Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2015 12:05:15 PM EDT
Trying to find an online Paramedic to RN program. I already have a Bachelors in Psych, but with a science focus instead of liberal arts, from Texas A&M.

Anyone have any suggestions for a program that will transfer those credits to an RN program, online, and let me get either my BSN and Associates in Nursing?

All I've really found is excelsior, and I prefer an online type class, vs a self paced online course.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm at the very end of the Excelsior ASN program, all my classes have been online except for a few general ed credits from another community college and Sociology which I CLEP'd out of. With your Psych BSN you should have most if not all the prerequisites knocked out and Excelsior is known for transferring most if not all credits from other schools. If you have been working in an ER i'd say you will have a good grasp on what you need to do. PM me if you want to chat about it more...
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm at the very end of the Excelsior ASN program, all my classes have been online except for a few general ed credits from another community college and Sociology which I CLEP'd out of. With your Psych BSN you should have most if not all the prerequisites knocked out and Excelsior is known for transferring most if not all credits from other schools. If you have been working in an ER i'd say you will have a good grasp on what you need to do. PM me if you want to chat about it more...
View Quote

I'm fully confident in being able to do the ER work, I do know that I am going to have a lot of trouble with self paced course work. Let me know how the skills test out goes, that is the only negative mark I've heard from that program.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm truly terrified of the Skills test, that is my only gripe at this point. The nursing modules aren't bad at all. There are 8 of them, each is given as an 8 week course online. There is a discussion post every week (sometimes 2) a Quiz every other week (usually 3 total). Some sort of writing project (AMA format paper, usually 6-10 pages in length) and then a Final Test.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't do it. Nursing sucks.

Run the other way.

It sucks to be in healthcare these days.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't do it. Nursing sucks.

Run the other way.

It sucks to be in healthcare these days.
View Quote

I've been in healthcare for 9 years. It's all I know and its the most consistent work I know.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If I decided to advance myself as a medical professional, it would be as a PA, not an RN. Especially since I already have a degree. I'd have to take or retake some some science courses (the same courses I'd have to retake for a BSN)  but it gets me more responsibility and autonomy as a medical provider and I'd make a HELLUVA lot more money than as a RN.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I decided to advance myself as a medical professional, it would be as a PA, not an RN. Especially since I already have a degree. I'd have to take or retake some some science courses (the same courses I'd have to retake for a BSN)  but it gets me more responsibility and autonomy as a medical provider and I'd make a HELLUVA lot more money than as a RN.
View Quote

That is always a thought. However, having an RN would allow more time and better financing, to study for and pay for CRNA school.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't that take 2 more full time years of PA school?  A friend of mine was headed down that route and changed over to admin. More money and less school he claimed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a school in Kansas that Mrs. Kubota is looking into, unsure of the name and she is at work now not answering texts.

One of her former co-workers went to that school.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There is a school in Kansas that Mrs. Kubota is looking into, unsure of the name and she is at work now not answering texts.

View Quote
Probably Hutchinson Community College. I have several co-workers that have gone there.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:44:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you don't mind my asking, how much will the Excelsior program run you?  How long will it take you?  Do you have to go somewhere for clinicals?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't mind my asking, how much will the Excelsior program run you?  How long will it take you?  Do you have to go somewhere for clinicals?

I took financial aid for about 50 out of the 60 some credits needed for the associates degree, and I took the full amount every time they offered a loan. The money was well spent as my wife and I have moved across the country twice and had 3 kids along the way. Maybe not the smartest to use student loans for that but at least I am a contributing member of society and plan on paying the loans back in full as I have a very good full time job. I am in it for about $30k right now but I believe if you paid cash for some of the pre-requisite classes and maybe did some CLEP type courses you could get well under half that if you were diligent and frugal with sourcing your credits. I have a solid 3 years vested in it as of right now and probably have another 6-8 months left, which most of that will be waiting on a list for the CPNE which is the the last thing to do. The CPNE is a clinical evaluation where you are basically expected to show mastery of patient care and every aspect of what a nurse needs to do in a clinical setting. It is a two day event where you care for 3 patients for 3-4 hours each and you are assigned assessment tasks, care plans, nursing diagnosis/interventions and treatments/documentation. You basically have to ace this to pass. There is a huge pamphlet they give you and about 200 point of care checkoffs that if you miss one or two could ultimately fail you. It's nerve wracking to even think about but it must be done for this program. Oh and it also costs around $2500 just for the CPNE alone... Something to think about. Hit me up if you have any more questions about it...
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wouldn't that take 2 more full time years of PA school?  A friend of mine was headed down that route and changed over to admin. More money and less school he claimed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A RN diploma program is easily 2 years, more for a BSN depending on the initial undergrad degree. Add a MSN program and that's another 2+ years (clinical rotations, fellowships, internships or whatever nurses have to do to be a provider in a specific discipline). A PA program is the same 2+ years as the MSN. The demand for physician extenders is so high (and growing) that I've had two different physician friends tell me they would hire me and repay my tuition if I went to PA school, and evidently its relatively common for that to be a hiring perk to phycician extenders. It seems that becoming a PA is a much quicker route (and less expensive to obtain) for anyone with clinical experi nice that is not already a BSN.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably Hutchinson Community College. I have several co-workers that have gone there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a couple of medics that have gone through that program as well. They seem really satisfied with the experience. I know nothing about tuition or program requirements.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been researching this-I did already find out the offerings are different for different states.  The RN bridge programs include a clinical simulation center "check off" .  They set up a web-ex conference for you and evaluate your existing credits and break the prices out for you.  http://www.achievetestprep.com/medical
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen a lot of stuff about needing a 4-year BSN/RN program and places going away from 2-year licenses.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've seen a lot of stuff about needing a 4-year BSN/RN program and places going away from 2-year licenses.
View Quote

They've been saying that for years.  I wouldn't worry about it, plus it's easy to get a BSN once you already have an ADN.  It's just a few courses and writing some papers.

OP, I know a couple paramedics that became RNs through Excelsior in Albany, NY.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm looking at everything y'all are posting. Thanks for the info everyone.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They've been saying that for years.  I wouldn't worry about it, plus it's easy to get a BSN once you already have an ADN.  It's just a few courses and writing some papers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe my cousin did this as well. Now a manager of an ER.

For the guy talking about going PA, it's state dependent on how much autonomy you will have. Iirc in AZ NP's have more than PA's.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only medics-turned-RN I know who get hired as new grads in the ED were already working in the ED.  There are EDs that hire new grads, but most prefer 2-3 years of acute care or critical care nursing experience regardless of background.  
View Quote

My ED seems to prefer new grads... Don't get me started...
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lately, that's about all they can get in our ED and some of the ICUs.  Kind of scary....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only medics-turned-RN I know who get hired as new grads in the ED were already working in the ED.  There are EDs that hire new grads, but most prefer 2-3 years of acute care or critical care nursing experience regardless of background.  

My ED seems to prefer new grads... Don't get me started...

Lately, that's about all they can get in our ED and some of the ICUs.  Kind of scary....

I know in mine it's partially because they won't hire people into days. The ICU for sure, which keeps 99% of the experienced nurses from transferring to those areas.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I did orientation for a paramedic-RN bridge program yesterday. Looks like it's going to suck.
View Quote

Why so?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's a compressed version of their regular program with all of the same amount of material crammed into a little more than half of the time, with less class time. I've got two full time jobs for at least about another two months, so scheduling is a pain in the ass, and I'm not always the best self-motivator when it comes to studying.

I'm actually pretty lucky compared to a lot of the people in there. I'm one of about three or four people(out of 75) that is local. The rest are dealing with a 1-4 hour commute once a week on top of everything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did orientation for a paramedic-RN bridge program yesterday. Looks like it's going to suck.

Why so?

It's a compressed version of their regular program with all of the same amount of material crammed into a little more than half of the time, with less class time. I've got two full time jobs for at least about another two months, so scheduling is a pain in the ass, and I'm not always the best self-motivator when it comes to studying.

I'm actually pretty lucky compared to a lot of the people in there. I'm one of about three or four people(out of 75) that is local. The rest are dealing with a 1-4 hour commute once a week on top of everything else.

How long you been a paramedic?

How much clinical time is involved in your program?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#29]
That's interesting, I don't recall my cousin having too much clinical time, if any. Clinical a for paramedic were so much more intense. I'll have to ask him.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#30]
From my cousin.

"Excelsior.   When I went through there wasn't any clinicals, just a 2.5 day clinical test"
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
From my cousin.

"Excelsior.   When I went through there wasn't any clinicals, just a 2.5 day clinical test"
View Quote

You might be able to buy the excelsior books on eBay and save a lot of money.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I am thinking of doing your job as I can under IN and Ky regs.  I am sick of the RN but enjoyed working as a paramedic .  You enjoy working with women and fem or gay men.   A sure PC treat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top