Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2015 8:07:33 PM EDT
Had to testify in a 1976 coldcase homocide pretrial hearing today. Had to dust 39 years of dust off my brain. I live in a different state now. The prosecutor let me testify over the phone. The trial is set for December. The defendant has fired two public defenders and is defending himself.

The prosecutor sent my case report to me. I was a uniform officer at the time and was supervised by a detective. I drew 5 pages of diagrams, collected, marked evidence, and signed it into the property/evidence dept.

I did not get to review any crime scene photos. A picture is worth a thousand words.

It is hard getting the dust out of my brain. If the trial had happened within a few years after the murder, my memory (my grand kids say remembery) would be much better. I'm sure when I review the photos it will all come back to me.

The point of this post is to remind you that this may happen to you one day. I wish I had written a more detailed report. For instance, I found a camera in a closet with a roll of film in it. 2 of the 12 frames had been exposed. I am sure we shot a photo of the camera where it was found, but I did not get to see the photo. A more detailed report might say I found it on the floor under a jacket, etc.

Make a more detailed report than I did. This guy will get convicted. Photos will help, but what if something happens to the photos. Details, details, details.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I always say they can subpoena me from a white, sandy beach sometime.

What came along to revive this case?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Killed his wife. Moved to San Diego and lived under a false name. For some reason he started using his real name again recently. Cold case investigators probably got an NCIC hit on his name and found his location.

I read my 39 year old case report and realized I could have made a more accurate report. I'm sure the photos will refresh my memory.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Has happened to me several times. I have a DWI fatality pending in court right now from 2008.

That's why there are filing cabinets in the garage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top