Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2015 6:23:31 PM EDT

Hi All,

Looking for warm undergarments for work.  Long hours standing in the cold, not a whole lot of moving around.

Tried Cold Gear turtlenecks (tactical) and they didn't help much.  

Looking for upper body warmth.. the legs seem to be ok, but could use really warm socks.  Dark blue or black preferably.

Any thoughts beside Under Armor?

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Look into motorcycle under garment pieces. You could even go with a heated vest or undershirt, they run off rechargeable batteries and last a while.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have outdoors stores like REI there?  Or try rei.com or give them a call, they'll help you out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Smartwool it they have dark blue?

Covert Threads does have Black under garments beside the standard OD.

Check Cabela's and BPS
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not underarmor?

From my experience everything has sucked beside it and most others are of a similar cost when you get into other reputable manufacturers
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Darn Tough socks. Lifetime warranty, made in USA.

Surplus Poly-Pros on Ebay for cold weather.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Darn Tough socks. Lifetime warranty, made in USA.

Surplus Poly-Pros on Ebay for cold weather.
View Quote

If he can get any of the newer waffle pattern as surplus those should be better
I still wear my old military polys but that's because I had so many sets when we transitioned to the waffles
Unfortunately I didn't have much more than my basic issue of the waffles when I retired
OP, if its getting really cold you might need to look at doing more than retaining heat, but providing some of your own
Last year when it was so very cold around here I revisited my childhood and picked up a  couple of these to use

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=66638036&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:66638036:21619907:HUNTING&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120138600003415453&catargetid=120138600002758194&cadevice=c
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Minus33 merino wool mid weight base layer tops and bottoms. I'll only wear wool from now on in winters. Thin, breathable, and cool inside but warm outside. Fuck all poly blends.

I've stood outside in blizzards on wreck scenes and been fine. With wool, you don't have to generate body heat through exertion to be warm (like Cold Gear type polys) it just works. Wool also insulates if it's wet (think sailor's wool coats), and doesn't smell under the vest!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for all the ideas.  I'm going to check them out.  For whatever reason I never found Underarmor to be all that great.

Regards
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear the Patagoni base layers when its real cold, less than 30 with no physical activity. Any warmer than that or being active they are too hot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I wear the Cabela's ECWS undergarments on really cold days here.

It works awesome
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
it depends on what you're going to be doing..

working in the cold? (constantly moving/exerting)
sitting in the cold? (nothing "slim" will work, everything in this category will be bulky)

seriously look into CRAFT (they make road cycling clothing) they're extremely warm for the relative thickness. (they're also EXTREMELY expensive, my kit cost about $450)

Also, look into multiple layers of both insulating layers and windblocking layers UNDER your exterior most thermal layer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top