Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2015 10:24:35 AM EDT
Hey guys I'm a recently appointed reserve office for a local municipality. I am looking to purchase my Taser. The guys at my department carry the X26p, the SO carries the X26. The LEO Taser supplier for my state can get the 26p 3 cartridges, holster, etc for about $1,100.00. You can buy refurbed X26's online from www.accreditedsecurity.net for $600 1 cartridge and a holster. I can get the X26c from a local shop for $800 with 6 cartridges.

My question is do any of you have any experience buying a refurbed Taser? It's my understanding Taser does not endorse it. Do any of you have any experience with the Civilian version the 26c? It's my understanding the only difference is the 30 second ride (which can be cut short by engaging the safety) and the confetti in the cartridges. The new 26p is not that much more, just trying to decide if it's worth it.

Opinions or other options?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with a brand new x26.

Keeping in mind civil liability, which is attached to use of force incidents, it would be better to use a factory new unit as opposed to an unknown quality used unit.

Don't put yourself or someone else in the position of having to employ deadly force because the bargain basement used x26 did not perform as expected. Not very likely to happen, or is it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Buying your own Taser, no thanks.  I'd look to reserve somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What else do you have to buy?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe they are discontinuing parts and support for the X26 series and rolling out their updated version the X26P.  Your real LE application choices are that or the X2 which is a multi shot unit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe they are discontinuing parts and support for the X26 series and rolling out their updated version the X26P.  Your real LE application choices are that or the X2 which is a multi shot unit.
View Quote

This (has actually been in the works for over a year). Might get kinda shaky getting parts/service. We went to X2's 2 years ago.

Also if I a not mistaken, Taser has gone to a direct marketing scheme and there are no more "distributors" so OP you may want to confirm what you are being told price and availability wise with Taser.

J-
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I had to buy badge and all duty gear (gun, belt, cuffs, baton, etc.) They provided uniforms.

I'll confirm the Taser cost with my department. The way I understand it is Arkansas LE agencies do not buy direct from Taser. We go through a company in Louisiana called Teco Safety. They have the sole distributorship for AR and LA. There are states listed on Tasers website that can buy direct from Taser but Arkansas is not listed there.

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning on getting the new 26p anyway, this has helped confirm the decision.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Is the damn thing mandated equipment?  Just carry a straight baton.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I'd be carrying OC and baton and thats it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taser is not mandated, I just want one....I carry OC and baton too. OC is for dogs, baton is for??? Peroneal strikes?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[...OC is for dogs.....
View Quote

You are doing it wrong. You'll never get your merit badge this way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had to buy badge and all duty gear (gun, belt, cuffs, baton, etc.) They provided uniforms.

I'll confirm the Taser cost with my department. The way I understand it is Arkansas LE agencies do not buy direct from Taser. We go through a company in Louisiana called Teco Safety. They have the sole distributorship for AR and LA. There are states listed on Tasers website that can buy direct from Taser but Arkansas is not listed there.

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning on getting the new 26p anyway, this has helped confirm the decision.
View Quote

Thats the way every state used to be. Just check because we no longer have a Michigan distributor to buy from and have to buy direct from Taser. The Michigan distributor is a friend of mine and he advised that Taser was going direct marketing EVERYWHERE when it comes to LE agencies.

J-
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#13]
We are transitioning from the X26 to the X26p by attrition. I would avoid the X26 and the X26C for la k of support.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Get the X26P, its an upgrade and more robust. X26 is being phased out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#15]
In my opinion it sounds like your shelling out a lot of money for something that may or may not work, I say this, because I work for a LARGE agency and have seen these deployed many times being a miss of the target! And that is with yearly training shooting the training cartridges, and during training its amazing how many people miss with these. Awesome when the officer does his part and gets a hit, but like others stated if it was me, I would get some good martial arts training with that money. And when it does miss you still need to go hands on.

I will admit I am on the fence about Tasers!

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:42:21 AM EDT
[#16]
What is your UOF policy look like on Taser.  Without getting into too much of this on an open forum, consider how often you might use your taser with what it offers you.  I would also encourage you to be very confident in your hard empty hand, also be very good with your verbal judo.   I'm not saying don't buy a taser, but I am saying it is the least used thing on the bat belt for many officers next only to their firearm.  

I would also question the use of an X26c for duty use.  I know that would not fly in my state.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#17]
don't spend that kind of money on a x26, they have been discontinued. get the x26p or x2, they are superior CEWs and taser no longer supports the others. The x2 is the best choice but make sure there is an instructor near by or you will have a hard time getting certified. Don't buy used for that much, I have seen used ones go on gunbroker for 3-4 hundred. ive got a x3 ill give you a good deal on
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replies guys, all good points. I haven't ordered one yet. I'm sure I'll go with the new X26p if I do. I'll review the UOF policy, none of the guys at the department have deployed one to this point.

Is the secure forum as active as this one? If so I need to get access.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top