Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2015 1:49:08 PM EDT

Not too long ago, I inquired about if Dillon Precision extended their military discount to active law enforcement as well. Yes, I know, their business, their rules, but here's the response I got:

DillonHelp <[email protected]>

Subject:RE: Web Form Contact From:

Priority:Normal Date:Monday, August 24, 2015 5:46 PM Size:20 KB

No disrespect is intended.  The reason we offer a discount to active duty military is because they are paid far less for their service than anyone else.  White your service in law enforcement is sadly as perilous as active duty military nowadays, you are compensated far better than any active duty military personnel are.

Thank you!
Dillon Precision Products, Inc.

Given that my pay and benefits after 20 years as a cop is about equal to the pay and benefits of an E-4, I'm still trying to figure this one out.....

I'm sure I can find other options for my reloading needs. Their business, their rules. My money, my patronage. And maybe that of others who might take umbrage, as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Given that my pay and benefits after 20 years as a cop is about equal to the pay and benefits of an E-4, I'm still trying to figure this one out.....
View Quote

Many departments pay more than yours.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, ex, but many .mil officers make more than you did. If they give the discount to a BG as a blanket .mil discount, then they are kinda failing on that whole "poor underpaid" part. Arguing money is BS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, ex, but many .mil officers make more than you did. If they give the discount to a BG as a blanket .mil discount, then they are kinda failing on that whole "poor underpaid" part. Arguing money is BS.
View Quote

Meh, some companies like .mil more than cops.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Calling all green leg humpers....
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit!

Look at this OP!

Discount Eligibilty Clearing House
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Dillion Precision is in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Scottsdale cops do okay, but aren't rich.  Start at $58K or so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to thank OP, I didn't realize they offered a discount to.mil. I am off to collect my more equal than some discount.

ETA:
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not too long ago, I inquired about if Dillon Precision extended their military discount to active law enforcement as well. Yes, I know, their business, their rules, but here's the response I got:

No disrespect is intended.  The reason we offer a discount to active duty military is because they are paid far less for their service than anyone else.  White your service in law enforcement is sadly as perilous as active duty military nowadays, you are compensated far better than any active duty military personnel are.

Thank you!

I'm sure I can find other options for my reloading needs. Their business, their rules. My money, my patronage. And maybe that of others who might take umbrage, as well.
View Quote

You chose your career poorly...now go back to the FSA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Why do you feel you deserve a discount for your service as a LEO OP?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do you feel he doesnt
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thank you!

View Quote
Sounds like you feel entitled to a discount.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Rofl.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because being a LEO doesn't entitle you to a discount, and his attitude of snubbing a company and disparaging them simply becAuse they don't give him a discount due to his career choice shows that he feels he deserves a discount.

ETA: If as a Law Enforcement Officer you feel you deserve anything of physical value beyond your paycheck, you're in the wrong line of work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because being a LEO doesn't entitle you to a discount, and his attitude of snubbing a company and disparaging them simply becAuse they don't give him a discount due to his career choice shows that he feels he deserves a discount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he feels militarized.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Dillon wants to avoid militarizing the police by not extending a military discount to police.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of how I took it too.

I hate people that get offended when they are refused a discount. When I worked the gun counter cops would pull it all the time even on used guns I don't mind asking but the ones who were upset when told no are just silly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I hate people that get offended when they are refused a discount. When I worked the gun counter cops would pull it all the time even on used guns I don't mind asking but the ones who were upset when told no are just silly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see anything wrong with asking either,hell, I could walk into McDonalds and ask for a discount for people wearing black t-shirts.  Is it liekly to happen?  Nope, but nothing ventured nothing gained.  But asking about it, getting turned down, and then posting a bitch fit online on hamburger15.com to try to throw McDonalds under the bus for being anti-black t-shirt is pretty low IMHO.  As an example.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry T7
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because nobody owes him anything?

FSA gonna FSA
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I was told 13 years ago to never expect anything and always have your wallet out prepared to pay. A gift is a nice gesture but not expected.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I got a little goody bag from a dentist when I had to talk to him on a case.  I've never asked for anything nor do I expect LEO discount.  I don't know why so many people get all up in arms over it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got a little goody bag from a dentist when I had to talk to him on a case.  I've never asked for anything nor do I expect LEO discount.  I don't know why so many people get all up in arms over it.
View Quote

Its driven by a combination of overinflated ego and a need for validation to maintain that ego.

You see it with brand new out of basic training Soldiers, or guys who have signed but not gone into the .mil yet. Haven't done shit and cruise around demanding stuff from people and places.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 2:02:38 AM EDT
[#28]
even though the local dunkin gives us free coffee I still tip the employee a couple bucks everytime. Most of the employees who work nights when I'm working are early twenty, taking classes, or trying to support a kid or their family. It's not right to drive around entitled to free things when everyone I get a discount from is making minimum wage.

I still view a lot of the local discounts as a thank you from the business for having a police presence for a few minutes and a possible deferent if possible criminals see cops rolling through regularly. Getting LEO discounts from online vendors seems greedy IMHO, others may disagree.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like the President of Dillon caught a traffic ticket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow, retired from law Enforcement here and never understood the whole "discount to LEO" bit. Get over it and move along, It is the job you wanted and applied for.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know several 20 year cops making over $100000 per year.  A lot of them were making that at 10 years.  

Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Discounts are nice when they're offered. If everybody stopped offering it would be literally no skin off my back. It's ncie when they do, when they don't I don't care. While we're public servants and all that it kind of defeats the purpose to expect stuff like that IMO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd like to read the entire exchange between you and Dillon. The tone of their email seems a bit rude and they don't seem like that kind of an outfit to be that way without cause.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dillion Precision is in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Scottsdale cops do okay, but aren't rich.  Start at $58K or so.
View Quote

I've been a cop for 9 years, promoted to corporal, and assigned to a violent crimes task force and that's 18k more than I make....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top