Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 8:18:09 PM EDT
Starting backgrounds for Immigration Enforcement Agent, currently a Fed 0083. I know the basics of the job but would love insight from someone in the know of what a typical work week, etc, may look like?

I know IEA's assist in investigation, detention, and transportation, but are those typically separate billets you get assigned to or does each individual agent see that process through from start to finish?

Also, announcement says >50% travel. I know that agents CAN and DO travel up to and including outside the US, but what kind distance from duty location could your average agent routinely expect?

I know some questions may be too subjective to answer with any real accuracy, but any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure...

I am a supervisory 1801 who has sat on several hiring panels and in the past assisted with HR duties at a city police department and a private corporation.

You are welcome to IM me, but I am going on vacation in a matter of hours and probably won't be back on here until the middle of next week.

As of about a week ago, an email came out saying that IEAs are being converted to DOs, and all future announcements will be for DOs. So expect that career track to be discussed.

Every office is different these days, and "changing of the guard" (ie a new SDDO, AFOD, DFOD, etc.) can change your mission and drastically change the work environment.

The agency is going through some reorganizations right now, even within ERO, and I would not be the least bit surprised if some major changes are in place by FY16. My higher-ups all smile and say the changes coming are all nice and peachy, however I take that with a grain of salt. Be warned...I really don't know what is coming.

Anyhow...

I traveled a ton when I was new, it was a great experience, and I never had a problem. The support staff I worked with were top notch and nothing fell through the cracks, and I was reimbursed for my travel card very quickly.

Then it was time to wear the SDDO hat. Almost zero travel, endless meetings, rehashing the same conversations about revisions of SOPs, interpretation of policy, arguing with internal counsel, employee issues (morale, reasonable accommodations, long term FMLA, filling open slots....etc etc etc.).

I have to admit, and I can say this with certainty after having a lengthy conversation with my doctor today, my mental and physical health fluctuates with my work environment. That usually depends on the AFOD or FOD. I have had good, I have had horrible, and in between.

I am tired but I guess my main point is that no office is "typical", there is no norm out there. For instance, some people love to just handle CAP and be left alone, while others consider it torture. Some people volunteer for TDY constantly, while some will never take it and complain about people from the office getting to leave.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I know a bunch of IEAs.

There are something like 375 Federal Agencies.  Morale at ICE usually comes in at around number 355 on the list when they do the annual survey (meaning nearly the worst).

Could be worse, you could working for CBP at a POE.

IEAs finally "got their 12s" so they can stop bitching about that.  Honestly they were over-paid as GS-9s, from a market value, cost of replacement, perspective.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply's.

D6T, I sent you a PM.

FightingHellfish, I've heard those numbers before as far as morale, seems odd though I always thought ICE was a pretty desirable agency.  As far as the IEA's you know, what does it seem like their typical duties are and do they seem pretty satisfied with their jobs?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
When local agencies arrest people, there are IEAs present in the jail who screen for immigration status.  When they finish their local time, the jail releases them to ICE.  ICE also gets all the illegals from other jails, local agencies that find drop houses. etc.

The IEAs mostly process the paperwork to either reinstate their old deportations or release the with a court date or send them to the ICE Detention Center to wait to see the judge.

ICE contractors do the transport.

It's mostly a paperwork job.

Supposedly the ERO in Phoenix is super busy, 24  7.  Other places are quiet.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My neighbor is ICE..I don't know how he has not shot himself yet. He hates his job and rightly so. He works at a large sea port, in S Fla heat, in containers, searching for stuff.  He hates it and wants to quit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My neighbor is ICE..I don't know how he has not shot himself yet. He hates his job and rightly so. He works at a large sea port, in S Fla heat, in containers, searching for stuff.  He hates it and wants to quit.
View Quote

He is not ICE, but CBP.
He should voluntary transfer to a different port, theres lots of people that want to go to FL.

I hear ICE/ IEAs are being converted to DO's, and getting GS-12s.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I'm going to pass...

Sounds like unless you're on a task force, your chances of doing any actual law enforcement work are slim to none. Seems like a great gig pay wise, but not worth an 18 week non-transferable academy and relocating to another state.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Information for anyone else who may be going through the process or just interested...

Looks like ICE is changing (or temporarily modifying) the academy from ICE-D to The Basic Immigration Enforcement Training Program (BIETP) as the basic academy for all new ERO Officers. Looks like there's going to be a major push to expedite people who applied to the latest announcement through the hiring process and the academy. I'm not sure what actual changes there will be going from ICE-D to BIETP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I'm going to pass...

Sounds like unless you're on a task force, your chances of doing any actual law enforcement work are slim to none. Seems like a great gig pay wise, but not worth an 18 week non-transferable academy and relocating to another state.
View Quote

If you want a Fed LEO career, then get your fed time started, then jump to another agency later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top