Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2015 9:18:48 AM EDT

Can anyone advise if their agency, or if they know of an agency who are issued tourniquets and how things have gone so far?  I believe the Raleigh News and Observer did an article about Durham, NC PD issuing 303 tourniquets and at least 2 officers have already used them in the field.  Any info, for or against tourniquets or trauma dressings being issued would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was chief I bought tourniquets, balistic helmets, quick clot for all my guys
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Every officer (112 sworn) at my agency is issued 2. I've used two so far and there have been about a half dozen others used over the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably about a 3rd of our 40 Patrol guys, have purchased our own tourniquets and belt holders.

Well. I happened to have a bunch of new CATs courtesy of Uncle Sam that I gave out too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#4]
the local SO and Staties we work with all have them(i work with an EMS agency)...and we all have the same CAT tourniquet all courtesy of uncle sam
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#5]
We were issued them last year or so, and this year they were approved for belt carry.  A few people have used them.(1200 person department)
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]
We're starting to issue them in a bail out bag. Along wih extra AR mags, quick clot etc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#7]
every officer is given one at my pd, 180 sworn.  we have had a few that have been deployed on some victims, no officers though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can anyone advise if their agency, or if they know of an agency who are issued tourniquets and how things have gone so far?  I believe the Raleigh News and Observer did an article about Durham, NC PD issuing 303 tourniquets and at least 2 officers have already used them in the field.  Any info, for or against tourniquets or trauma dressings being issued would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,
View Quote

I can confirm that this is happening. Everyone is trained up but those were personally purchased TQs used to save two GSW victims.  The city had not yet issued them out but it is coming.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
4600 sworn and everyone has at least one in their blow out kit that is issued.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
We are all issued them. 600+ sworn. I've used three at work on shooting victims. We have had very good success with them
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Blowout kits !
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty much every agency here, there is a standardized training program going around.

There have been saves but I'm not sure how many.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#13]
We are.
Large metropolitan PD in MD.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks,
View Quote

we issue them. One used on a victim who caught a round in an artery in the leg (not femoral) and one officer self used on a gash to the leg.

We also carry Celox z-fold gauze.

Most carry personal blow out kits too ( the TQ and Celox is carried in a active shooterbag that everyone is issued along with a couple chest seals and a couple nasal-pharangel airways). I carry an extra TQ on my vest strap and another in a cargo pocket with an extra gauze.

We get our training at raid/entry school which everyone from our dept attends. There is a 6 hour block on the use of TQ, Combat gauze, various dressings, chest seals and nasal-phar airways and then do refresher roll call training taught by our EMT's.
J-
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]
We have on in the med bag of each squad car. I have one on my belt also.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty much every agency here, there is a standardized training program going around.

View Quote

Is the training Web based or available to the public? Been looking for some type of first aid type program.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is the training Web based or available to the public? Been looking for some type of first aid type program.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Classroom. part of a 4 hour training block I think. If you like I can dig you up a name and number.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I seriously doubt they will be coming to Jackson, MS. All the classes that I hear about around here are either restrictioned to EMT or cost prohibitive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I seriously doubt they will be coming to Jackson, MS. All the classes that I hear about around here are either restrictioned to EMT or cost prohibitive.
View Quote

reach out to the local ambulance company or your FD.Our FD does all of our recerts for CPR/First Aid etc.

J-
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:03:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I can confirm that this is happening. Everyone is trained up but those were personally purchased TQs used to save two GSW victims.  The city had not yet issued them out but it is coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

When they made the use and application part of in-service, agencies woke up.  Just the liability of being trained on a life-saving technique, and not issuing the equipment was enough for most to jump on the bandwagon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I have them, along with a few other guys on my squad. None of them were issued, all purchased with personal funds. I keep three GSW kits in my car (one between the passenger headrest and my rifle barrel, one in the trunk attached to my plate carrier, and one in my trunk organizer) along with extra tourniquets in the doors and a chest seal, QuikClot, and a decomp needle in my soft armor vest pocket.

I'm going to be pushing for proper equipment and training after the ambush/drive-by we had yesterday (over dope, no good guys hurt)... myself and our swing shift guy were the only two that showed up with trauma kits and we ended up treating a guy with three gunshot wounds to the chest until EMS was cleared and came in. The other victim was on the block south of where we were and he had been shot a total of six times and had an arterial bleed (hit in both shoulders, both forearms, stomach, and leg).

IMO there is no excuse for not having a blowout kit to deal with stuff like that as part of our issued equipment when they had enough to replace all of our Tasers with camera-equipped yellow models... It probably wouldn't cost more than $100-150 per officer to have a kit with a CAT tourniquet, Hyfin chest seal, QuikClot, Izzy bandage, and NPA. Even if it was vacuum sealed or placed into thick plastic bags... who cares. It's better than nothing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]
It's an official Fed Gov program, from DHS that your Department should get on board with: Stop the Bleed
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We're starting to issue them in a bail out bag. Along wih extra AR mags, quick clot etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's an official Fed Gov program, from DHS that your Department should get on board with: Stop the Bleed
View Quote

I had forgotten all about STB, thanks. I'll present that to my Sergeant that is going to request additional officers next time he meets with the higher ups.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Every officer in NYS is due to be issued a blow out kit by the state once they sit through the mandatory training
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#27]
All of our patrol Deputies are issued an IFAK with a CAT that goes on the duty belt.

Here is a document I've been compiling which shows a bunch of TECC (TCCC) interventions done by cops. The intent is to be able to show numbers (data) to your COC and help get at least tourniquets issued.

LEO Use of TECC

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Our agency includes a CAT in our ASR bags
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Everyone here gets a CAT.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
All of our patrol Deputies are issued an IFAK with a CAT that goes on the duty belt.

Here is a document I've been compiling which shows a bunch of TECC (TCCC) interventions done by cops. The intent is to be able to show numbers (data) to your COC and help get at least tourniquets issued.

LEO Use of TECC

View Quote

LEO USE OF TECC....that is absolutely awesome.  Guys thanks for everyone's replies.  Exactly what I was looking for.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LEO USE OF TECC....that is absolutely awesome.  Guys thanks for everyone's replies.  Exactly what I was looking for.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LEO Use of TECC

Cool, hope it helps brother.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LEO Use of TECC

My Dept issues us the TQ. SOF-T Wide. I prefer them over the cat but that's a personal thing. Comes in a handy bifold belt case with a pressure dressing and quick clot gauze.

We take an 8 hour class,  Post Engagement Strategies,  to be certified to carry it. It's the third day of the ALERRT training. That, in my opinion, is a great 3 day training on active killer scenarios, covering both before, during,and after an incident.

I carry two TQ on my belt (one at 12,one at 9 in my radio pouch). One on my plate carrier, and I have 3 in my patrol bag, with pressure dressing and gauze rubber banned to them for distribution if self aid can be accomplished by a downed officer /person.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Every officer in NYS is due to be issued a blow out kit by the state once they sit through the mandatory training
View Quote

I know some departments are just getting on that band wagon. My Dept was very being in accepting the states offer,but finally has.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah. 275 man department ATM. In the past 2 years since issued they've been used numerous times to stop arterial bleeds. Anything from a bad traffic crash to shooting victims. They are supposed to be for the officer but they've been put on a lot of victims.

In about 2 been used on about 18-20 people and have saved those peoples lives. Highly effective.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#35]
My agency issues everyone a Tac Med Solutions blowout kit with a SOFTT tourniquet.  We haven't had to use any of them yet.  I also keep a CAT tourniquet in my driver's door pocket and another in the IFAK I keep in the passenger side floorboard.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Everyone is issued a SOFTT and a SWAT-T.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Tourniquets AND Quikclot about 3-4 years ago.  Training is in-house for 2 hours and done during the initial orientation for the new guys.  They became standard issue after an officer in a neighboring jurisdiction took an AK to the torso.  As the story goes, he was fading out on scene, Quikclot was administered properly and he basically came back to life...talking and color in his face as he was being loaded in the bus.  

The tourniquets have been used a couple times with us.  One specific time it was credited for definitely saving a lady's life.  Chick slipped coming out of a bar and a glass broke in her had, cutting an artery bad.  Buddy working a detail noticed how bad it was and applied the T.  Because of the heavy traffic downtown and the time it took for medics to get there, they said that she probably would have bled out if not for the T.  They work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#38]
If you are in a position to order the CATs, which are the only TQs I would recommend, make sure you are getting the real deal: Fake CATs

While on the topic of CATs, if you are in a position to use one for the first time you are prone to not tightening it enough.  Once you think you have the TQ tight, give it another turn.  I have come across many providers not tightening the CAT enough.  One more tid-bit, please don't forget to mark the time of placement in two places, the TQ itself and the patient's forehead.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

If you are in a position to order the CATs, which are the only TQs I would recommend, make sure you are getting the real deal: Fake CATs

While on the topic of CATs, if you are in a position to use one for the first time you are prone to not tightening it enough.  Once you think you have the TQ tight, give it another turn.  I have come across many providers not tightening the CAT enough.  One more tid-bit, please don't forget to mark the time of placement in two places, the TQ itself and the patient's forehead.
View Quote
just out of curiosity, why only CATS over say SOFTT? width, ease of application?

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I say chose the CAT for couple of reasons: first, it is incredibly easy to apply.  In my current job I see the most injured of the injured and have applied many CATs with zero issues.  They are easy to apply to others, and possibly more importantly for LEOs, easy to apply to yourself.  Second, the most common issue I hear people have with the CAT is the plastic windlass breaking or getting close to the breaking point.  I have never had one break on me, the plastic does tend to have some give to it and it will appear to bend while turning, but I have never had one break.  I can think of only two instances where they would possibly fail.  The first is unknowingly purchasing a knock off.  Second is using it for training.  Do NOT use your TQ for training, no matter the brand.  Repeated practice applications will weaken every part of the TQ opening it up to failure.  Purchase a dedicated training TQ, NAR sells one that is labeled as training use only.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#41]
We can buy them...with our own money, lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#42]
We are issued them along with a first aid kit after taking the SABA (self aid/buddy aid) course through TEEX.

Great class, good kit.

https://teex.org/Pages/Class.aspx?course=LET215&courseTitle=Self-Aid/Buddy+Aid
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#43]
My brother-in-law carried one by choice (not issued by his department)... He ended up using it within 6 months of carrying it on a guy who tried to catch a power saw that he dropped...  The department paid to have his personal tourniquet replaced.  Not sure if they started issuing them.  This all happened last summer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:58:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I say chose the CAT for couple of reasons: first, it is incredibly easy to apply.  In my current job I see the most injured of the injured and have applied many CATs with zero issues.  They are easy to apply to others, and possibly more importantly for LEOs, easy to apply to yourself.  Second, the most common issue I hear people have with the CAT is the plastic windlass breaking or getting close to the breaking point.  I have never had one break on me, the plastic does tend to have some give to it and it will appear to bend while turning, but I have never had one break.  I can think of only two instances where they would possibly fail.  The first is unknowingly purchasing a knock off.  Second is using it for training.  Do NOT use your TQ for training, no matter the brand.  Repeated practice applications will weaken every part of the TQ opening it up to failure.  Purchase a dedicated training TQ, NAR sells one that is labeled as training use only.
View Quote

I agree. I teach TCCC and CLS for a gov contractor and we use and reuse the CATs and I have only seen them fail after dozens of uses which would never occur under normal circumstances. The CAT is the only one that can be easily and effectively applied one handed under stress. The SOFT-T is a great TQ but if I had to pick only one it would be the CAT every time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do they provide training or help with kits? Very rural small dept here who has no money to issue gear like that!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#46]
My agency (~280 sworn officer) issues officer down bags with TQ's, quickclot, an israeli bandage, shears, and a compression bandage to everyone.  They've been used a couple times on shooting victim's and an officer used one on a wounded detective after a shooting in a housing project a few years ago (http://myfox8.com/2013/10/10/new-hanover-county-detective-shot-suspect-on-the-run/)

The officer who started the program and championed their use was also a part-time paramedic and gave a 2 hour training class on the use of all the items.  He has since left and while the rookies are getting issued the kits, I don't know that they're getting the training...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Those of you who work for agencies that issue TQs or full kits, are the people instructing you (if done in-house) certified LE trainers or is it informal training?

I could get our people better prepared than they are (at least in explaining what the products in most trauma kits are and why/how they are used effectively, not claiming to be a medic or anything obviously) but I'm not an instructor so I don't know anything in some people's eyes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#48]
We have them in every car, along with a medkit.  The city also issued a second one to me with my rifle.  Our EMS unit conducted our training. This is a relatively recent development.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Martin County Sheriffs Office Florida
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LEO Use of TECC

We were taught a "non certified" version of TECC in my academy by a btdt TECC instructor (ex army doc attached to SF), they were still working the system to allow them to certify us. Another couple cycles and they probably will be. Also, we were issued CAT's on one of the first days and had almost daily drills with them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top