Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2015 12:41:34 PM EDT

Two weeks ago we had a officer killed.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_76/1775451_Shreveport_police_officer_killed_last_night.html

Sine then through my business, we have been raising money to by Trauma Kits, to be donated to Shreveport Police in his memory.
We are local business, raising money locally, so we wanted to keep what was raised, local.
We were not expecting the response we got! It has raised over $2,000 dollars.

I was suggested that we go with the wearable trauma kits.
These were the ones that I was suggested to buy
http://www.rescue-essentials.com/z-medica-btk-belt-trauma-kit-w-combat-gauze-z-fold-le/

So my question is to yall, is there a better option out there for the money?
The more we can buy, the more officers we can get them to.
I had found these from LaRue Tactical http://www.laruetactical.com/tactical-medical-solutions-downed-operator-kit And Mark, is always good to help out on these kinds of things.
Is there better out there for the money?
What would yall recommend?
The more on the street, the more lives that can be saved.
But the wearable kind it what was requested.
Any suggestions, help, advice or incite would be appreciated on this

(We will not be giving these to the city {because government}, but the local union to distribute)
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Those kits are better than nothing, but IMHO if you want to make the best impact and get the best bang for your buck look at a quality tourniquet.  We lost three officer in 28 days a few years ago (2011) and one of the things to come out of the tragedy was that every officer is now issued one.

Combat Action Tourniquet

Bandages and jelly filled gauze are also helpful but stopping or restricting copious blood loss is the first priority.  The one I linked above is simple to use even with one hand.  Just a suggestion.  I'm very sorry to hear about the Officer.  I hope this helps.

God Bless.

ETA:  If you get with the local Fire Departments I sure they could assist in making small kits to go with them, gauze, gloves, and a bandage can all go in a zip lock bag, it doesn't have to look fancy, it just has to work.

I also found this.....

Compact Officer Emergency Response (CORE) Kit
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, we have just started to carry a BTK similar to what you linked to. I went through the TCCC/Post-Engagement Strategies course, which covered first aid for downed LEO, and that was what was issued. It came with a SOF-T wide turniquet, quick clot gauze, pressure dressing, and a pair of latex gloves, in a handy package.

As for which turniquet, I carry one CAT and one SOF-T (issued with the kit). I am a fan of the SOF better, for a few reasons:
1) metal winless feels much sturdier than the plastic of the CAT.
2) Buckle > velcro. While both are similarly easy to render buddy aid with, the SOF was much easier to do self aid. With a GSW to the leg, the SOF let's you unbuckle,place around leg, then rebuckle. The CAT involves feeding velcro through a clip,which in the middle of a firefight/bleeding out, it's not something I want to do.
3)It's the one WE carry.  Familiarity can be key, so whichever you choose, make it uniform.

The one thing that the class skipped on was the location of the pouch. We are only rewired to carry the TQ, not the whole pouch (some of our cops push back against stuff for stupid reasons). That said, it would be smart to have everyone keep it in the same, or similar, local.  Myself and my partner both wear them on the strong side of the bucks of our belts. Considering these kits are for the wearer (I get shot, he's using the stuff off my belt, not his), it's smart to keep everyone in the same place. I'd hate to have to fish around for your TQ if you are bleeding out.  BDU pocket?  Vest? Patrol bag?  Trunk? When seconds count, having that pouch right up front can and will be a lifesaver.  

Then, we get into the 1 is none, and "go high or die", but that may be a different conversation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
We have had an officer shot a few years back.  PD had just issued CAT and quick clot to every officer a couple of months prior.  The PD then had a couple of FD medics come into briefings and give every officer a quick course on how to use each and when.  We had a power point and the training CATs for everyone to use during the training.  When the officer was shot the other officers treated prior to FD arrival and did a great job.  Many of the officers told us the training was the main factor in providing aid.  Now PD officers come up to random FD members for a quick refresher lesson whenever, they even stop by stations.  Officers keep the CAT on their vest and quick clot in the side door of the cars.  Many of the IFAC style kits have decomp needles and chest seals.  The chest seals are easy, and useful, but the needles get a little advanced and medics should be there before you need to go that far.

You are on the right path with the kits, CAT and quick clot, you just need a uniform policy and to set up some training.  If you have SWAT medics or medics who have dealt with trauma in FD I'm sure they could help you out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I can tell you from a paramedic's perspective what I would want to have right now if I were shot, or if I were heading to treat someone who was shot.

2 pairs of appropriately sized gloves
1 to 2 CAT tourniquets
1 Roll of Celox gauze
2 Needle Decompression Caths
Some type of occlusive seal, like vaselline gauze (cheap) or a Halo seal (expensive)

Of the pre-packaged kits mentioned above, I would choose the CORE kit. The VOK also comes close, with more items for the same price. I really think you'd get a better deal by purchasing the items separately and vacuum sealing them in a Seal-A-Meal. Celox gauze is probably the most expensive item on that list, so it looks like many of the pre-packaged kits leave that item out.

If money is a serious constraint, CAT tourniquets may be statistically the best deal to purchase and issue. Take them out of that stupid plastic wrapper.  

Needle decompression caths are appropriate for non-medical people to carry and use provided they are given appropriate training. Honestly everything you need to know about this procedure for field use can be taught in about 15 minutes. I like the idea of the VOK's nasopharyngeal airway, but in the absence of airway adjuncts there are other things you can do to keep an airway open.

Any T-shirt or whatever can be expediently used in place of regular absorbent gauze. It definitely is not the most appropriate material to use but they're probably going to get IV antibiotics later anyway. I'm not saying gauze is a bad idea, but you are going to have to consider how bulky this kit can get before the end user decides not to wear it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If you do decide to purchase items separately and build your own kit, you will get the best deals by piggy backing on another agency that has bulk purchasing power, like a hospital or a large EMS agency. Good PR for them means they won't say no, and they may have people who could lend advice on the best and most affordable contents for the kit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
This doctor made some interesting pain reliever/antibiotic kits for a SWAT team he is the medical director for.

I also want to mention that those flimsy, compact CPR shields are a complete joke. On anyone you would want/need a barrier for while giving ventilations, you would want a better barrier. Don't waste your money on those.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
A decent officer down kit for the car/go bag. (I have a TacMed™ Downed Officer Kit and they are great), and one of the below on the duty rig. (From 1110gear)

Most duty rigs are heavy and have too much crap on them. This minimal piece of kit doesn't take up much room (Similar to a can of OC) and is light-weight. A TK + QC strip should be enough to have on you.  If you have cargo pants or anything like that carrying more is an option. Yeah big kits for the belt are nice but its a balance between what you can comfortably carry at all times and what is too much that isn't 100% necessary.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A decent officer down kit for the car/go bag/plate carrier and one of the below on the duty rig. (From 1110gear)

Most duty rigs are heavy and have too much crap on them. This minimal piece of kit doesn't take up much room (Similar to a can of OC) and is light-weight. A TK + QC strip should be enough to have on you.  If you have cargo pants or anything like that carrying more is an option. Yeah big kits for the belt are nice but its a balance between what you can comfortably carry at all times and what is too much that isn't 100% necessary.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1000/765e5/products/717/images/3364/1005CEL_Parts__66377.1421270368.500.659.jpg?c=2
View Quote

This is wise. Our local SO got issued pre-packaged trauma kits to wear, and they are so bulky that none of them actually wear them. They are tossed in the truck somewhere and left behind.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]
NA Rescue

Plenty of options here.  IPOK. Is a good base kit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a pouch on my gun belt from Tactical Medical Solutions.
Inside is two pair of gloves , a  SWAT-T, and one 5x9 surgical dressing.

The Swat-T can be used as a bandage or TQ

The pouch is just smaller then what a AR15 magazine would fit.

Tactical Medical Solutions also makes a Velcro pouch to fit under your uniform shirt that attaches to your vest.
The only reason  I didn't get that one is that I work alone and I would be the only one who knew it was there. If the whole department was issued them
then that would be great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bBrSizNDL3A
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Reach out to the Shreeveport FD, or to one of the local private EMS providers. They may be able to help you get better pricing so you can buy more kits, regardless of what you buy. Also, prepackaged kits usually cost more than when you buy the guts and assemble them yourselves.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Training on this equipment is of the utmost importance, without it, you might as well just be winging a life and death situation.

At minimum, your kits need to include a CAT tourniquet and a hemostatic combat gauze. After that, the sky is the limit.  I recommend the CAT over the SOF-T for self application but do like many of the features of the SOF-T.  I would trust my life to either of them.

As far as wearability is concerned, you can strap a TQ and a combat gauze right to a vest or stow in a pocket.  There are also nice Kydex belt holsters for the TQs.

You may want to check these out as far as wearability is concerned but as others said it's cheaper to put your own together. http://phokusresearch.com/phokus-products/sons-trauma-kit/
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks ICEAGE for turning me onto TacMed

What do you guys think about this one?
https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/ballistic-response-pack/
Is that to much weight?

Or would I be  better off going with the one from the my OP
http://www.rescue-essentials.com/z-medica-btk-belt-trauma-kit-w-combat-gauze-z-fold-le/
This is the one that was recommended but I think better can be had for less money.
Seems like you are getting a heck of a lot less, for  more money.

If I was going to put one together can some link the stuff needed?
I do not know anything about this stuff.

We have raised of $2,000
So if I can do them for $50 or less that means I can donate atleast 40 kits
maybe more.

I am learning as I go here.
But thank yall for the help.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
for your budget, I would just get everyone a CAT Tourniquet an Z fold combat gauze.  Idk your AO but you're likely close to definitive care and will have advanced medical interventions on scene quickly.  Your guys probably won't be getting much past dealing with the hemorrhaging with those two items before more help arrives.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Boundtree.com is a major supplier and you could get part numbers or ideas from their website, but you would want to piggy back onto a larger agency with bulk purchasing power since suppliers often give discounts to their larger accounts.

Quoted:

Thanks ICEAGE for turning me onto TacMed

What do you guys think about this one?
https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/ballistic-response-pack/
Is that to much weight?

Or would I be  better off going with the one from the my OP
This is the one that was recommended but I think better can be had for less money.
Seems like you are getting a heck of a lot less, for  more money.

If I was going to put one together can some link the stuff needed?
I do not know anything about this stuff.

We have raised of $2,000
So if I can do them for $50 or less that means I can donate atleast 40 kits
maybe more.

I am learning as I go here.
But thank yall for the help.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
NA Rescue

Plenty of options here.  IPOK. Is a good base kit.
View Quote

They make good shit, and put on good training to boot. I took their basic first responder class about three weeks before I graduated from the academy and learned a LOT over that weekend.

Personally I keep a tourniquet in my pocket, one in both doors of my patrol car, a blow-out kit in the front seat, one in the trunk attached to my chest rig that is on a tear-away panel for easy removal, and a chest seal/decomp needle in my vest behind the trauma plate.. all of which they teach you to use in the class I took.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If you guys wear bdu style pants throw a tq and some celex z fold gauze in one of the pockets. If not stick a tq to your vest either with duct tape or tuck it under a strap. Before were switched to bdu style uniforms for every day uniforms I wore a tq on my concealable body armor for about 15 years. In the grand scheme of things a tq is the most important piece of first aid equipment for self rescue that you can have.

J-

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#18]

I just wanted to give a update and also thank everyone for the responses.

I am not posting this for praise or anything like that.
But I wanted everyone to know I did what I said I was going to.
And my word & actions were true

Through the money we raised and our donation. And one other donation
Now EVERY Shreveport officer 100% of the officer will be getting a free wearable trauma pack!!!!
There were also enough money to help out some of the other smaller city around & afew are given to our state PD

The city provided training classes for all the officers, and picked up the insurance.

Here are the ones we choose to go with

Pictures from the class I got invited to go to last night.

Me & my mom, being thank by some off the officers

Thanks again for all the great replies as always.
Thank you to  good LEO's out there.
There are still some people in your community that like yall
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top