Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2015 3:19:25 AM EDT
Does anyone wear rifle plates at all times? My department finally approved load bearing vests and I've been weighing the pros and cons of wearing hard plates at all times. Just curious if anyone does?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Keep a PC in the trunk or in your passenger seat. Plates are for special circumstances. You don't need level IV protection to answer motor vehicle accident calls. Throw them on when you actually need them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Keep a PC in the trunk or in your passenger seat. Plates are for special circumstances. You don't need level IV protection to answer motor vehicle accident calls. Throw them on when you actually need them.
View Quote
The problem with that is I won't be able to wear a plate carrier over my plate carrier
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Two options that I can think of:
1) Take off the soft armor vest  and run the PC when needed
2) instead of a PC get an armor carrier like the Mayflower/Velocity Systems LPAC and wear the armor carrier sans plates and add plates when needed

When I was in patrol I wore a concealment vest and wore the PC outside the uniform when it was needed.
Now that I'm in a specialized unit I wear my soft armor in an outer vest. Plan is that if I immediately need the PC I just doff the armor and go with the PC. Again, remember you are losing coverage for most threat rounds (pistol caliber) when only wearing plates. It's a risk.  

I couldn't imagine wearing plates on 99% of the calls. Your back is going to kill you and being seated for extended periods of time with two plates is going to be super uncomfortable
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Two options that I can think of:

1) Take off the soft armor vest  and run the PC when needed

2) instead of a PC get an armor carrier like the Mayflower/Velocity Systems LPAC and wear the armor carrier sans plates and add plates when needed

When I was in patrol I wore a concealment vest and wore the PC outside the uniform when it was needed.

Now that I'm in a specialized unit I wear my soft armor in an outer vest. Plan is that if I immediately need the PC I just doff the armor and go with the PC. Again, remember you are losing coverage for most threat rounds (pistol caliber) when only wearing plates. It's a risk.  

I couldn't imagine wearing plates on 99% of the calls. Your back is going to kill you and being seated for extended periods of time with two plates is going to be super uncomfortable
View Quote
Good suggestions. The only issue I have with that is my PC has my IFAK, radio, mags, cuffs etc... I suppose I could set up an identical PC with rifle plates and trunk that.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What type of PC are using for the street?
I'd honestly consider looking at an armor carrier instead of an actual PC.
Most PCs aren't made to work/wear correctly without the plates.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]

I have this one. It's the only one approved by the department.

http://www.leedway.com/Safariland-Oregon-City-Armor-Carrier-p/ocac.htm

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Wear this and add plates when needed:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/lowprofilearmorcarrier.aspx

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear an LBT 6094 with soft armor for patrol everyday.  I also have the same carrier set up with rifle plates on the front seat. Vest are set the same way except the rifle vest has rifle mags across the front instead of taser/ baton and an IFAK, I just swap the radio over when needed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I wear an LBT 6094 with soft armor for patrol everyday.  I also have the same carrier set up with rifle plates on the front seat. Vest are set the same way except the rifle vest has rifle mags across the front instead of taser/ baton and an IFAK, I just swap the radio over when needed.
View Quote
I think that's what I am going to do too. Thanks for the suggestion
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The only plate I could see running 100% of the time would be the MTEK critical protection inserts. Only 2 lbs for a 10x12 and stop 556 and 7.62x39 when ICW II or higher.  I have watched some videos and it does stop the rounds but with a lot of backface defacement. It will cover most of the exotic handgun rounds, too. Or you could get some Victory Tactical Gear ALAP SRT 1520's (like the velocity low vis plates). They cost a lot but VTG does individual officer sales with a nice discount. Needs a level iiia backing but super light weight (under 4lbs) and thin!

VTG ALAP SRT 1520

MTEK CPI

Edit to fix link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top