BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No one goes to jail here without first being arraigned, unless its a handful of straight to jail warrants
As of a few months ago we can no longer do initial arraignment without counsel, which means not only are we dragging a judge out of bed for less than minimum wage in the middle of the night, we are dragging a lawyer out of bed who will be happy to charge the county $400/ hr for that 2 AM arraignment
Thank you very much NYC
Yet another reason for the rest of the state to despise you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of our arraignments have to be done with in 48 Hours of CHARGING. Arraignments start at 1000hrs every day for our court officer or designated day shift officer, if the court officer is off.

J-

No one goes to jail here without first being arraigned, unless its a handful of straight to jail warrants
As of a few months ago we can no longer do initial arraignment without counsel, which means not only are we dragging a judge out of bed for less than minimum wage in the middle of the night, we are dragging a lawyer out of bed who will be happy to charge the county $400/ hr for that 2 AM arraignment
Thank you very much NYC
Yet another reason for the rest of the state to despise you

Wow that sucks ass. Sorry you guys are hamstrung like that.

J-
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
not humping calls anymore but for my agency it varied greatly on where in the county you worked.  I would say the busiest sections (Strip area of the beach) guys averaged about 1-2 per shift
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Small suburban agency, 9 full time officers, 5 on patrol, pop is around 4000.  I've got 31 arrests so far this year and am leading the dept by quite a ways.  County jaIl is a 45 min drive one way so most misdemeanor arrests are bonded  at our facility after fingerprints and booking.  That averages about 30min.  Felonies, DV's, and DUI's head to county after prints and processing.  You'll be out of town for at least 2 hours.  We do rely heavily on calling out Reserve Officers for transport so we don't leave the city unattended that long.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Got two tonight, that's a hell of a good night. I normally average 1-2 a week from straight calls.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Even our most gung ho guys only get one to two a shift (12 hrs).  Medium sized Department for my State.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Even our most gung ho guys only get one to two a shift (12 hrs).  Medium sized Department for my State.
View Quote

That's still about 6-7 times what our most gung ho guys on patrol did.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
3-5 per week.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, our booking process is about five minutes.  Court officer uses our report for arraignment/probable cause hearing.  We do a charge sheet and a report.  A misdemeanor citation is actually more work than taking someone to jail.

They count misdemeanor citations and traffic citations in with our arrests on our stats.  It's nothing to have 40 "arrests" in a month.  On average, I take about one person to jail per shift, most from calls for service.  Think my highest for a shift was six.  Goes up this time of year with all the shoplifters.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow.  Back when I was on patrol me and my partner usually brought in 5-10 felonies a week, with 10-20 misdemeanors and 10-20 warrants.

Mind you, processing a felony arrest usually took no more than an hour (except DWIs,) unless the arrestee was rejected and we had to go to the hospital.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mind you, processing a felony arrest usually took no more than an hour (except DWIs,) unless the arrestee was rejected and we had to go to the hospital.
View Quote

That's the major difference, pretty much any arrest we made meant you were done for the shift and probably some OT also.
Once you hit the monthly OT cap (usually 45 hours/month but sometimes 35) if you brought an arrest in they'd reassign it to someone else. The few guys at work who did DUIs usually got a minimum of 8 hours OT for each arrest and sometimes as much as 12 hours.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's the major difference, pretty much any arrest we made meant you were done for the shift and probably some OT also.
Once you hit the monthly OT cap (usually 45 hours/month but sometimes 35) if you brought an arrest in they'd reassign it to someone else. The few guys at work who did DUIs usually got a minimum of 8 hours OT for each arrest and sometimes as much as 12 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF would you do for 8-12 hours sitting with a drunk?  How would that time be spent?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I stop between 10 and 20 cars a night in between calls. Most calls are domestic violence. So adding it all up I'd say probably 2 or 3 arrests a night average. City of 50,000 people.

ETA I have the highest calls to service answered, arrests,  and traffic tickets in my whole department so my numbers are higher than average.

Some guys get 3 arrests and maybe 40 tickets the whole year.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#13]
When I worked in the hood I made multiple arrests a day sometimes, after my "censure and reassignment" I'm lucky to get one or two a month out in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WTF would you do for 8-12 hours sitting with a drunk?  How would that time be spent?
View Quote

There weren't with the drunk,  they were sitting down at the DA's office for hours and hours waiting for an ADA to draw up their case. The length of the DUI arrest process was the main reason most cops wouldn't go near a DUI arrest. Only the super OT hungry guys made them. Luckily I had two of them on my shift that took any I happened to come across.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A LEO buddy in Louisiana always told me almost everyone he encounters has a warrant on them.  He does work a bad part of a Parish. He once took a whole entire family in as EVERYONE had 1 or more warrants....like 12 people

He made an arrest once a shift. Around here I would guess 1/wk for the dept.
View Quote

How the hell do some many people have warrants on them and not know? How do someone get a warrant on them, and how would they find out that information ? Also does the statue of limitations come into play if the warrant is out for too long ?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How the hell do some many people have warrants on them and not know? How do someone get a warrant on them, and how would they find out that information ? Also does the statue of limitations come into play if the warrant is out for too long ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A LEO buddy in Louisiana always told me almost everyone he encounters has a warrant on them.  He does work a bad part of a Parish. He once took a whole entire family in as EVERYONE had 1 or more warrants....like 12 people

They know they have warrants.  They are just dodging the inevitable.

When I pull a car over and someone in the car lights up a cigarette, I know that person thinks they are going to jail.  They usually do.  Gotta get that one last cigarette in before you go!
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There weren't with the drunk,  they were sitting down at the DA's office for hours and hours waiting for an ADA to draw up their case. The length of the DUI arrest process was the main reason most cops wouldn't go near a DUI arrest. Only the super OT hungry guys made them. Luckily I had two of them on my shift that took any I happened to come across.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird system.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Weird system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird system.

Beyond absurd.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

When I pull a car over and someone in the car lights up a cigarette, I know that person thinks they are going to jail.  They usually do.  Gotta get that one last cigarette in before you go!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Great tell!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Beyond absurd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird system.

Beyond absurd.

You guys can get away with that approach in a city where many adults don't even bother getting a license at all because their various mass transit options exist
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Our guys average 6-10.  2-3 felony and the rest (majority) misdemeanors.

Keep in mind a felony warrant counts as a felony arrest so...

And 20-30 tickets and you are good.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd like to know how you guys that are pulling such high numbers do your arrest procedures and reporting...

If I make an arrest off of anything more complicated than driving with a suspended license (with knowledge) it literally takes me like 4-6 hours to do it all...

Our process is horrendously slow and repetitive...
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd like to know how you guys that are pulling such high numbers do your arrest procedures and reporting...

If I make an arrest off of anything more complicated than driving with a suspended license (with knowledge) it literally takes me like 4-6 hours to do it all...

View Quote

The more efficient officers can blast thru a dwls or simple warrant arrest with booking, lodging (we hold uoto9 prisoners for up to 3 days normally) and report writing in 1.5 to 2 hr max.  We work 12s so....
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:00:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK so this is how it would work for a Domestic Violence arrest, which is prob the most time consuming (short of a OWI with a search warrant for blood) at our dept.

Say you are on scene for 20minutes and make a DV arrest.

Booking at our place will take 15-30minutes to book and process ( A lot of times another officer will do this for you and at very least the Sgt and/or LT will fill out the intake paperwork for you.)

FOR ME (been doing this for 21 years) the standard DV report and paperwork will take me about 1 hour.  That included the case report, warrant request paperwork and our BS other forms for DV's.

Once approved I will upload the report etc into our electronic submittal system that will forward it to the Prosecutor. This literally takes 3 minutes.

Lodging at the county jail for lodgeable offenses (DV is one) will take 10 minutes drive time and about 10-30minutes at the jail. Most of the time this will be done by a free officer while you are typing your report.

Absolute worse case scenario its taken me 2 hrs start to finish including transport to the jail. More likely it will be about 1.25hrs is someone processes and transports for me.

At this point I am done until there is a trial. We have court officers that will get the warrant emailed to them the next day , they will swear it out and have the person arraigned, which has to happen with in 48hrs (for a DV).

If its something like a warrant arrest it takes the amount of time to drop the person off at the county jail and type a 10 line report.

We work 12 hour shifts so, if you are an efficient officer (and dont have a fucked up process to follow) you can make numerous arrests in a shift with no trouble.

We only count physical arrests for our arrest stats no appearance tickets etc.

For instance I am a shift Sgt in charge of running a shift and I make 5-10 arrests a month.

J-
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Luckily ours is pretty quick. Depending on what type of arrest it is, either drop them off at county after making the arrest or transport them to the station to do paperwork.

Most arrests go something like type up your case report, create an arrest report which is just importing the case report narrative into the arrest report, copy and paste your narrative to a probable cause affidavit, sign it and drop it back off to the county so they can be arraigned by the judge in the morning.  

DWI's take the longest for me, at about 2.5-3 hours depending on if they give blood or not and I have to get a warrant.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#26]
2-3 per week on average. Most ever was 6 in one day, homeless fight, had 2 in the back at once.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top