Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 4:37:55 AM EDT
A very important poll.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#1]
It is important.

When I was a rookie, I ran it under my left arm and hung it on my epaulet. I thought that looked the best, because it reminded me of a citation cord. It kept pulling the left side of my collar down, however, so I switched to across the back, through the right epaulet, and clipped onto shirt (which I noticed was more popular with experienced officers). I had a stitch added to my right epaulet so the mic will not fit through it. That way, even if it comes off my shirt during a foot pursuit, it's retained by the epaulet, and I can still grab it and transmit quickly. I prefer the mic centered as well; it helps me keep better situational awareness.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
IF I wear one, it's across the back through the epaulet.  

I have been told by some that it's a good way to get choked out...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Under my left armpit, clipped on my shirt between the zipper and button. I like this best.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have been told by some that it's a good way to get choked out...
View Quote
This was brought up frequently in academy, and when I first hit the street, but the conclusion was that it takes a lot longer to choke a cop with his/her own collar mic (or anything else) than it takes for said cop to shoot, stab, gouge out an eye, or otherwise more immediately incapacitate their attacker.

As with the more frequently raised (and valid) issue of weapon retention, I tend to show much more concern about greater threats, like when suspects actually have real weapons they brought with them. We train on weapon retention every year, and it's pretty much the same as any ground fight, except with clearly-defined goals. We also tried the "choke using collar mic" method, and it never worked out too well for the aggressor. The quick-thinking always turn that scenario into a "hold my neck and watch this" kind of response.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I wear mine under the arm pit. But then again I wear an outer carrier so I tuck it underneath.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Tried it, didn't like it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I switch between over the shoulder and under the arm depending on how I am feeling that day, how the moons are aligned, and more importantly, who my partner is that day.

I like under the arm better simple because I am lazy and I only wear the thing for a handful of hours a month
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Under the arm, but I clip on in the center of my shirt where the collar meets.  I hated having it clipped to an epaulet, feeling like I had to turn my head to talk or having to only use one hand to key the mike.  
In the center, I can keep my eyes on bad guy, use either hand (rarely my gun hand, I know), and I can key it up if need be with my chin.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I have my radio on my left hip, cord under my external vest carrier, up over my left shoulder,out through the neck opening and clipped near the top center of my carrier. In the past, ran the cord on the outside, but got tired of it getting grabbed or getting caught on things when I was chasing people.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They gave you guys radios?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is attached to my external vest carrier near my left armpit which in turn goes up to my mic strap which is attached to my left ephilate
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Under my left armpit, clipped on my shirt between the zipper and button. I like this best.
View Quote

This, for going on 31 years now. Works great and easily accessible with either hand and doesn't provoke the traditional turning of the head to speak into the mic as when it's hanging from an epaulette.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear my radio on my left with the cord going behind my back diagonally over my right shoulder. I wear a Tactial Mike Keeper hooked to a shirt button, with the mike clipped to it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Other: radio worn on left side, mic clipped on left shoulder. None of that across the back crap
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out the Mic Loop.

http://themicloop.com/
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Under left armit and centered on my shirt above my breast bone.   Easy to grab from both sides and doesnt interfere with head movement.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Several of my guys don't even have hand mics.  Most don't wear their ear pieces.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
All my radio is on my left side, Mic hangs on mic strap on vest near top of shoulder.

Over the back with a big coil bothers me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Check out the Mic Loop.

http://themicloop.com/
View Quote

I saw this product and made my own. Works "okay" but gets in the way of seatbelt and BWC.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea Saber I's withe the antenna on the mic

I run a Leather Radio strap but dont think it will work for you PD guys

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm thinking about trying the over-the-shoulder method now that I have a polo to wear. Don't have anywhere else to hang my mic since we also have body cams. There is a small loop on the front of the shirt, just below the button, that I can hang my camera on... but now I'll need somewhere to hang the mic.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about trying the over-the-shoulder method now that I have a polo to wear. Don't have anywhere else to hang my mic since we also have body cams. There is a small loop on the front of the shirt, just below the button, that I can hang my camera on... but now I'll need somewhere to hang the mic.
View Quote

Clipped between the buttons?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#24]
There's only one button, not sure the mic will have enough room to go that way along with one of the body cams (we have L3 cameras and the Taser ones as well, you may get a different one each day) as they are different sizes.

I'll play around with the placement when I get to work Monday night and see what I can come up with. Put all my stuff on with the different uniforms and made sure I can still reach my pouches, radio body, mic, etc. with ease, and ran the mic cord from my left hip up and around my right shoulder, down to the center of my chest.

If I keep doing it that way, a Mic Loop should be all I need to keep it 100% secure vs. the left hip, under the armpit and up to the center of my chest route I'm using now. Lost my whole god damn radio (came out of the pouch) in a foot chase about a month or two ago and had to double back for it, but my mic is always the first thing to go whenever I do anything faster than stand up it seems. Our class B shirts are the zip-up version with faux buttons. I might need to reinforce them before I hang anything off one of 'em. I've been dealing with that aggravation for two years and never did anything about it but I think now is the time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Silly cops....

This is how you wear a radio!

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I wore my around the back and on my chest.  Several reasons:

1:  Having it on my chest means my hands are front and center if I'm talking on the radio and something happens
2:  My head is straight and my eyes are looking forward while I'm talking, not turned to the side
3:  no slack in the cord for someone to wrap around my neck and it's away from my neck/shoulders/head

It should be noted that I'm left handed so the mic pulls into the clip instead of away from it...It may pull off if you wear it like that right handed...
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't wear a shoulder mic.  My first day on the job my Cpl said shoulder mics are a great way to get choked out.  Plus if I have to go hands on, its just one more thing that the turd can grab onto.  Only time I ever use one is if all the portables not equipped with one are signed out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top