Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 6:33:47 PM EDT
In movies, there's usually a wall of known bad guys and their connections to each other are annotated by yarn strings tied to tacks.  Is that really how they do it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In movies, there's usually a wall of known bad guys and their connections to each other are annotated by yarn strings tied to tacks.  Is that really how they do it?
View Quote

Sometimes (at least I did on big cases). Sometimes it was the only way to easily explain a case and those involved.

J-
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sometimes (at least I did on big cases). Sometimes it was the only way to easily explain a case and those involved.

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Seen it several times minus the string. Easier on a chalk or white board.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#4]
OP... you would be humored by some of the things detectives do...
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
We have one in our office.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was on the task force, we had a computer program that did it. We had a huge 60"+ screen in the conference room and you could pull up the whole organization, or zoom in on certain things and pull up connections for just some people.... It was pretty high tech CSI type stuff...

Now if we could just get it to do the Tony Stark 3-D hologram thing, that would be really high tech...
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP... you would be humored by some of the things detectives do...
View Quote

This

But, as far as the string and picture thing go, it is great if that is all you have.

However, there are agencies that give away analytical software for free. I use a free one and another one that is provided through a .gov website.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its electronic now.
With our software we can call up people and graphically display associations, involved cases, addresses, you name it
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a detective but we have big boards like that in our roll call room of all the known problems on the precinct.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

With our software we can call up people and graphically display associations, involved cases, addresses, you name it
View Quote
What software does your agency use? (Please email me if you'd prefer.)

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spillman
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

White board with lines drawn is most common these days, IME

To clarify: This is on specific cases, not just random "known associate" type stuff. That's all done with software.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure I've seen ours do that a few times.

Our CAD system is awesome too for the patrol-level guys... I can run your name in house and see any report, mugshot, citation, warning, traffic stop, vehicle crash, FIR, jail record, known associate, or vehicle you've ever been involved with... along with every DL, SSN, phone number, address, nickname, etc. you've ever provided us with, added by any agency in the entire county.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm an Agent with Army CID and we do all kinds of link analysis but it's pretty much all with software now.  Mostly use it for fraud and dope cases.  Most detachments have crim intel assets which will draft the stuff up for us knuckle draggers.  We'll print it out, throw it in the case file then hit the road to talk to people, setup surveillance ect ect.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
PowerPoint slide.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Spillman
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spillman

+1 This.

With Spillman, you can graphically bring up "spider webs" with a central name and other associated names.  You can then see linking cases, vehicles, associates, locations, etc.  it lets you "pull out" and isolate cases and people and see some cool connections.

For cases that are running fast and not even into the system yet, the good old white board is covered in notes, names, links, post its, booking photos, DL photos, etc.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Detectives have computers and smart phones and smart boards now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top