Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2015 1:02:03 PM EDT
Im getting sick of burning through CR123's, so I am looking for some rechargeable lights, preferable ones that recharge off of a micro USB cable.  

I carry two on me, one is a little compact single cell fenix with adjustable output.  I do NOT like carrying the big maglite out of the car, so this is the light I use on stops or for basic searching.  Something variable would be preferred in the 10-250 or similar range, where the light will default to the last position used, and have a push button on the back.

Second light: surefire Fury.  Great light, but again, eats batteries.  This is what I use for searching buildings, disorienting, etc.

Mine is a single output, and I am fine with that.  I wouldn't mind a variable output light, but it must default to the highest position.  If this light is being used, its because I need more light than the other smaller light I carry.  Same criteria, micro USB rechargeable, and lumen range in the 500-1000 range, and preferable the same style activation as my surefire.  Momentary is a must, clickie optional.

Any recommendations?  Im typically a surefire guy, but have obviously used fenix and I like it fine.  Outside of those lights, I don't know what is really suitable for duty use anymore, and trying to wade through 400 lights is pretty....tedious.

What do you guys like?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure they've hit stores yet, but this is what I'm jonesing for. Runs on a single AAA, so you can get rechargeables or just toss it and put in a new one when it goes.

Surefire Titan Plus

There is another version out but it isn't as bright and I don't think it comes with a clip.

No pocket clip according to surefire.com, so this one isn't for me but I don't know your needs.

ETA: Looks like it comes with a rechargeable battery...

ETA 2: Massive fail on my part. No tailcap switch. Check out this Fenix instead.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=321

Like mine, I took the clip off though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Im getting sick of burning through CR123's, so I am looking for some rechargeable lights, preferable ones that recharge off of a micro USB cable.  

I carry two on me, one is a little compact single cell fenix with adjustable output.  I do NOT like carrying the big maglite out of the car, so this is the light I use on stops or for basic searching.  Something variable would be preferred in the 10-250 or similar range, where the light will default to the last position used, and have a push button on the back.

Second light: surefire Fury.  Great light, but again, eats batteries.  This is what I use for searching buildings, disorienting, etc.

Mine is a single output, and I am fine with that.  I wouldn't mind a variable output light, but it must default to the highest position.  If this light is being used, its because I need more light than the other smaller light I carry.  Same criteria, micro USB rechargeable, and lumen range in the 500-1000 range, and preferable the same style activation as my surefire.  Momentary is a must, clickie optional.

Any recommendations?  Im typically a surefire guy, but have obviously used fenix and I like it fine.  Outside of those lights, I don't know what is really suitable for duty use anymore, and trying to wade through 400 lights is pretty....tedious.

What do you guys like?
View Quote

This one meets most of your criteria, and exceeds others.  

http://www.amazon.com/Klarus-XT12-Rechargeable-LED-FLashlight/dp/B00OS81BW6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Both myself and a friend of mine have one of these. They're fantastic lights, especially for the price you pay.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
You won't find many lights that are rechargeable with a momentary option.

Why not just get a few rechargeable cells for your existing lights? Go with a good brand name battery, something like nitecore or fenix batteries. You can get all sorts of package deals on 18650 or rechargeable 123s and a charger.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You won't find many lights that are rechargeable with a momentary option.

Why not just get a few rechargeable cells for your existing lights? Go with a good brand name battery, something like nitecore or fenix batteries. You can get all sorts of package deals on 18650 or rechargeable 123s and a charger.
View Quote

Thats probably what Im going to end up doing.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Can anybody recommend decent rechargable cr123s? I have the same problem with a surefire on my belt constantly running through batteries
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can anybody recommend decent rechargable cr123s? I have the same problem with a surefire on my belt constantly running through batteries
View Quote

Olight for cr123s.  However, if your light takes two cr123s, switch to an 18650 battery.  Holds way more energy than two 123 cells, and is basically the same size.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I built my main light and carry a pt2aaa in my shirt pocket for a smaller light for writing notes or searching cars.  I have yet to need to change the pt2aaa batteries in a year of use on night shift.  My belt light i put together is an old incan surefire g3 with 1060 lumen led upgrade in an aluminum 6p head with pyrex glass lens.  Costa ring and 5.11 atac holster.  It eats cr123's, three at a time but i use my light more than i use anything else on my belt besides the radio.  Recharging batteries is just another thing i have to remember to do after shift and for the cost of 2 sets of rechargables and a charger i can buy bulk cr123's online for a dollar each.  I dont think rechargables are worth it especially considering they too will need to be replaced if you use them frequently enough.  Im not sure that the surefire fury works well with rechargables and will probably void the warranty.  IM sure someone on here can correct me if im wrong but i believe high draw lights like the fury will discharge rechargables too fast and they will heat up and pop.

TLDR:  Just buy cr123's in bulk.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 3:01:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I carried a Surefire R1 Lawman for a while and switched to a nitecore P12... Basically the same light as the fenix pd35. Love it!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Look for a flashlight that has 14500 batteries.  Same size as a AA but more power and rechargeable.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:07:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Streamlight Stinger HPL

Streamlight Strion HL

I carry both, couldn't be happier.  The HPL make the inside of a car on a traffic stop like daylight
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I picked up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHVNVQ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Its rechargable, comes with two batteries that can be charged outside the flashlight itself (micro usb) and comes with a 4 x AAA battery adapter so you can use AAs if you wish.

I personally prefer it for the quick beam adjustment so I can go from a spotlight on a driver to a wide  beam for a non blinding illumination of vehicle interiors and sidewalks while searching for evidence.

It has three functions, high, alternating strobe and low.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
On my belt I run a Fenix PD35 variable output all the way up to 960 lumens with rechargeable 18650 batteries.  I have 3 batteries that I rotate so I always have fresh batteries in my patrol bag if I get stuck working a longer shift.  And also i have been carrying the Streamlight Stylus Pro pen light in my shirt pocket.  For all small tasks the pen light is awesome and when I need to light up a building at night or outside I go with the Fenix.  Oh and also the x300 ultra on my glock
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quark malstrom is what you seak
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm running the Nitecore P12 right now. Almost 1000 Lumens, 4 outputs, plus three strobe settings, rechargeable battery packs. Nitecore also makes a USB rechargeable model I believe.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm running the Nitecore P12 right now. Almost 1000 Lumens, 4 outputs, plus three strobe settings, rechargeable battery packs. Nitecore also makes a USB rechargeable model I believe.
View Quote

It's the MH 12
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Strion HL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top