Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2015 9:26:27 AM EDT
I'm not, nor ever have been in the military or law enforcement but have tremendous respect for both.

My BIL was killed in the line of duty in June.  He was a Air Force veteran and a Police Sgt in a small town here in Texas.

One of the things that he and his wife were into were tattoos.  Not the full body/sleeve type stuff but just a few that meant something to them.

I've never been much for them but on this one occasion I am wanting to get something to remember him by.  So I've been looking at online photos of tattoos with badge themes like the one's below.

Mainly the badge with the blue line and his info on it.

My questions are:

1.  Is it appropriate for a family member who is not in law enforcement to get one with a badge on it?  I don't want to have people come ask me are you a cop because I have a tattoo like that and have to sheepishly say "no" and have them think I'm a wannabe.

2.  Any ideas on what would be appropriate in my situation that I could do and always be a reminder of his sacrifice?

We already have plenty of items/photos/etc. as reminders.  I just want something more permanent that will always remind of what he stood for.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't recommend a tattoo of a badge for anyone, cop or not. YMMV
How about a portrait or St. Michael?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Get what you want to honor your BIL... it's no ones business how you choose to remember him and his sacrifice. If someone thinks ill of it, fuck them, that's their problem.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Curious about your reasoning.

I'm not real keen on a portrait or a St. Michael.  Not really my thing.  Just looking for something to remember him by that honors his service as well without looking like a wannabe.  Was even thinking of just his initials and the EOW Date.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I say get it.
The ones that can know what it means just by looking at will appreciate the support.

Like above, if it offends someone, fuck em.

"Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right."
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a fan of advertising anything having to do with LE.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 3:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a fan of the badge idea, just my opinion.

What about something similar to the lion statue at the National Law Enforcement Memorial, with a quote, like at the memorial, "In Valor There Is Hope" and then his badge number or name and EOW?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  No TBL stickers or tats of badges.  You're swimming and someone might see it and next thing is you eating a pool chair with your face, because fuck the police.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome responses.

I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.

It would be only at pools, lake, etc that it will be visible.

I understand the no advertising aspect of it which is why I wanted some opinions.

It's going to be a while before I make a decision as I do not want to regret what I get since it's permanent.  I'll post some more ideas as I think of them for your responses.

Keep em coming.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  No TBL stickers or tats of badges.  You're swimming and someone might see it and next thing is you eating a pool chair with your face, because fuck the police.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I won't delve into what kind of visible tattoo or tattoos that I do or do not have visible while at the pool, I will say that this has never ever been a problem. Of course I usually swim at nice pools with nice people and not in the hood with gang bangers. Also you have an active imagination if you think somebodies going to throw a pool chair at you just because of the ink on your skin. Also, if they get away with it, its your fault for being totally asleep at the wheel in a public place with your family. Finally, I do somewhat agree that you shouldn't have a badge on you if you aren't willing to back it up 24/7.
Even if I'm not wearing one at the pool off duty, I'm still a cop who will stop you from raping a chick, drowning your wife, etc. If you're not willing to stand up and do cop stuff then you probably shouldn't have a cop badge on. But yeah from a "someone might not like the badge and hurt me perspective" I'll just say "go ahead and try it"
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I don't live or hang out in the hood, and have only had one very minor off duty encounter when I had to intervene and ID myself.  That said, off duty incidents have happened and off duty LE that have been identified by shitbirds, attacked or even killed.  I agree with keeping your head up, but let's be honest, no one can be on constant alert.  And why paint an additional target on your back, almost literally?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Did your BIL have any LE related tattoos?  If not there was probably a reason............
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Instead of a tattoo make an annual donation to the Texas Peace Officer's Memorial Foundation.  The foundation benefits surviving family members in a variety of ways.

Texas Peace Officer's Memorial Foundation
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're not wanting a badge tat, here is another option with his EOW date.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This... Unfortunately, it is a sign of the times.  Years ago, when I was a civilian employee waiting to go to the academy, I wore a department Baker to Vegas t-shirt.  Some semi-transient dude out of nowhere tried to start a fight with me out of the blue citing my B2V shirt and calling me a pig.  Not worth the possibility of problems to you or your family.

JMHO
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Not tattoo related, but I want to say your BIL served in the USAF with one of my shift partners and his wife. They had nothing but great things to say about him and were devasted when he was killed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have any tattoo's. With that said if you are thinking about getting one to honor him, and this is only a suggestion, have his badge # incorporated into the design.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you're not wanting a badge tat, here is another option with his EOW date.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mototard/media/1ABF3BD5-CF03-46C8-8825-421F1DF69711_zpssqbxsinz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/mototard/1ABF3BD5-CF03-46C8-8825-421F1DF69711_zpssqbxsinz.jpg</a>
View Quote

That would look good if done by a top black and gray artist.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing to say that hasn't already been said.  So I'll just add my condolences to your family on your loss.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I also would not recommend a badge tattoo for all the reasons stated. That being said,it's totally up to you how you want to honor your BIL. If you get a badge with his name on it, EOW date, and a black band, I don't think that makes you look like a wannabe. If anyone asks about it all you'd have to say is "It's in honor of my BIL who died in the line of duty".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top