Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2015 8:03:06 AM EDT
I'm trying to get our depts clothing allotment raised.  Currently our detectives are expected to wear shirt/tie, slacks and blazer.  We are given $23 per 2 week pay period to accomplish this.

What are your bureaus requirements and if you get and allotment or stipend what is it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
$600 buys a lot of suits at Men's Wearhouse.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It sure does if you wait an entire year to do it, while doing exactly what for clothing while you're waiting?

Heck, $230 buys a suit a couple shirts and a couple ties right?  if you wait 5 months to do it.

Thanks for being helpful
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps you could look for the stipend to be paid all at once or as a reimbursement.  Might be easier than pushing for an increase.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Perhaps you could look for the stipend to be paid all at once or as a re-embursement. Might be easier than pushing for an increase.
View Quote

Thats kinda the compromise goal, but i figure if i start out asking for that it'll get shot down.  Ask for 10 and compromise at 5 leaves both sides happy kinda thing.  But i want to get input from other officers on how their departments do things like this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Our guys in a non-uniform assignment are given $1200 every January for a clothing allotment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Our guys in a non-uniform assignment are given $1200 every January for a clothing allotment.
View Quote

Jeez us, that's pretty good!  Is there a recoupment if they leave the assignment in say, March and go to uniform patrol?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Ours get $500 per year in the fall, same time all the other bonus money is paid.  Pretty sure they can't get it early.  Maybe you could negotiate for a little less money, but paid in a lump sum.

I would just be happy to have my employer pay for my wardrobe. I find it silly that they pay for suits, but patrol officers pay for things like flashlights and boots out of pocket.

I think the "cclothing allowance" is more of just a bonus pay for detectives. I would just view it as being paid $13 a week bonus "detective pay".  Ours don't get paid any more than patrol officers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone (uniform, Detective, plainclothes, etc.) gets $1000 every December for uniform/clothing allowance.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ours get $500 per year in the fall, same time all the other bonus money is paid.  Pretty sure they can't get it early.  Maybe you could negotiate for a little less money, but paid in a lump sum.

I would just be happy to have my employer pay for my wardrobe. I find it silly that they pay for suits, but patrol officers pay for things like flashlights and boots out of pocket.

I think the "cclothing allowance" is more of just a bonus pay for detectives. I would just view it as being paid $13 a week bonus "detective pay".  Ours don't get paid any more than patrol officers.
View Quote

Our detectives actually take a pay cut from UP.  UP works an 84 hour pay period, with far more easily obtained overtime (late arrests, etc).  The bureau works an 80 hour cycle and OT is strictly verboten.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Our detectives actually take a pay cut from UP.  UP works an 84 hour pay period, with far more easily obtained overtime (late arrests, etc).  The bureau works an 80 hour cycle and OT is strictly verboten.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours made OT but I could easily make more on patrol. One of the reasons I turned down a detective slot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]
We have two options:

(1) you get $300 twice a year for uniform allowance.

(2) you can get up to $1,000 advancement (after purchase - itemized receipt required) and then pay back small sum each paycheck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I think our detectives get 1000 per year once a year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Our allotment was dumped a few years back.  Now we get a $2.25/hr bump over our basic patrol wages.  No lump sum.  However we also get a lot more leniency in our clothing requirements.  Khakis, squared away cargo pants, clean carhartt's (not the heavy weight browns, but the lighter work pants), and polos or button ups are what we get away with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

And even more at Kohls, lol.

We got what everyone else got, which was a lump sum of $750 twice a year so 1500 total.

J-
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Our department gives $125 a quarter for Detectives regardless of whether you wear a suit or jeans. It doesn't go very far but I guess its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm getting hosed apparently.  My department gives nothing.  I can get tac pants and polos instead of uniforms during our annual uniform replacement so I guess I I get about $100.00 annually that way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Dammm

We get about $630 twice a year
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmm, we get $0 a year and we make it work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Everyone (uniform, Detective, plainclothes, etc.) gets $1000 every December for uniform/clothing allowance.
View Quote

Don't forget tax-time...

Haircuts

Shoe-shine, (go get yer shine-box!)

New pinky-ring / monthly cleaning of existing pinky ring

Christmas gifts for wife and no more than two girlfriends and a total of 7 children.

Hair color / mustache wax / Brill Cream

Shoe lifts (for you eye-talian fellers)

(I think those new kids do some kinda body wax shit, and wear hatchet body spray??)  I personally would never admit this... even to the IRS.

Paying the "gun guy" a six pack of craft beer for cleaning the pistola after qualification... ($15.00 minimum)

What did I forget Ex ??
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What did I forget Ex ??
View Quote

The shitty chart they have to work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm trying to get our depts clothing allotment raised.  Currently our detectives are expected to wear shirt/tie, slacks and blazer.  We are given $23 per 2 week pay period to accomplish this.

What are your bureaus requirements and if you get and allotment or stipend what is it?
View Quote

You get more than we do ($500 / year)
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#22]
We only get $350 a year as a reimbursement...... I'm getting ripped off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#23]
fairfux county,va detectives gets $750.00 a year added onto your regular paycheck (taxed) everybody gets $400.00 a year added to your paycheck (taxed) for boots. It hasn't been raised in over 20 years.  Detective is a pay cut with no night differential, you can't work holidays, no court O/T. On call compensation sucks, you get a take home ride though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm getting hosed apparently.  My department gives nothing.  I can get tac pants and polos instead of uniforms during our annual uniform replacement so I guess I I get about $100.00 annually that way.
View Quote

Same here.  I spent well over $1000 on pants, shirts, blazers, and ties last year.  That stuff wears out quick when you wear it daily....especially ties.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Be happy you get anything.

Us Feds get nothing. If you are uniformed LEO, you get it issued, or get an annual spending account to buy them. But not uniformed, you get jack...
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Us Feds get nothing. If you are uniformed LEO, you get it issued, or get an annual spending account to buy them. But not uniformed, you get jack...
View Quote

You get much better pay and a 20 year retirement so I don't feel sorry for you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its only 20 if you are over 50 years old, otherwise its 25. And thats 39% at 25 years or 34% at 20 years. And your pension is based off your salary only, no OT, no night diff, no holiday pay etc. its 39% or 34% of your salary. No way to bump it up in your last few years by working extra OT or anything like that. you get 1% per year extra if you stay past 20 years. So while an NYPD officer can do a life long career and walk out with 80-90% of their highest 3 (with OT, holiday, night diff, sunday pay, hazard pay, special duty pay etc), a fed who got hired at 21yo will walk out with 50% of his base after 36 years. Not exactly "much better" is it?

And "much better" pay??? Maybe in some rural areas in the country, but in the major metro areas the state and local LE have passed us years ago. Several years of no cost of living increase followed by 1% for a few more and our salary is lower than 90% of the large city PD's. PD's around here get a crappy 5 year contract with 2, 2, 3, 3 and 4%....

Compare apples to apples, a Fed Special Agent to a Detective, not a patrol officer. All of a sudden the media hyped "Feds are over paid" myth seems laughable... Look at what a 1st grade detective in NYPD or LAPD makes and compare that to a Special Agent at top pay in the FBI, DEA or ATF makes. Hmmm, all those city jobs pay way more.

Don't believe all the crap you hear. The Fed pension sucks, and unless you have another job lined up when you retire, I don't know anyone that can live off 39% of your current base salary for the decade it takes to collect social security. Oh did I forget to mention we are forced to retire at 57, so even if you wanted to keep working till soc sec age, you cant...

Don't believe everything you read, its not all grass on the other side, some of its just green painted concrete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top