.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#16]
FWIW, CBP (1895) has some great opportunities for going overseas on Uncle Sam's dime.  Border Patrol not so much...  Not sure if that's something you're interested in, but CBPOs have a lot more chances to get a sweet gig abroad.

Also, if you want to get into some other high speed agency as an 1811 or whatever, be aware that announcements are few and far between.  The hiring process is also very lengthy.  And guys with veteran's preference are soaking up all the good agent jobs too.  CBP might not be glamorous but a journeyman GS-12 with double-time OT, night differential, etc. isn't all that bad.

If you really want to be an agent, work on a master's degree to set yourself ahead of your average beat cop...
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You would be better off focusing on the specific agency you want to get into versus joining CBP just to get into it. Lot's of guys say they are going CBP to lateral into Fed Marshall/FBI/DEA etc.....but then they realize you have to essentially go through the exact same hiring process (and wait) as a new hire. Some might say you bring extra baggage that makes you undesirable.

View Quote

Sorry, but I gotta call hogwash on some of this advice.
You get into any Fed agency - to stop the age clock, and to start your building your retirement, TSP, experience, and get a paycheck.
If you focus on a specific agency you could be waiting months or years before it opens again, and there you are waiting and watching good jobs pass you by.

When you want to lateral over someplace else, yes you have to go through the whole hiring process again. But no big deal, you know what to expect and you aren't sweating it, because you wont age out and your getting a paycheck!
If the lateral never happens, guess what ? You are still a Federal Agent/Officer. Not working some crappy job, waiting for an opening.

Ive known a lot of guys who have lateralled over to FBI, USMS, ICE. It can and does happen. CBP to ICE is a better fit because you already have a good understanding, and experience with immigration.
Bringing extra baggage? When did any useful knowledge, training and experience become "baggage" ? I think you are better candidate because you in the "system", and they already know that you can get through FLETC.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP... you better be a native Spanish speaker before considering the Spanish test. The fantasy language test isn't impossible, but the Spanish one is easier to fail IMO. Don't forget Customs, ICE, etc. Customs is hiring pretty much always right now and has more locations to choose from, but it probably isn't going to be your idea of fun. BP is going to be more fun but will have worse locations more than likely, ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OP... you better be a native Spanish speaker before considering the Spanish test. The fantasy language test isn't impossible, but the Spanish one is easier to fail IMO. Don't forget Customs, ICE, etc. Customs is hiring pretty much always right now and has more locations to choose from, but it probably isn't going to be your idea of fun. BP is going to be more fun but will have worse locations more than likely, ymmv.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And don't forget the Spanish test once you're out in the field...  I know a handful of former agents that didn't pass it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And don't forget the Spanish test once you're out in the field...  I know a handful of former agents that didn't pass it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you post on Delphi forums too right?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Unfortunately...
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You get into any Fed agency - to stop the age clock, and to start your building your retirement, TSP, experience, and get a paycheck.
If you focus on a specific agency you could be waiting months or years before it opens again, and there you are waiting and watching good jobs pass you by.

When you want to lateral over someplace else, yes you have to go through the whole hiring process again. But no big deal, you know what to expect and you aren't sweating it, because you wont age out and your getting a paycheck!
If the lateral never happens, guess what ? You are still a Federal Agent/Officer. Not working some crappy job, waiting for an opening.

Ive known a lot of guys who have lateralled over to FBI, USMS, ICE. It can and does happen. CBP to ICE is a better fit because you already have a good understanding, and experience with immigration.
Bringing extra baggage? When did any useful knowledge, training and experience become "baggage" ? I think you are better candidate because you in the "system", and they already know that you can get through FLETC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Customs or Border Patrol may not get  your foot into the door at the agency you want to end up in, but it will stop the clock and get your TSP rolling, which is more important IMO.

OP, I'd go with one of the two, they're both open right now. I'd probably apply for both since steps like your drug test, medical test, and background will transfer between the two anyways and you'll get a higher chance of a job offer. I applied for BP first because that's what I wanted, but I applied for customs too and ended up getting an offer for customs after BP froze their hiring process right after I passed everything. From there I would look into any 1811 gig you can get, keep in mind the basic 1811 academy will transfer to pretty much any other 1811 position. So, wait for something like HUD or forest service 1811 to open up after getting into CBP, apply for that, go through their academy, then when something you want to do opens up you can lateral over and just do another round of FTO or a short agency specific academy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I applied for CBP back in 2012.

The written exam isnt hard.  The language portion isnt to tough if you go with the made up language.  I've heard most fluent spanish speakers cant pass that test.

The one thing that sucks is once you hit the background phase.....be ready for a looooooooooooong wait.  I spent 18 months in background and then they came out and said anyone selected from the group I was in would be put in Ajo, AZ.  After waiting that long and they still hadnt finished my background and then dropped the Ajo bomb, I withdrew.

One funny thing though was when they sent the agent to my apartment (half the place was illegals) and he started knocking on doors.  After that I was invited to about 10 different BBQ's and a quincinera.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Good luck, OP! I applied for a BP position back in August.  I made it to the polygraph and was stopped there, like so many others (apparently).  I'm going to make a post about that, actually....

I didn't think the two written tests were all that difficult but I'd definitely suggest you at least go over the fake language guide they have on their site.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Good luck, OP! I applied for a BP position back in August.  I made it to the polygraph and was stopped there, like so many others (apparently).  I'm going to make a post about that, actually....

I didn't think the two written tests were all that difficult but I'd definitely suggest you at least go over the fake language guide they have on their site.
View Quote
The poly in CBP hiring is so bad it's caused congress to ask questions.

What was your experience?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've heard of horror stories regarding this. Had a guy I know fail the BP but passed ATF's with the same responses. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of the "ehh we don't really like this guy or think he'll fit....sorry you showed deception".
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've heard of horror stories regarding this. Had a guy I know fail the BP but passed ATF's with the same responses. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of the "ehh we don't really like this guy or think he'll fit....sorry you showed deception".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was an inquiry if I'm remembering recently as this step only passes 4 or 5 out of every 100 people... The results were that the examiners were usually less experienced than most others and instead of saying pass, or inconclusive, they'd play it too safe and say it was a fail.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I applied for CBP back in 2012.

The written exam isnt hard.  The language portion isnt to tough if you go with the made up language.  I've heard most fluent spanish speakers cant pass that test.

The one thing that sucks is once you hit the background phase.....be ready for a looooooooooooong wait.  I spent 18 months in background and then they came out and said anyone selected from the group I was in would be put in Ajo, AZ.  After waiting that long and they still hadnt finished my background and then dropped the Ajo bomb, I withdrew.

One funny thing though was when they sent the agent to my apartment (half the place was illegals) and he started knocking on doors.  After that I was invited to about 10 different BBQ's and a quincinera.
View Quote

It is truly luck of the draw as far as who you get to do your investigation. Some of the guys I work with had their's processing for over a year. Mine took about 5 months, I applied in 2011 for OFO but my background had started from a 2010 application to BP. My wife applied for agriculture last year, she cleared her background in maybe 3 months even though her investigation went a lot rougher than mine for some reason ("I like to shoot", "hur durr lets interview everybody and ask if you know how to manufacture a machine gun hur dur")
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should reach out and grab one by the leg while yelling "Chupracabra!" Don't film it thou....
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The poly in CBP hiring is so bad it's caused congress to ask questions.

What was your experience?
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

I had never taken a polygraph before and didn't know jack about them beyond what you see in movies.  I was briefly browsing the Honor First forums and everyone said not to research the poly because they will ask you about it, so I didn't.  I went into it with the attitude that I was going to be completely honest as I have nothing to hide.

I answered all the questions completely honestly; I've never even had a speeding ticket in my life (I'm early 30's) and I've never once tried any drug.  Not even a puff.

Long story short, the examiner said the exam showed "inconclusive" and that I showed signs of deceit regarding past serious violent crimes and drug useage.  I reiterated again that I've never done anything of the sort.  He sent me home and said he'd send it up the chain to see if I'd get a second chance.

So about 2 weeks later, I was scheduled to take another poly with the same guy.

I answered the same questions with the same responses but this time he said I straight failed.  I said I don't know how that can be; I'm being completely honest. He kept grilling me to try and illicit a confession of some sort.  He told me stories of all these other people he tested that had failed but then later confessed something they had been holding back on and then they passed.  I told him I wish I had something to tell; I wish I had a "well I had one puff at a party in college" story but I don't.  I said I have told him everything and have been completely honest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#31]
After a few hours of this he finally gave up and said well the only other explanation for your failure would be that you're trying to use countermeasures to deceive the machine. At this point it kind of hit me that the whole thing was a sham. In my head I was thinking no, the real explanation is that this "exam" is bullshit. I was pretty angry/irritated at this point because I had been completely honest about everything yet I was being told over and over that I'm lying/hiding something. I told him no, I have not been trying to use countermeasures, at least purposefully; I don't even know what countermeasures there are because I never researched the polygraph.

He told me that I needed to give him some explanation as to why I failed so that he could put it in his report. Otherwise he would send it up the chain with nothing and they would more than likely drop me because all they would see is that I failed. I told him I don't know what you want me to say. I'll say I smoked weed in college if that's what you want to hear but it'd be a lie. He told me no, don't lie. I said well I have nothing to give you, I've been 100% truthful from the start so if you have to send in your report blank, then that's fine. If the Border Patrol wants to drop me here then I'll leave with my head up because I know I've been absolutely honest.

About 2 weeks later I received an email saying that my conditional letter of employment was being withdrawn because of unfavorable polygraph results. So nearly 6 months went down the drain just like that.

So....I'm not going to tell the OP what to do but I know that if I could do it all over again I would research the hell out of the polygraph beforehand, know and understand that it's a sham designed to scare people into admitting things, and I'd go into the room with an understanding of the "game", though I obviously wouldn't let the examiner know. Apparently honesty and integrity don't get you very far with BP polygraphs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#32]
6 months isn't bad. I was dropped after a failed poly with CBP after being in the process for 3 years.  Same experience as you and many others.  There are many stories on forums of people saying the same thing.  It's gotten so bad that there have been recent congressional hearings asking them why their poly fail rate is so high and why veterans that already have secret and top secret security clearances aren't passing their poly but have past them for the military or other agencies etc.  

I'm 1 and 1 when it comes to polygraph tests.  I think they are an art more than they are a science.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah after my experience I went online and read up all about it.  As you said, there's tons of stories just like mine.  Pretty stupid.  Three years is absolutely ridiculous.  What was the hold up?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
After a few hours of this he finally gave up and said well the only other explanation for your failure would be that you're trying to use countermeasures to deceive the machine. At this point it kind of hit me that the whole thing was a sham. In my head I was thinking no, the real explanation is that this "exam" is bullshit. I was pretty angry/irritated at this point because I had been completely honest about everything yet I was being told over and over that I'm lying/hiding something. I told him no, I have not been trying to use countermeasures, at least purposefully; I don't even know what countermeasures there are because I never researched the polygraph.

He told me that I needed to give him some explanation as to why I failed so that he could put it in his report. Otherwise he would send it up the chain with nothing and they would more than likely drop me because all they would see is that I failed. I told him I don't know what you want me to say. I'll say I smoked weed in college if that's what you want to hear but it'd be a lie. He told me no, don't lie. I said well I have nothing to give you, I've been 100% truthful from the start so if you have to send in your report blank, then that's fine. If the Border Patrol wants to drop me here then I'll leave with my head up because I know I've been absolutely honest.

About 2 weeks later I received an email saying that my conditional letter of employment was being withdrawn because of unfavorable polygraph results. So nearly 6 months went down the drain just like that.

So....I'm not going to tell the OP what to do but I know that if I could do it all over again I would research the hell out of the polygraph beforehand, know and understand that it's a sham designed to scare people into admitting things, and I'd go into the room with an understanding of the "game", though I obviously wouldn't let the examiner know. Apparently honesty and integrity don't get you very far with BP polygraphs.
View Quote

A coworker was speaking to an examiner, the guy said that in a given timeframe only 7 out of 144 people passed the thing. It's garbage. Due to some flak they've been taking lately I don't see how they aren't going to be forced to implement changes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#35]
They probably will make some changes, but after all it is the federal government and nothing moves fast. I've been told only 23% pass the polygraph. When I got in the poly was only random, lucky for me I got selected for the test.  It seemed like one of the longest days ever.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yeah after my experience I went online and read up all about it.  As you said, there's tons of stories just like mine.  Pretty stupid.  Three years is absolutely ridiculous.  What was the hold up?
View Quote
It was just a longer process at the time and wasn't being as expedited as it is now.  I also scored a night 80's on the exam so I think anyone with a score above me was pushed ahead even if they tested after I did or were on a different hiring announcement.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Think of the poly as the bad cop in a good cop bad cop routine. It's all for show.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#38]
If you really want to go Marshalls or HSI going into the military as criminal investigator (not familiar with the process on how to get this) or get your masters and try to get an internship with your desired agency while in school. The days of going in the Patrol to get a foot in the door and transfer to another agency are mostly past. Tons of Agents applying to other agencies right now and very, very few are successful other than the ones going to Customs, CSI, etc. The last time the Marshalls hired (unless they have had an announcement I missed) they only considered people with vet pref. HSI is getting slammed with applicants from the Secret Service who are already 1811 qualified. Right now the basic PA resume doesn't score high enough to be considered for even the worst HSI locations.

If you really want to go into the Patrol, do it but be aware:
You will most likely draw a crappy border town and you will have next to no say in the matter.
Depending on the your station, it may be many years before you will be competitive for specialty units (ATV, Horses, etc)
It may be a long time before you get the opportunity to transfer to a nice location. Some places take 15-20 years or more. If you want to live in a nice place, Customs is the way to go.  
Morale is in the gutter right now for a laundry list of reasons. Maybe it will get better, maybe not.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Morale is in the gutter right now for a laundry list of reasons. Maybe it will get better, maybe not.
View Quote

I see no real possibility it will get better before November.  After that, well the voters will decide I think.  If Hillary gets the WH, I'm pretty sure a lot of Agents will bow out, or at least stop even pretending to try.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If you really want to go Marshalls or HSI going into the military as criminal investigator (not familiar with the process on how to get this) or get your masters and try to get an internship with your desired agency while in school. The days of going in the Patrol to get a foot in the door and transfer to another agency are mostly past. Tons of Agents applying to other agencies right now and very, very few are successful other than the ones going to Customs, CSI, etc. The last time the Marshalls hired (unless they have had an announcement I missed) they only considered people with vet pref. HSI is getting slammed with applicants from the Secret Service who are already 1811 qualified. Right now the basic PA resume doesn't score high enough to be considered for even the worst HSI locations.

If you really want to go into the Patrol, do it but be aware:

You will most likely draw a crappy border town and you will have next to no say in the matter.

Depending on the your station, it may be many years before you will be competitive for specialty units (ATV, Horses, etc)

It may be a long time before you get the opportunity to transfer to a nice location. Some places take 15-20 years or more. If you want to live in a nice place, Customs is the way to go.  

View Quote
USMS has had two announcements this year since March.  Two more are expect this year one to include an all US citizens opening.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Think of the poly as the bad cop in a good cop bad cop routine. It's all for show.
View Quote

This.

Although a friend of a friend was lucky enough to score a baseline across all questions. He got called back in and there were black suits waiting. Asked him who trained him and did a full terror interview. I guess there is such a thing as passing too well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:USMS has had two announcements this year since March.  Two more are expect this year one to include an all US citizens opening.  
View Quote

There was an announcement that opened/closed yesterday.

The requirements are pretty specific:

Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 level that demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform successfully the duties of the position to be filled. Specialized experience may include responsible law enforcement experience that required the exercise of tact, courtesy, and the ability to deal effectively with associates, subordinates, the public, and prisoners. Specialized experience may have been gained in work such as criminal investigation or other law enforcement work that included planning and carrying out investigations, planning and making arrests, serving court orders, using firearms, and dealing with people in a persuasive, tactful, and resourceful manner. This experience should have provided knowledge of the law and court precedents as they relate to such matters as search and seizure, making arrests, and using firearms. (THIS EXPERIENCE MUST BE DEMONSTRATED IN YOUR RESUME)

Not sure who they're actually looking for?  County jail deputies?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top