Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2016 8:52:38 PM EDT
The GS-4 selective factor says you need 90 days of wildland experience. I have well over 90 days in that capacity but not 90 actual days on a fire since its initial attack. Hoping someone might have some clarification about this here. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]

I don't have much time for a lengthy reply, I apologize in advance.  I work fed LE, still do initial attack and have been in the wildland game for a while.  

You clearly have 90 days of wildland experience.  It asks for wildland experience not initial attack, don't over think it.  Also, when rating yourself for positions open to anyone, rate yourself as compared to the average person.  Besides, you need to get your foot in the door, if you mark no for the selective questions, no one besides a machine will ever see your application.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, I should have added what it says for GS-4 positions. The 'on the fire line' part is what gets me.
Selective Factor for GS-04: In addition to the basic qualifications listed above, you must have the following: 90 days of wildland fire experience. Wildland fire experience is defined as any non-structure fire that occurs in the wildland. Wildland firefighting experience is gained through work on the fire line in containment, control, suppression or use of wildland fire. This experience can be met by serving in a temporary, seasonal or equivalent private sector fire position. Periods of wildland firefighting experience gained through militia and rural fire departments can also be credited.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top