Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2016 4:51:11 PM EDT
I have a PTC, carry every day.

Should I find myself in a situation where I have to use my pistol defensively (perhaps just presenting, not even shots fired) and I was unable to re-holster before LE arrives, I know I will have a few barrels pointed at me and commands being shouted.

I am somewhat hard of hearing, and when people shout, especially when there is background noise or multiple voices, it is all a jumble. I can hear just fine, but multiple noises just come though as garbled chatter.

What commands should I expect, what is actually expected of me, and what is the best way to handle the situation? I know there is the "drop the gun" command, am I actually supposed to literally drop it from my hand, set it down slowly while saying what I am doing? I know that the LEOs will have auditory exclusion as well.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Changed the subject to make more sense where the question evolved to.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same kind of question. I hear on the radio over and over again , advertisements from the USCCA about the 6 things you need to know if this happens. I've downloaded the PDF and it says you will be handcuffed and more than likely taken to jail, etc..

Is that true?  LEO's what should we really expect?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the same kind of question. I hear on the radio over and over again , advertisements from the USCCA about the 6 things you need to know if this happens. I've downloaded the PDF and it says you will be handcuffed and more than likely taken to jail, etc..

View Quote

No... this is not correct. You may be handcuffed at the scene temporarily during the initial investigation while command and control is established (safety) and initial facts are gathered, or maybe not, each incident is different and chalked full of various facts and circumstances unique to the individual call itself. You will not be taken to jail unless arrested and charged with a crime.

Your initial treatment (right, wrong, good, bad) will depend greatly on the initial arriving officer's skill, education of the law, and experiences... some get it right, others don't.

What you can expect, especially if a person has actually been shot or killed, is a very long and thorough investigation.

If possible, be the one who is on 911 communicating directly with the 911 operator, who in turn, will advise responding officers of your description and location at the scene. If you cannot call 911, try to have that information passed on to 911 by someone who can communicate with the operator.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

USCCA is about selling you a product.

A major factor is where you are. In Kommieland?? Sorry, but they are anti-gun and have a different view.

Also, consider how and when the call was created. You saying I capped some home intruders is different than my neighbor is shooting people in his house.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I Have to echo what bowhntr says, there are far too many variables in a situation, not the least of which is what the individual officer(s) experiences and training are and how they play a huge role in what you can expect.  You can generally expect to have weapons pointed at you. Hopefully, if there is more than one officer there, only one of them is dealing with you and giving you commands (multiple officers yelling multiple and often conflicting commands to a singe person in a scenario is a problem we see in training from time to time,  especially when adrenaline is going). Follow those commands, move slowly yet deliberately, and tell the officers what you are doing.  If the weapon is still in hand, and you are told to drop it, I would get it to the ground as safely as possible. DO NOT MOVE YOURSELF OR THE WEAPON QUICKLY OR IN THE DIRECTION OF THE OFFICER!

In short, prepare yourself for a very long day. If you don't already have the number for a good lawyer, get one and keep it with you. Make a brief statement but be prepared to invoke your Miranda rights to Counsel and stick with that decision.  I teach CCW classes for my Agency (Sheriff's Office), and every class I teach, the students are shocked when I tell them, as I stand before them in my S.O. Uniform, that if they are ever forced to defend themselves, to only give the officers a brief statement justifying the self defense shooting, Beyond that, they should request to speak with their attormey before any more in-depth questioning begins. Some cops will take offense to this, some won't. Regardless, stick to your guns (no pun intended) and stand by your request to speak to your attorney.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#5]
The youtube may be relevant Never talk to the police
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congratulations for GUARANTEEING a handcuffing, trip to jail and an interrogation  room, along with the complete inability to present factors in your defense to responding officers.

Put the damn gun down (not in a holster, out of your control)  and surrender to police.  Make a SHORT statement, which is the TRUTH.  Tell them if there are any other victims/actors/witnesses,  identify yourself and ask for your lawyer.

Hundreds of self defense shootings have done that before yours,  How hard is it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Place the gun on the ground, expect to be screamed at with guns pointed at you, keep your hands clearly visible and stand in a place that is as close to in the open that is possible (don't stand hidden behind a car).

I'd give a short statement saying you were in fear of your life because of what the guy did. Respectfully tell them you don't want to give a more in depth statement until you can speak to consul.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A major factor is where you are. In Kommieland?? Sorry, but they are anti-gun and have a different view.

Also, consider how and when the call was created. You saying I capped some home intruders is different than my neighbor is shooting people in his house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying that the USCCA product is not worthwhile?

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Place the gun on the ground, <snip>
View Quote
As in literally drop it, or slowly set it on the ground, pointing the muzzle far away from LEOs?

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Congratulations for GUARANTEEING a handcuffing, trip to jail and an interrogation  room, along with the complete inability to present factors in your defense to responding officers.

Put the damn gun down (not in a holster, out of your control)  and surrender to police.  Make a SHORT statement, which is the TRUTH.  Tell them if there are any other victims/actors/witnesses,  identify yourself and ask for your lawyer.

Hundreds of self defense shootings have done that before yours,  How hard is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, you are gonna know when the cops are coming. Put the gun down, before they exit their vehicle... Prone out if they tell you to. You may be handcuffed. Identify yourself. Identify or point out any suspect/victim you are aware of.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Its pretty rare LEO's roll up in the middle of a gun battle. Which means there is few reasons why you should have a gun still in your hand. If able you should distance yourself from the scene, call 911, give a brief run down of what happened and tell them where you are. Secure weapon in a car if possible. Or whatever.
How you are treated depends on three things. 1. Officers experience/training. 2. Your actions. 3. How 'hot' the scene is. IE if its an active shooter and its chaos expect to be cuffed and stuffed in a car till its settled down. If its an active shooting and people flag down an officer and tell him you just shot someone and he rolls up before you can call 911 you'll have a gun pointed at you.  Try your best to follow the commands.  Setting the pistol down barrel pointed away from LEO's, moving slowly/smoothly (but not at a snails pace), interlocking fingers on top of head, and moving away from gun is best bet and what I would want.  Whatever you do don't move fast/jerky, put your hands in your pockets or at your waste-band or do anything that can be mistaken for you going for a gun.

Contrary to popular belief 99% of LEO's aren't trigger happy.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Place the gun on the ground, <snip>
View Quote
As in literally drop it, or slowly set it on the ground, pointing the muzzle far away from LEOs?  
View Quote

Don't drop it. Lets say you drop it, the gun discharges, a bullet strikes and kills some random onlooker... May not be criminal responsible but your civilly responsible.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

This lol. That youtube video is interesting and maybe applicable if you are a rape or murder suspect and just did the crime.  But I've seen a lot of people get booked into jail because they tried to pull that BS when if they'd have just articulated their actions they could have just went home. Never seen a suspect get cut loose because they wouldn't talk though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Best advice is to have the gun holstered before they get out of the car or place it on the ground and get your hands straight up.

If its still in your hands, dont just drop or throw the gun... Grasp it by the barrel if you can do so before they are up on you with guns drawn.

When told to do so, just slowly lower your arm with your elbow fully extended in a manner that the gun is pointed away from the officers and place it on the ground, then rise back up and take a step back from the gun with your hands straight up and your fingers extended.

Keep your arms lock straight, your fingers extended and spread open in the most exagerated way you can.

This is not a time to be nonchalant or lazy about raising your hands, get them up and keep them up until told to do otherwise.

If you dont understand a command, don't guess at it, or if multiple officers are giving contradicting commands, ask them loud and clear what they want you to do first.

I have taken many people into custody at gun point and the slower they moved and clearer they communicated with me, the easier the whole situation was resolved. If you get excited and do dumb shit, then the cop will get excited and do dumb shit...

When you have a gun pointed at you it is not the time to be a lawyer and explain your rights. You can refuse to say anything, but it will mean a significantly longer time in custody to sort out what happened. I have been in cuffs while my ID was checked and it was verified who I was. If I had stayed silent, it would have been 10 times longer. I don't enjoy the feeling of handcuffs, so the sooner it gets sorted out, the sooner they come off.

Then again, if you just shot someone in a situation that may have questionable circumstances, your best bet will be to wait for an attorney...
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#14]
One common misconception is that Law Enforcement is a group of robots who all do things the same way. There are officers with 1 week of experience, 2 years of experience, and 25 years of experience. I can only speak for what I would do in your shoes. As you see the red and/or blue lights approaching, go ahead and set the gun on the ground way before the officers ever get out of their patrol cars. I would then face away from them on my knees with my fingers inter-locked behind my head and await commands. If you start to hear commands all jumbled and can't understand what they are saying, don't worry about it. Officers deal on occasion with individuals who don't even speak English or (on the rarity) with deaf individuals. As long as you are no longer a threat to the officer, you won't have to worry. Once cuffed or told to stand and talk to them, give them a brief statement of the 100% truth. Be very polite and respectful of the guy who just put down hIs dinner, came from a funeral, left a death investigation, or whatever. The officer is just as human as you. Understand that he has to take control of the situation for his safety and yours.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, remember that in your journey for the perfect society EVERYTHING you say and probably do will be recorded. At least by the car cam and probably by the body cam. So you can forget about us helping you thru a shoot, or anything else, like we used to do with decent taxpaying citizens. Now theres nothing we can do to help you ever since the Public decided were all bad, or , simply wanted a new reality show. So your on your own.

Just remember, your being recorded.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol, remember that in your journey for the perfect society EVERYTHING you say and probably do will be recorded. At least by the car cam and probably by the body cam. So you can forget about us helping you thru a shoot, or anything else, like we used to do with decent taxpaying citizens. Now theres nothing we can do to help you ever since the Public decided were all bad, or , simply wanted a new reality show. So your on your own.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's your advise?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top