Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2015 8:24:24 PM EDT
fixing to get some quotes on a substantial amount of patrol rifles for my dept.

looking for some inputs on brand and configurations---any feedback/inputs are appreciated.

heard the S&W AR15 Sport with Aimpoint Pro would be a decent and less expensive option.  Need a decent 2 point sling set-up and a rifle case to go with 'em.

have a slew of TLR-1 lights to mount on them.  wanting to keep them simple yet fully functional with an emphasis on reliability

TIA
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link

With a basic two point sling, Aimpoint Pro, a light and 5.11 case.

Works fine.  Good accuracy.  Mine has held zero getting hauled around and bounced around.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
While the Sport is a fine entry level modern sporting rifle I wouldn't pick one for a patrol rifle. Frankly right now the prices are low enough on a Colt 6920 there isn't much reason to go with anything else. Unless it's to go with a 6933 (light 11.5" barrel version), which I think is the best choice though some depts may be hesitant to go NFA/SBR.

The Aimpoint PRO is a good choice for the optic. Mount the TLR-1 on the FSB. I've used both a single point and two point sling and I'm torn on which is best for patrol use. The single point is a bit simpler and seems to hang up in belt gear less but bangs knees/shins.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:10:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Our "pool" ar15's are SW MP15's (not the sports, not sure which model though), 16inch barrel, Surefire light and two point sling, iron sights.

Can carry any personally owned AR. Can have any sling you want, irons or NON magnifying optics, and lights.

I carry a Rock River, with a gear sector 2point, surefire light (think its a scout) and irons.

J-
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]

I've upgraded/overhauled the patrol rifle programs at 2 departments and ended up going with Colt both times.  I'm not a Colt fanboy and actually don't even own one personally but they do make a good, reliable rifle.

As a Fed agency we aren't exempt from the 11% FET but you will be.  Even still the Colt price was hard to beat, IIRC $800 and change.

For standard patrol use we went with the semi only, 14.5 inch LE6921.  ATF paperwork was inconsequential.

Out of more than 50 guns, I had one with chipping anodizing and they took it back with no issues.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
My dept has the M&P15's with the same set up beside EoTech XPS's instead of the Aimpoints. They are good rifles but we only have a handful of them for all the officers to take whenever they choose so I figure someone will mess up my BZO and then I'll mess up their BZO when I change it.

We can use our personal rifles if we choose so I use my Sig M400 16" with the TLR-1, EoTech, and one point sling. I'd rather have the same rifle daily that I know no one can mess with. Plus I can do nearly any mods I'd like.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Our agency issues Vietnam era M16's on loan from the gov., with 2 mags, and a 2 point sling.

You can use personal rifles as long as it is .223/5.56 and armorer approves brand.

I have my own, Colt 6920, Amipoint T1, Surefire Light, 2 pt Vikings Tactical Sling.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Current AR

Bushmaster
Started out as a post ban for many years, and  carried it in that configuration
Updated to its current configuration a few years ago

New AR

Colt
Still a work in progress. Didn't have it together in time for spring qual but will be fielding it after fall qual.

Agency rifles at my FT place are even more sparse and nothing you'd get the desire to emulate.

By GD standards both guns are pretty plane jane, and they'd probably consider the first one obsolete.
I don't care.
they're functional.
Both are carried to and from work in an Eagle AR case that's held up well for 15 years for the first gun so I bought the same thing for the second rifle
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#8]
We are issued DPMS.  Never had one problem in 4 years with it but that's because I take care of it.  They bought us Trijicon Reflex IIs but I couldn't stand us.  Don't know why we didn't get Aimpoint Pros.  I ended up building my own mk18 and use an H1 plus an Inforce WMLx.  You could easily get decent rifles, optics, lights, sling, mags for $1,300 per rifle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:32:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Patrol is issued 6933s with eotechs. We have the option of carrying personally  owned guns, but nobody does now that we are getting shorties  for everybody.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#10]
We have a pool.  All colt M4A1's.  Some have eotechs, some acogs, and some carry handle sights.  Some w knights quad rails and some with standard handguards.  No lights unless we have our own.  I have a surefire m951 for when i check one out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#11]
We can carry personally owned rifles-have to be semi auto, 16" barrel, no lightweight triggers, optic can be no greater than 4x, sling, available bipod, and a light.
Our tac teams have 12.5" piston LMT Guardians with surefire suppressors issued to them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#12]
M16A1 with collapsible stock, 10.5" LMT upper TLR-1 HL and Eotech
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Department enacted an Officer Purchase Program 3 years ago.  You could purchase a RRA, CMMG (in state manufacturer), Stag or Colt.  Department buys the gun/optics, you pay them back $25 per paycheck.  

Anyone who really wanted to carry a rifle jumped on that.  Hell, more than a few guys who don't even like rifles bought them because we got them via Dept. discounts and just put them in their lockers.  

Beyond that, we have 15 pool rifles in an A4 config, Colt/CMMG mix mostly with iron sights but a few with ACOG's.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Department enacted an Officer Purchase Program 3 years ago.  You could purchase a RRA, CMMG (in state manufacturer), Stag or Colt.  Department buys the gun/optics, you pay them back $25 per paycheck.  

Anyone who really wanted to carry a rifle jumped on that.  Hell, more than a few guys who don't even like rifles bought them because we got them via Dept. discounts and just put them in their lockers.  
View Quote

Meanwhile I have guys who can't understand someone wanting to spend $200 to chop a barrel to less than 16 inches.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
fixing to get some quotes on a substantial amount of patrol rifles for my dept.

looking for some inputs on brand and configurations---any feedback/inputs are appreciated.

heard the S&W AR15 Sport with Aimpoint Pro would be a decent and less expensive option.  Need a decent 2 point sling set-up and a rifle case to go with 'em.

have a slew of TLR-1 lights to mount on them.  wanting to keep them simple yet fully functional with an emphasis on reliability

TIA
View Quote

Everyone already suggested stuff about the actual rifle. As far as the light goes, I have a tlr-3 on mine, mounted on an MOE SL handguard w/ a mapgul cantilever rail. Setup minus the light was I think $50. I've used blue force, skd, etc on my own rifle, the issued ones at work have whatever bargain bin stuff on them, or at best voodoo. I'll catch some flak, but for patrol rifles I wouldn't worry too much about the slings. As long as they're durable I don't think one needs to be dropping $60 on a sling. Condor and Troy make affordable 2 point slings. As far as cases, for a soft case I have a double rifle condor case that I like quite a bit for the cash, I think the single rifle cases are just as good, a lot of the gun nuts at work bring their toys in condor cases to show em off. I'm sure there are better cases, but once again, for an issue rifle that somebody will beat up as long as it lasts I wouldn't worry about the pretty tacticool flavor of the week stuff.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
We issued Colt 6940.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]
We just finished transitioning from LES M16A1s to Department purchased S&W MP 15 Magpul editions. Mid length gas with the 5R 1x8 barrel and MOE furniture and buis. Optics and lights are personal and we issue USGI slings.

Working on getting everyone an issued RDS, either PRO or EXPS.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
My department issues the Bushmaster Texas M4 with Eotech and a single point sling.

I carry a personally owned 10.5in BCM, magpul stock, Troy rail, Aimpoit PRO, YHM flip sites, magpul M3 sling and Inforce WML
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#19]
LWRC M6A2 with T1 and other goodies

Working on getting the department to let me use a 11.5" Umbrella Corp with T1 and M4-2000
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]
You're buying a tool that could potentially save your life someday. You get what you pay for. I know I wouldn't trust my life with a Bushmaster again. Never used a Smith but I'm not too impressed with them.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Bushmasters and S&W M&P 15T.  All with Aimpoint CompM3s and streamlight TLR-1

We did away with scatter guns, made those all less lethal with eotechs in dual rifle/shotgun mounts next to driver seat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're buying a tool that could potentially save your life someday. You get what you pay for. I know I wouldn't trust my life with a Bushmaster again. Never used a Smith but I'm not too impressed with them.  Just my .02.
View Quote

Welcome to my world.

I had a Stag that I put together myself with an Aimpoint, Surefire light, and BFG sling. Works great, the only issues I've had with it were two fucked up aluminum magazines failing to feed properly. Otherwise, 4000+ trouble free rounds including some time at a MG shoot attached to an RR lower doing several mag dumps in a row.

Got to work one day and was told to put it back in my truck and got issued a bone-stock Bushmaster with a clip-on (literally, plastic HK-style hooks) CAA sling, two magazines, and 30 rounds of ammo.

At least I still have my 870 as well...
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Luckily I get use my own. DD MK18 upper, SSA trigger, Elcan, Aimpoint T1 off set, Surefire socom RC, Streamlight TRL HL, IR laser

Yes its heavy but after alot of play I found its what works best for me and my needs.

Also have 10.5 with a Streamlight and Aimpoint Pro I throw on my back for some K9 calls

Patrol units have standard Colt 16 Inch w/ built in surefire lights and irons

Swat rifles are 16 inch Colt Select Fire w/ RMR Acogs
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's your issue with Bushmaster, out of curiosity. I'm replacing mine with a Colt soon but I've carried the Bushmaster for many years without an issue
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What's your issue with Bushmaster, out of curiosity. I'm replacing mine with a Colt soon but I've carried the Bushmaster for many years without an issue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My previous rifle was a Bushmaster W/ an aimpoint pro. Carried it for 3 years. Maybe put around 8-10k rounds through it. It was an older rifle that was issued to 2 people prior to me. Prob. had around 25-30k rounds through it total. Unsure of total malf.during its lifetime but it was flawless for me. Typical soft case in the trunk of the car. Aimpoint pro held zero, rifle never had a single malfunction. And it was pretty accurate too for that matter.

TBH I don't even know what brand my current issue is. Typical 14.5 M4 barrel with a 1.5" FH (probably pinned), surefire light, Aimpoint pro, rear flip sight, single point sling, etc.  I think the guy who had this one prior to me upgraded the internals and prob. did a bit of custom work to it as it has a few higher end parts on it that I know he added.

Honestly as long as its reliable and holds zero I don't stress the small things. I know a lot of people like dumping a lot of money into their AR's but if I have to use it, it'll sit in an evidence locker for a few years anyways. (Some departments let you keep your stuff after a shooting, mine doesn't until everything is clear in criminal and civil court).  

Quoted:
Luckily I get use my own. DD MK18 upper, SSA trigger, Elcan, Aimpoint T1 off set, Surefire socom RC, Streamlight TRL HL, IR laser

Yes its heavy but after alot of play I found its what works best for me and my needs.

Also have 10.5 with a Streamlight and Aimpoint Pro I throw on my back for some K9 calls

Weight man weight. Two things I've learned over the years are 1. You can't always predict how long you'll be in place with a rifle + plate carrier. And 2. You can't always predict how long you'll have to be at ready gun or with your rifle on target, sometimes freehand.

You have to hold a rifle on someone for an extended period of time, say 10-20 minutes, and your going to be screwed if that's a heavy/front end heavy rifle.  Lets just say your negotiating with someone who's armed but isn't presenting enough of a threat to shoot at the time... If you gotta keep a gun trained on him an you have a bunch of unnecessary crap on the rifle and you don't have any time to rest... Gonna be a painful experience + your effectiveness on the gun is drastically reduced with time as fatigue sets in.

I'm all about a light weight well balanced setup. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a rig like that until its time to actually use it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Department Rifles: Colt 6520
Aimpoint Comp M3 (mounted on carry handle)
Surefire M500 dedicated forend
Cheap web sling
Buttstock magazine pouch

Personally-owned Rifle: Colt 6920 MP
Aimpoint H-1 Micro in Larue LT660 mount
Surefire Fury Defender in IWC Mount-n-Slot SWC mount
BFG VCAS sling
Coupled magazines (required by policy)

In hindsight, I wish I would have went with the Colt 6720 with the same configuration albeit an Aimpoint PRO.  Everything I need, meets policy, and doesn't break the bank.  Now our policy has opened the door for other manufacturers/models including SBRs, so I will likely end up going to a Colt 6933.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#27]
1033 M-16A1. In spite of all the tacticool crap out there I have no real problems with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Just to be different:

Tikka T3 stainless/synthetic,  20" bbl, Firesights, 2-point sling in .30-06 (180gr bonded). I pussed out and out a Decelerator butt pad on mine.

Probably not a good idea for urban patrol but not bad for a Park Ranger.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you have the Elcan, why do you need the T1?  Just flip it to 1x.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Our department lets you carry anything you want.  But you have to qualify with irons. Rifle has to have a sling.   Then you can add whatever glass you want.  You have to pass a 40 hour class. In order to get into the class, you have to score a 95 on pistol qualification.  The department provides the ammo for the class.  I'm not sure about duty ammo for it.  I think the round count for the rifle class is somewhere around 2 to 3 k and the classes are small, maybe 10 to 14 people, per class. I have a Daniel defense v 1 and v 5, and would love to take the class.  They  haven't gotten to the point of running the retired guys through it.  Yet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I had to put together 5 department rifles for duty use about 3 years ago. Had to get everything in one shot and was given $12,000.

I ended up getting 5 Colt 6920's with the magpul BUIS and furniture already installed. About $825 each or $4125. (only went with Colt due to price and it was on the approved list already)

5 Aimpoint PROS About $350 each or $1750

5 TLR1 Lights. About $100 each or $500

Spare parts, slings, cleaning supplies, extra batteries for sights and lights, about $1000

1 case of gen 2 30rd Pmags, and 10 20rd mags, about $1000.

8 1000rd cases of 62gr m855 for training/target/ oh crap we ran out of the good stuff, about $2000.

5 500rd cases of 62gr Gold Dot about $1500.

This is for guys that don't own their own rifle and have not interest in guns, they just want to qual and be able to use it.

A few of our guys carry their own rifles Mine was:

Colt 6940, magpul stocks, Aimpoint M4S with the 3X behind it (both on larue mounts), Surfire x300, and a Gem-tech G5 on the business end.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Issued Colt LE6920 with Magpul Rear BUS. Aimpoint pro and a Inforce WML light. Nothing special.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top