Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2015 3:59:02 PM EDT
Needing to pick up a extra handcuff key for my guard duty belt since I'll be working armed at a very large trade show in Vegas coming up , and was wondering if you guys can recommend what you guys use, as far as brand and what style, ie the tubular clip onto the shirt style or the one with a larger thumb base that clips onto a key keeper or in the pocket. Also I remember something about that a key will fit the majority of the cuffs out there but I think there might be one or two manufacturer where the regular key won't work due to it not having a long enough latch release portion ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
ZAK tool
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure of the brand, ive had it for about 18 yeasr but I have the one that has the little LED's on it to help cuffin at night.

EDIT: This is the one I have. Its a streamlight. http://www.nalpak.com/Streamlight-CuffMate-w-Batteries?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=SL-63001&gclid=CKmArYSxg8UCFQwFaQodOL8A_g

J-
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Needing to pick up a extra handcuff key for my guard duty belt since I'll be working armed at a very large trade show in Vegas coming up , and was wondering if you guys can recommend what you guys use, as far as brand and what style, ie the tubular clip onto the shirt style or the one with a larger thumb base that clips onto a key keeper or in the pocket. Also I remember something about that a key will fit the majority of the cuffs out there but I think there might be one or two manufacturer where the regular key won't work due to it not having a long enough latch release portion ?
View Quote

Damnit, more ARFCOMMERS join the mix. This is going to be bad ...
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I've probably done more training classes than the average officer on the street but I greatly respect officers for them having to deal with the general public
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Second for the ZAK one. Use it daily.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol I've probably done more training classes than the average officer on the street but I greatly respect officers for them having to deal with the general public
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woah now, I'm just pointing out that makes 3 of us working the show. Also, to keep this somewhat on topic and to not derail this thead further, I also use the illuminated streamlight key
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
www.zaktool.com/handcuffkeys.html#

Which model to be exact ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
lol iit's a handcuff key man, non need to overthink it.

I keep one of those ZT14 in my shirt pocket and a ZT11 on my keys, because every few months I will lose the one from my shirt pocket.  Any key will do fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the ZT14 in my pocket and have no complaints whatsoever
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ZAK tool
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
They make a tool and a key that civvies can buy to remove handcuffs? That's good to know!

The last time I escaped with the cuffs on I went through over 80 of those little Dremel cut-off wheels getting the damned things off. What a pain in the ass. First I cut the little link so I had both hands free then I cut the cuffs off one at a time. I had to stop often because the cuff kept heating up and then dip them in water to cool them off.

I was up until almost 4 AM getting the damned things off!

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm pretty sure any cuff key will undo any common handcuffs.  The only thing I can think of that varies from brand to brand is how to engage the double locking mechanism.  I like the Zak brand
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They make a tool and a key that civvies can buy to remove handcuffs? That's good to know!

The last time I escaped with the cuffs on I went through over 80 of those little Dremel cut-off wheels getting the damned things off. What a pain in the ass. First I cut the little link so I had both hands free then I cut the cuffs off one at a time. I had to stop often because the cuff kept heating up and then dip them in water to cool them off.

I was up until almost 4 AM getting the damned things off!

View Quote

A basic hack saw works very well on handcuffs. Got the last girl out of them in under 15 min! Come to think of it it was an aftermarket key that broke that caused the issue.... OEM only for me!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the ZT15 zaktool keys. You take a standard cuff key and it gets inserted into the front of the zak tool and held with a pin and screw down cap. When the key wears out, you remove the pin, unscrew the cap and replace the key. When I worked in the cell block I would wear out a key in about 2 months. We had boxes of standad keys in the office so replacements were free...
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#16]
i went with a black ZT14, I can wear it on the inside portion of my polo shirt with only the clip part exposed closest to my body armor but still have it nearby if needed in a pinch
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like the ZT15 zaktool keys. You take a standard cuff key and it gets inserted into the front of the zak tool and held with a pin and screw down cap. When the key wears out, you remove the pin, unscrew the cap and replace the key. When I worked in the cell block I would wear out a key in about 2 months. We had boxes of standad keys in the office so replacements were free...
View Quote

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

I use it every day in the county jail
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]

+++ on the Zaktool key.  I also keep one of the little cheap ones in my pocket and one zip tied onto my plate carrier.  I've had 2 keys break on me before.  One was a silver keychain type made by Safariland.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I use this one.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I use the ZAK also.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Had that exact key.   Hated it.   Went to the streamlight and was quite happy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure any cuff key will undo any common handcuffs.  The only thing I can think of that varies from brand to brand is how to engage the double locking mechanism.  I like the Zak brand
View Quote

Some of the peerless are very resistant to the cheaper aftermarket keys,
I have 4 sets of hinged that will only work if the latch engagement portion of the key is exactly square and exactly the right length
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have 4 sets of hinged that will only work if the latch engagement portion of the key is exactly square and exactly the right length
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Cheap keys and cheap cuffs are a no go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Me too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top