Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2015 5:44:28 PM EDT
I am on my third attempt with my local Sheriffs Office. First time, I didn't make the cut as there were only 2 openings for new hires. Second time, I screwed up and missed the physical test due to my work schedule and my own stupidity. This time, there are 5 openings for untrained hires and I am down to about 26 applicants left at this stage.

I have already passed the written and physical tests. I think I did better this time than previously, but I will know for sure at the interview.

My first attempt, I made it through the interview but felt like I left without representing myself as well as I could have. That's not to say it didn't go well, but I feel it could have gone better.

A little background.

I have been in the automotive field for nearly 15 years, I am 30 years old, have 2 kids and going through a divorce (stressful, but fairly civil). I have wanted to get into law enforcement pretty much since high school. Life got in the way and I made other choices that led me away from it.  I moved to another state, ended up with my wife and moved home when our first was on the way. We both had family here and decided it was best. I live in a rural county with little violent crime but a good amount of drugs and associated nonsense. I know several deputies personally from growing up here and I have known the Sheriff since I was in the explorer program with the local state police barracks back in high school.

My main issue I am having is when they ask my why I want to be a cop. There are many obvious reasons, but I honestly just feel like I have had the calling for so long, and it is what I am meant to do (my family all agree and have been very supportive). I feel like that sounds corny or like BS. Maybe I am over thinking it, but that's why I am here now. My friends that are deputies have taken me out on several ride alongs and we have had some good talks. I understand that "helping people and making a difference" seems cliche. What would some of you suggest I say to get my point across without sounding like a hippy tree huger or some bat man wannabe?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I will keep this thread updated from here on as I progress.

I am sure some of you will tell me I am making a mistake and being a cop today sucks, but I am stubborn and won't listed to that. lol.

UPDATE:

Well gentlemen, apparently I did well in my interview. I got an email today with a background packet to fill out as well as a date and time for my polygraph.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I will keep updating this thread as I move on.

UPDATE:

My polygraph is Tuesday morning. From others who have been there, it sounds not-so-bad. I am looking forward to getting through it and moving on. I don't think I will have any issues, just trying to keep from psyching myself out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't provide much insight, but as someone waiting impatiently for my interview call- Good Luck!
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Video tape yourself answering questions.  

Watch it.  

Avoid sounding rehearsed but use the video to see what looks or sounds wrong

An oral board is about more than just the words you say.  

Keep control of your movements, look them in the eye, don't fidget, etc

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I would just say be yourself- during mine I felt more like they were testing my people skills and personality, nobody wants to work with an anti social robot. I would say its more how you answer the question; eye contact, being personable, rather then what your answer is
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Just stay as relaxed as you can. As for why law enforcement, I think what you typed here is a perfectly fine answer. Just be genuine with everything.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just stay as relaxed as you can. As for why law enforcement, I think what you typed here is a perfectly fine answer. Just be genuine with everything.
View Quote

This right here.  There is nothing wrong with the answer, "I like being there to help people...or I want to be part of providing a service to the community"  If you've done numerous ride alongs, know several cops, and you think the work would appeal to you tell them that.  But be genuine with your answer.  If you think helping people sounds good, but not really your reason, they will see it in your interview.  

If it is the sense of camaraderie among squad mates, being there to offer assistance to people who are in need, wanting to be a good role model, because you are detailed oriented and enjoy regular in-service training, whatever, just make sure your answer is genuine.  

As far as the batman wannabe, if you say something along the lines of, "Yeah it is a huge thrill running lights and sirens"  That might not fly.  But, "I did a ride along with Officer Jones in March of 2015 and he responded to an armed robbery that just occurred.  His attention to officer safety, securing the scene, calling in detectives, canvassing for witnesses, and how he wrote the report were eye opening.  As he wrote his report he discussed details of his preliminary investigation, things he was looking for and details he wanted to capture.  I said to myself, this is something I want to be a part of.  This is something bigger than me where I would be playing an important role in the community."    

Gook Luck
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This right here.  There is nothing wrong with the answer, "I like being there to help people...or I want to be part of providing a service to the community"  If you've done numerous ride alongs, know several cops, and you think the work would appeal to you tell them that.  But be genuine with your answer.  If you think helping people sounds good, but not really your reason, they will see it in your interview.  

If it is the sense of camaraderie among squad mates, being there to offer assistance to people who are in need, wanting to be a good role model, because you are detailed oriented and enjoy regular in-service training, whatever, just make sure your answer is genuine.  

As far as the batman wannabe, if you say something along the lines of, "Yeah it is a huge thrill running lights and sirens"  That might not fly.  But, "I did a ride along with Officer Jones in March of 2015 and he responded to an armed robbery that just occurred.  His attention to officer safety, securing the scene, calling in detectives, canvassing for witnesses, and how he wrote the report were eye opening.  As he wrote his report he discussed details of his preliminary investigation, things he was looking for and details he wanted to capture.  I said to myself, this is something I want to be a part of.  This is something bigger than me where I would be playing an important role in the community."    

Gook Luck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gook Luck

I really appreciate all of the input here as in the other responses. I understand what you are all saying. I did notice that it helped in my last interview that I knew one of the officers interviewing me. That really helped me to stay calm and collected and answer the questions more easily and relaxed.

While there is obviously a thrilling side to running code to a call, that's just a bonus to me. There is a reason I only applied to my local office. I really want to focus on giving back to the county in which I reside. I have young children and I want them growing up in a community that I work hard to keep safe and as drug free as possible.

I really like the tip about recording myself. That will definitely help me to keep from getting my words jumbled when answering. Last time I felt like my mind was going a thousand miles a minute and I really had to focus on what I wanted to say without overthinking my answers. (if that makes any sense).

Thanks again to all of you who took time to reply. Good luck to you as well Ghostdog1066.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck tomorrow buddy! I'll be flying in the afternoon but I'll call you in the evening to see how it went.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:34:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the encouragement. I am about to get ready now and head over. I will update when I return. I hope I will be working on my background investigation packet tonight. Good luck to you guys as well.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I honestly think that the interview went as well as it could have.

I printed 3 copies of my resume so that each member of the panel could have one to review.

I took the advise about answering questions on camera and reviewing them to see what I should work on.

I looked up interview questions, read correct responses and then figured out how I would respond.

One thing that really helped me to get inside my own head and calm my nerves, was to act as if I were on a ride along and simply having a conversation with an officer. Once I put myself more on the level of the men interviewing me, it really helped me to relax and focus on organizing my thoughts quickly to answer questions more honestly without getting tongue tied.

Again, Thank you all for the support. I should hear back by Friday if I am moving on to the background investigation or not. I will update the thread when I hear back.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top