Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2015 12:21:33 AM EDT
As far as negotiating tough and standing up for members? And which union?

We use pba and are having our second perc election with iupa trying to take over. PBA has performed awful over the years and many members are fed up. The whole structure is set up to be co-opted by the brass. And legal reps that really don't want to bother with you unless you hire them privately.... i doubt iupa is the magic answer...
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#1]
PBA leadership was horrible when I first got hired in '93. We voted them all out and I must say the guys who took over have done a much better job with contract negotiations, fighting for the membership, etc. They're currently in contract negotiations right now with the city and the state arbitrator. We used to not have the option of going to the state arbitrator (PERB) but it was one of the things the new union leadership fought for and won for us. Hopefully they get a good contract this time around because my last two years on the job before I retired were without a contract so I'll get any retro pay they negotiate.

Brass wer not involved with the PBA at my job. They had their own union as did Sgts, Lts., and Detectives. 5 separate unions for the different ranks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
retired at 54 better Benny's than the comps . not a cop IBEW 66 32 years
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, can you join the SSPBA? Bama speaks highly of them and what they offer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I can quit our union and join something else....PLEA...FOP....no real benny other than the satisfaction to say FU...and maybe save a $5 spot every couple weeks...
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PBA leadership was horrible when I first got hired in '93. We voted them all out and I must say the guys who took over have done a much better job with contract negotiations, fighting for the membership, etc. They're currently in contract negotiations right now with the city and the state arbitrator. We used to not have the option of going to the state arbitrator (PERB) but it was one of the things the new union leadership fought for and won for us. Hopefully they get a good contract this time around because my last two years on the job before I retired were without a contract so I'll get any retro pay they negotiate.

Brass wer not involved with the PBA at my job. They had their own union as did Sgts, Lts., and Detectives. 5 separate unions for the different ranks.
View Quote

Matarazzo RAN from the 34, and was almost shot in the parking lot... The midnight guys were a "unique" crew...
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Matarazzo RAN from the 34, and was almost shot in the parking lot... The midnight guys were a "unique" crew...
View Quote

He was such a fucking scumbag.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#7]
We are our own union. For the most part its OK, they'll work for you as an individual officer when you have issues.
Last administration tried to destroy the union and run roughshod over us.
Some of the past officers of he union were a little too cozy with that administration
The biggest problem for us is the county politicians who see us as a non-essential service and our budget as money that would be better spent on social services
They've kept us from having a contract for 15 years
Finally agreed to one this last month.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#8]
What's a union?  
Per our state laws, LE can't be unionized.  Which leads to me always getting a good laugh when people like to complain and sound off whenever a local cop screws up and they claim he's hiding behind the all mighty union...which doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's a union?  
View Quote

I wouldn't work in LE without one.
Posts here on Arrfcom from cops stating they make $11-15/hr just reinforces it for me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The Chicago lodge#7 of the FOP sucks. They never got anything out of the city of Chicago that the city wasn't will to give. Made a lot of bad calls to take care of the leaders and family of the Lodge #7 FOP. We should have gone with the Teamsters in 1980 when we picked for representation. But at least lodge#7 pays for lawyers if you get jammed up "on the job". Maybe other FOP lodges are better around the country.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Unions (1st responder)  in my state have no arbitration rights so it's sort of mute.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unions (1st responder)  in my state have no arbitration rights so it's sort of mute.
View Quote

Must be some quiet contract talks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's a union?  
Per our state laws, LE can't be unionized.  Which leads to me always getting a good laugh when people like to complain and sound off whenever a local cop screws up and they claim he's hiding behind the all mighty union...which doesn't exist.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
FL's laws aren't particularly favorable to unions and you really have to have full unity of the officers to have any effectiveness. If the city/county really wants to they can make it very rough. There are some strong unions in FL but they are long established and strongly backed. IMO a weak union is counterproductive. Either everyone is all in for the long term or don't bother.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Our local FOP backs us like none other. You can't get fired for pretty much anything short of a felony
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's a union?  
View Quote

Shit. They're a must for LE work around here. Unless you want to make $15 and hour and work the shittiest schedules imaginable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's a union?  
View Quote

Even if you have a Union I have no idea where the public gets this perception about Police Unions, which are usually filled with as many self serving Hacks as the local Govt.

We have no right to strike, consistently lose more and more after each new contract, and have a hard enough time getting help when we need it. Look at this kid in Ferguson MO. after his encounter with the Gentle Giant? WTF did his union do for him?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Teamsters

Not a member...they are terrible.

I was raised in a union home...I know what a union can do for you AND what they can't do for you.

Dad was a chief steward for about 20 years of his 43 years in the job (electrician...IBEW)

Everybody that is a union steward is issued a phone to keep the sheriff apprised of any problems, and have "special" duties.

If we have an issue that is a "union" issue, even before they hear your side of the story, union rep says: "they can do that"

Pieces of shit.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]
My union over my entire career has seemed to be too cozy with the bosses. I want representation that is adversarial when needed and it never has been.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My union over my entire career has seemed to be too cozy with the bosses. I want representation that is adversarial when needed and it never has been.
View Quote

You would love some of my past union delegates. The brass would cringe when we walked in with this one guy as our representation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

My experience as union VP and president has been that if you are overly defensive or adversarial you will be cut out of everything except what you are absolutely entitled to by law/contract.

A more moderate approach (in conjunction with adult management)  lets the union have it's opinions and ideas applied to more facets of the job.

When management gets really goofy you do still have your black and white legal protections to fall back on if need be.

The perception of the union being too cozy does suck, I worry about it a lot. On the other hand though I am at a point where when a new work policy is drafted the Chief asks for my opinion of it before deciding to enact it, not just saying "grieve it if you want".

I'm sure though in much larger departments or in certain workplace climates that kind of relationship can't exist no matter who the players are.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Our union (FOPPO) gets bitch slapped regularly.  I believe our county reps actually look forward to meetings with them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Even if you have a Union I have no idea where the public gets this perception about Police Unions, which are usually filled with as many self serving Hacks as the local Govt.

We have no right to strike, consistently lose more and more after each new contract, and have a hard enough time getting help when we need it. Look at this kid in Ferguson MO. after his encounter with the Gentle Giant? WTF did his union do for him?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a union?  

I have a lot of reservations about unions......but that being said, Darren Wilson was a member of the FOP.  From what I was told by a FOP guy on my department, the FOP has paid out over $200,000 for attorneys for him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What's a union?  
View Quote

Same here.  FOP is a fraternal organization here.  Every time they try to negotiate our contract with the city, the city tells the FOP they can take what they are willing to give us or go fuck ourselves.  Last year the city decided they didn't want to honor the contract that was agreed on two years ago and decided to not pay us our pay raise.  Members told the FOP to sue but they didn't want to rock the boat.  I pay a little over $500 a year in dues for some shitty representation and no respect from the city.

IUPA tried to take over from the FOP about 10 years ago but the members said hell no.  A couple years later they came back & almost got voted in cuz guys were tired of FOP not doing anything for us.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#26]
We Were PBA, Can't really complain about them on the State level,  other than their support for some Dem Politicians, they have fought for us, especially with the current Administration trying to pin the entire State Budget problems on Us... Locally, we had a pretty strong Local, We had had a President who was in the pocket of the local politicians, once we got him out, we were Ok, we made it a point to try to stay realistic in Negotiations, and we made a lot of concessions, including no Overtime for a year to stave off Layoffs.  Discipline-wise, we made sure proceedings were fair, but we also had no problems getting rid of people that were a detriment overall.  We tried to keep things on an Even Keel, and I think we did a pretty good Job
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#27]
No union here.  We don't need one (yet).
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What's a union?  
View Quote

Nationally you are wrong.  There are exceptions...

this is fucking hilarious....the AFL/CIO representing law and order....

somewhere America lost their backbone and felt that someone else has to get ahead for them.  

https://iupa.org/
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No union here.  We don't need one (yet).
View Quote

I thought this way once when I was way younger in my LE caeer. Who represents you when you shoot someone sir. Serious question. For real do you have an attorney on retainer? Your going to need one when the dust settles......even with a good shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top