Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2016 2:41:45 PM EDT
Who here is allowed to carry a privately owned suppressor on your duty rifle? Do you do so? If so what is your department policy on it and may I have a copy of the subsection of the policy that covers this?  Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No policy on suppressors( I havent seen one), we are allowed to carry them. I have an old YHM with QD that stays on my SBR duty rifle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No policy on suppressors( I havent seen one), we are allowed to carry them. I have an old YHM with QD that stays on my SBR duty rifle.
View Quote

This is where I'm at.  Waiting on the can now.  Chief says it's fine but our policy doesn't mention it anywhere
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Same. No policy for suppressor or SBR but they are okay. Policy only says patrol rifles must be AR-15 platform
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes we can use them.  I will try to remember tomorrow at the office and I'll get the policy to you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes we can use them.  I will try to remember tomorrow at the office and I'll get the policy to you.
View Quote

That would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you can get it to me I would appreciate it. There are a few of us that are trying to get them authorized for duty use at my agency.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you can get it to me I would appreciate it. There are a few of us that are trying to get them authorized for duty use at my agency.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you and the OP can send me an IM with your email address, I'll shoot you the policy.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Great thread op. Would love to have my dept open up policy on suppressors or lighting options for defensive situations.  

I actually came to this Leo only sectioned to see if there was any threads on Leo's using their credentials to quicken the process for personal NFA items.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Not allowed at my primary agency. They don't allow anything personally owned other than back up handguns

No policy against it at my part time place, which allows SBRs as well
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Great thread op. Would love to have my dept open up policy on suppressors or lighting options for defensive situations.  
View Quote

I actually came to this Leo only sectioned to see if there was any threads on Leo's using their credentials to quicken the process for personal NFA items.
Being LEO doesn't do anything to speed up the process.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be nicer though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would be nicer? To have your personal NFA paperwork expedited just because you are a cop? I understand where you are coming from but you have to remember this is a public forum that anyone in the world can read and when you start wishing and wanting for laws to benefit you and not everyone else since you happen to be cop, that's gives the "I'm above you, now pick up that can citizen" us vs them negative image
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What would be nicer? To have your personal NFA paperwork expedited just because you are a cop? I understand where you are coming from but you have to remember this is a public forum that anyone in the world can read and when you start wishing and wanting for laws to benefit you and not everyone else since you happen to be cop, that's gives the "I'm above you, now pick up that can citizen" us vs them negative image
View Quote

So because he might hurt someone's "feels" as they say around here, he shouldn't ask the question?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what I was suggesting.  Due to the line of work we are in, the amount of background checks to become a Law enforcement officer, and having the publics trust, I could see the process being more expedient.  Knowing that some departments allow officers to use personal firearms such as sbrs or suppressors on the job, it may be a benefit to the public to have a more expedient proces.

But since you went on a rant the way you did, how do you feel about H.R. 218/Leosa?

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your question makes it appear that you were wanting some insight as to speed up the NFA process for your personal items while using your status as an LEO justify it. If thats not the case, I do apologize. People using their employment status for personal gain is a huge issue with me. As to HR 218, its a start but it should cover all law abiding citizens who have permits or licenses in their own states.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#16]
You can have whatever NFA items you own...

In your own car, and on your own time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's not what I was suggesting.  Due to the line of work we are in, the amount of background checks to become a Law enforcement officer, and having the publics trust, I could see the process being more expedient.  Knowing that some departments allow officers to use personal firearms such as sbrs or suppressors on the job, it may be a benefit to the public to have a more expedient proces.

But since you went on a rant the way you did, how do you feel about H.R. 218/Leosa?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is all irrelevant to this threads topic
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember, if you or your partner pop someone, you could lost your can for a good bunch of years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Remember, if you or your partner pop someone, you could lost your can for a good bunch of years.
View Quote

The same could be said of personally owned SBRs or personal rifles/ back up guns in general.
We all know that and make the choice to carry our own stuff anyways
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#20]

No policy on suppressors, we are allowed to carry them.
View Quote
I qualified with mine attached, and had the can's serial # noted on the qual log.

I have other cans, so if it helps during a critical incident I can stand to do without it a few years.

Chief won't let me carry my M203, even QD'd in the trunk. So much for long-range less-lethal

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top