Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2015 10:50:42 AM EDT
So a facility near me had a position opened up.

Anyone know anything about what these guys do? All the ones I've spoke to were in good spirit and seemed to enjoy the job.

I enjoy working with veterans and I could see this as a way to also move lateral within the Va

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a friend who used it as a stepping-stone to other federal jobs. Overall he had a good experience and got promoted fairly. Each facility was a bit different, thus was the PD in its mission. Some campuses were a few acres, with patrol of outlaying offices as well, while others are practically their own small towns. Sometimes you spend a shift just rattling doorknobs and checking things over and over, other times there are mental health emergencies when you will be throwing down with a patient and taking a punch or two.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]
They can not and will not go "off campus" to assist other police. It's alot of facility security stuff, walking around, doing checks of doors, sitting in empty parking lots, etc. but I would imagine it's not a bad job, especially if you are looking to use it as a base to get into something else.

Depending on the area there may be crime that spills onto the campus and you do sometimes have to deal with irate or suicidal veterans.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like it would be a job with a lot of Arfcom and netflix time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like it would be a job with a lot of Arfcom and netflix time.
View Quote

Mmmmm
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#8]
buddy of mine is a VA cop.  He is using it as a stepping stone.  The Chief there does not want them to do any proactive police work at all so basically he is a glorified security guard.  That said its good pay and benefits, as long as you don't want to do police work (at least for that campus).
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Since your looking, my agency will be hiring soon, just an FYI

CBP-OFO

After 4 years you make REALLY good money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Anyone know anything about what these guys do? All the ones I've spoke to were in good spirit and seemed to enjoy the job.

I enjoy working with veterans and I could see this as a way to also move lateral within the Va

Thanks
View Quote

I used to be a DoD Police Officer, and I worked with a guy that had come from the VA Police. He viewed the DoD as a big step up, which told me everything I'd ever need to know. I view the DoD gig as easily one of the worst jobs I've ever had.
Don't expect to do "real" police work. Expect to be a glorified security guard, and be ready to fight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I used to be a DoD Police Officer, and I worked with a guy that had come from the VA Police. He viewed the DoD as a big step up, which told me everything I'd ever need to know. I view the DoD gig as easily one of the worst jobs I've ever had.
Don't expect to do "real" police work. Expect to be a glorified security guard, and be ready to fight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Blah

Well i did apply for a TSA explosives investigator position at Charlotte Douglass as well . Even though im one of a handful of army personnel to go to the Navy Electronic Warfare school and Counter RCIED training i doubt ill get it.

Finding work has been shit. CMPD was an option until the recruiter told me my bad knee's might be a problem at the academy
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The VA police at the VA I work near will not move their Tahoe from the middle of an empty parking lot for 2-3 hrs at a time on nights. That is a lot of Netflix and ARFCOM time.

If you are looking for a job and having a hard time I certainly wouldn't turn it down. Use it as a stepping stone to something else.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of jobs back at Bragg

But i was trying to get away from there
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll repeat the reoccurring theme in this thread, and that's that it's a good stepping stone. I hated working for the DoD, but it got my foot in the door. Take the VA gig and use it to get what you want.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have heard at all of the hospitals, although there is a "chief", they actually answer to a doctor (director of that facility), who sets the tone and may or may not be law enforcement oriented.  Not only that, overall it is a VERY security oriented type of position and arrests are highly discouraged at some places.  I think a VA police officer I spoke with referred to the 'arrests being discouraged' management philosophy as "situational law enforcement".  Also you can't even carry your duty gun off-duty, rather can only carry your personal weapon off-duty strictly pursuant to LEOSA, almost like an officer from Missouri on vacation in Colorado carrying (i.e. no LE authority, if you act...you're on your own, etc.).  And their academy does not count for any other federal LE agency (they have their own academy in Little Rock, versus going to FLETC where almost every other uniformed federal LEO attends).  Definitely talk to officers at the particular hospital which has openings, as one facility could be somewhat LE oriented while another could literally be one step up from a security guard.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Glorified security guard. Great for guys that don't want to get involved in actual Police work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:01:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have heard at all of the hospitals, although there is a "chief", they actually answer to a doctor (director of that facility), who sets the tone and may or may not be law enforcement oriented.  Not only that, overall it is a VERY security oriented type of position and arrests are highly discouraged at some places.  I think a VA police officer I spoke with referred to the 'arrests being discouraged' management philosophy as "situational law enforcement".  Also you can't even carry your duty gun off-duty, rather can only carry your personal weapon off-duty strictly pursuant to LEOSA, almost like an officer from Missouri on vacation in Colorado carrying (i.e. no LE authority, if you act...you're on your own, etc.).  And their academy does not count for any other federal LE agency (they have their own academy in Little Rock, versus going to FLETC where almost every other uniformed federal LEO attends).  Definitely talk to officers at the particular hospital which has openings, as one facility could be somewhat LE oriented while another could literally be one step up from a security guard.

View Quote

I heard they get beretta 92Ds

Who the hell would want to carry that on or even off duty
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I took it as a sign they don't want them carrying off duty at all...

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones I've seen here in Indy were carrying Sigs w/ DAK.  They seemed to enjoy their jobs for the most part.  I imagine it can be pretty boring being in a hospital all day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#20]
At mine, West Palm Beach VA...they handle homeless vets, Signal 20's, and transfer patients to other facilities.  They can and do write traffic tix.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:19:26 AM EDT
[#21]
First, I'm not knocking any of the Police Officers working for the VA or any other GS-0083 federal Police Officers.

I did work for the VA as a Police Officer (GS-0083) and was there for only 7 months back in the mid 90s before moving on to a better paying federal LEO position with better benefits (Retirement/Take-Home vehicle).  It's pretty sad, but at this point, VA police officers and many other GS-0083 Police Officers are not C6 covered LEOs, so there is no 20 year retirement plan for them.  Again, IMHO, this is very wrong.  

Also, they tend to hire "Police Officers" at the pay grades of GS-4 thru GS-6 and Sergeants at GS-7... Most of the new hires are picked up at GS-6.

Due to the lack of a 20 year LEO retirement and the low LEO pay, that motivated me to seek out a C6 LEO position.  The good thing about the VA is that there are chances to advance up within the Police Service field up to "Chief" which I believe is a GS-11 position...  "I" could be wrong with the GS grade, but its something like that.

I should note that the VA-OIG Special Agents/Criminal Investigators (GS-1811) are C6 covered officers with full federal LEO benefits, including the 25% Law Enforcement Availability Pay.

The daily job wasn't too demanding, but it had its moments when you are faced with an issue that may require you to make a physical arrest of an individual who doesn't recognize your lawful authority... Often during the arrest, they will tell you to call a "real" cop, but once under arrest and the facts are sinking in, their tune quickly changes.  "I" had more problems with the hospital staff than the veterans and/or their family members.  The doctors and many of the administrators saw themselves as gods within the gates of the VA medical center.  Basically, you are seen more as a security guards than a law enforcement officer by the rest of the staff, until you have to arrest one of them for whatever reason(s)...  Then be prepare for a visit by the union's shop steward about the arrest.

BTW, I worked at one of the medical centers in the New York/ New Jersey area.  With that being said, it was a difficult area to work and most of the officers where actively looking for other LEO positions, local, State and federal.  They had a problem retaining the better officers who often resigned from that position within 6 months to a year for a better paying LEO position.  AGAIN!!  This was the NY/NJ area!!

To my current understanding, the VA administrators, like other non-law enforcement administrators within a non-law enforcement agency are not supporting the ideal of their sworn law enforcement officers carrying firearms off duty...  The thought being "If I can't carry, why should you?"  ANYWAY!!  That has been corrected with the passing of the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act of 2004, which allows you as a sworn and armed LEO, with agency issued I.D., to lawfully carry a concealed firearm off-duty... With some restrictions.  Furthermore, the LEOSA-2004 doesn't grant you any expanded authority outside of your jurisdiction on the VA's property... Basically, the act is for self-defense and I'm pretty sure that the VA administration will make it very clear that you are "legally" on your own while off-duty if you choose to carry off-duty.   I'm not sure, but I "believe" that your issued duty firearm is lock up on VA property after your shift has ended.  If you should decide to carry off-duty, "I" would carry the SAME model, SAME finish and SAME caliber pistol that you carry while on-duty WITHOUT any modifications whatsoever... Just in case you are involved in a shooting, you can point out that you are qualified with the SAME type of firearm for your official duties as a VA police officer.  I'm a retired federal LEO (GS-1811) with over 21 years of service and was issued an I.D. card from my former agency identifying me a retired agent that meets the standard(s) of the LEOSA-2004.  "I" decided to carry the same pistol that I carried as a back-up pistol when I was working, which was recorded by my former agency and with records of my qualifications scores on file...  Just in case!!

I should note that under the LEOSA-2004, it doesn't state anything about the type of handgun that you may or may not carry, but a little common sense must be used... Technically, by the spirit of the law, there is nothing stopping you from carrying an AR or AK pistol, "BUT!!" Why put yourself into a situation that may involve you putting up your own cash to resolve it and/or having your employer looking at you in a less than a professional manner.  There have been some issues in New York City involving LEOSA-2004, but nothing is an issue until it becomes an issue.

IMHO, if you have another choice for a LEO career, I would investigate it... If not, I would take it and learn everything you can, so if you decide to leave, you have something to offer your next employer.

Good luck!!

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:46:45 AM EDT
[#22]
they usually keep thing under control in the va. In my experience they aren't that great. but that's the Baltimore va.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Same here, except I had a few co-workers transfer to VA Police to get away from the place where I worked.  On the bright side, VA Police go to VALETC and can carry under LEOSA, or so I've been told.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top