Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 11:56:16 PM EDT
Im looking for a little clarification here. The 1033 procurement site says that modifications are allowed as long as the original parts are maintained and they are turned back in if and when the rifle is turned back in.  So if I want to put a 11.5 upper on a 1033 m16 is there any ATF paperwork required or is it already covered since its class 3 already? my department has no policy on it at this time. thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
No SBR paperwork required for any length upper on a machinegun receiver.  Legally a machinegun is a machinegun and not a rifle under Title II, so it can't be a short-barreled rifle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I learned something today.............thanks  .........  I'm positive   the members of this sight  could solve any problem

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No SBR paperwork required for any length upper on a machinegun receiver.  Legally a machinegun is a machinegun and not a rifle under Title II, so it can't be a short-barreled rifle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep... mod away, just keep the parts so the rifle can be put back to original configuration.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#4]

When you do this - I wasn't sure if it was just a single rifle, or a bunch of them - do yourself and your Dept a favor and really lock away the old parts.  Don't let anyone give in to the temptation to add them to their personal "retro" rifle build or sell the parts on eBay.  Ask me how I know

Local newspaper headline, "Police officer nabbed selling machine gun parts on the Internet".  

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When you do this - I wasn't sure if it was just a single rifle, or a bunch of them - do yourself and your Dept a favor and really lock away the old parts.  Don't let anyone give in to the temptation to add them to their personal "retro" rifle build or sell the parts on eBay.  Ask me how I know

Local newspaper headline, "Police officer nabbed selling machine gun parts on the Internet".  

View Quote

That's not as bad ad having one go missing.. Happened about 7-8 years who and we have no clue exactly when it got stolen.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#6]
We converted most of ours to 14.5" or shorter, and all except SWAT's are now semi-auto via an AR safety swap. They're still legally machineguns (as Circuits stated) whether they can fire fully automatically or not, so any barrel length is allowed.

If you want to make SBRs out of normal semi-auto AR lowers (not 1033 M16's) then just register them tax-exempt on a Form 1.

Also as stated, with regards to the original M16 parts {in Act of Valor voice} "Put that gear in a box. Lock it DOWN."
Nobody wants to be filling out one of these: https://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/Forms/PDF/PDF-DD-200.pdf

We obtained used M4A1 SOCOM barrels through the RTD program (subset of LESO/1033). They were $20 each. They can be chopped shorter. No modification restrictions on RTD gear.

It's really hard to find all the carbine conversion parts on there though. I've been looking over a year, and only scored 3 stripped buffer tubes. KAC RAS or DD RIS II are quite rare as well. Plenty of NOS M4 plastic hand guards (which is what Patrol has unless they buy their own rails). We did get enough Surefire M951 lights for everybody. I think they were $7 each. Some were DOA.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's not as bad ad having one go missing.. Happened about 7-8 years who and we have no clue exactly when it got stolen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha yup.  

There was a pic I saw years ago of some hood rat w an A1.  I remember someone enlarging the pic so you could see the sear pin hole Can't link pics right now but found it by googling "hunters point gangs guns".

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what we did. We bought new LPK's and pulled the originals out and sealed them in plastic evidence bags (what we had on hand and tamper resistant) and tagged each bag with the serial number of the rifle it came from. Those are locked in armory in HQ.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#10]
We did similar however all we did was swap out the selector lever from auto to semi. The semi lever does not allow it to turn to "fun" mode..I also marked the inside of the lever with bright pink paint to know that it is the proper lever. We do not allow Ofc to take them home and must be stored at the dept. For the upper mods we allowed ofc to purchase their own uppers and do a swap or use the org upper which we outfitted with Magpul handguard and a aimpoint with a gooseneck mount.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#11]
They are not "class 3" or "NFA". They are DoD property and are exempt from the civilian NFA registry and requirements.

Quoted:
That's what we did. We bought new LPK's and pulled the originals out and sealed them in plastic evidence bags (what we had on hand and tamper resistant) and tagged each bag with the serial number of the rifle it came from. Those are locked in armory in HQ.
View Quote

All you need to do is remove the auto sears and replace the selectors with semi safeties, as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually, all you need to do is remove the auto sears and replace the selectors with semi safeties. We left our auto sears in. They never engage with a semi-auto safety in place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Surprising to see so many Fudd departments... Our 1033 M16's are still select fire with 14.5"/16" barrels and collapsible stocks, but then again they are only issued to certain officers. The rest are issued Bushmaster semi-auto 16" AR's

Detectives are issued either a MP5 or Colt R0991 9mm SMG

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We converted most of ours to 14.5" or shorter, and all except SWAT's are now semi-auto via an AR safety swap. They're still legally machineguns (as Circuits stated) whether they can fire fully automatically or not, so any barrel length is allowed.

If you want to make SBRs out of normal semi-auto AR lowers (not 1033 M16's) then just register them tax-exempt on a Form 1.

Also as stated, with regards to the original M16 parts {in Act of Valor voice} "Put that gear in a box. Lock it DOWN."
Nobody wants to be filling out one of these: https://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/Forms/PDF/PDF-DD-200.pdf

We obtained used M4A1 SOCOM barrels through the RTD program (subset of LESO/1033). They were $20 each. They can be chopped shorter. No modification restrictions on RTD gear.

It's really hard to find all the carbine conversion parts on there though. I've been looking over a year, and only scored 3 stripped buffer tubes. KAC RAS or DD RIS II are quite rare as well. Plenty of NOS M4 plastic hand guards (which is what Patrol has unless they buy their own rails). We did get enough Surefire M951 lights for everybody. I think they were $7 each. Some were DOA.

View Quote

Hmm. Your user name is quite fitting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes. Yes it is.

lol Thanks. I was 15 when I registered it, and was buying all the parts kits I could afford at the time. I'm really glad I did; I have some nice firearms built from them. I graduated from CST and also worked 7 years as a professional gunsmith prior to entering LE, so it comes in handy now.

We just passed our 1033 LESO inspection today with no discrepancies. I was a clipboard-toting nervous wreck until CID and DTF finally arrived late with the last of the gear.

At least I had an excuse to drive an MRAP across town today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top