Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2015 2:46:04 AM EDT
Got another patrol car today...been about 4 years since my last. Started going through my trunk etc and find a County Code Book, Phone Book, County Phone Card, Micro Cassette Recorder, Polaroid Camera, Tire Cables (no longer fit), Old Blue Tooth, Two Digital Cameras and countless other things I no longer use mainly because we have upgraded.

So I asked what the hell do I do with all this crap that has no purpose anymore.

Just hold onto it until you retire...we don't have any room for it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got another patrol car today...been about 4 years since my last. Started going through my trunk etc and find a County Code Book, Phone Book, County Phone Card, Micro Cassette Recorder, Polaroid Camera, Tire Cables (no longer fit), Old Blue Tooth, Two Digital Cameras and countless other things I no longer use mainly because we have upgraded.

So I asked what the hell do I do with all this crap that has no purpose anymore.

Just hold onto it until you retire...we don't have any room for it.

View Quote

write a report
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
"Property Receipt" log sheet and have it put into property for disposal in about 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull everything out while cleaning, set on the roof or trunk lid.

Catch a hot call.

"Must be in the ditches between here and BFE, sarge."
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Weigh it, calculate how much it costs the department in additional fuels costs, multiply by the number of cars.
Calculate the residual value that might be recouped in auctioning the stuff.  

Write that up and submit it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Throw it away.

If anyone asks you about it just hand them Charlie Chan's business card and tell them, "Whole lotta mysteries around here."
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
During a car change out, I found a ziploc bag with what i believe was chocolate chip cookies in it.  I think...They had turned into a brown gelatinous goo and I was terrified to open the bag.  By my best estimate they had been in there for around 2 years of 90-100 degree summers and winters touching -20.  .

I keep a Rubbermaid tote in the garage with all the "issued" stuff I'm on the hook for.  When I no longer need it, if i buy better stuff, or if I just de-clutter, into the box it goes.  Some day i hope to dump it on the desk of someone more important than me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

During a car change out, I found a ziploc bag with what i believe was chocolate chip cookies in it.  I think...They had turned into a brown gelatinous goo and I was terrified to open the bag.  By my best estimate they had been in there for around 2 years of 90-100 degree summers and winters touching -20.  .

I keep a Rubbermaid tote in the garage with all the "issued" stuff I'm on the hook for.  When I no longer need it, if i buy better stuff, or if I just de-clutter, into the box it goes.  Some day i hope to dump it on the desk of someone more important than me.
View Quote
The tote is a good idea...may go that route.

Another option is my locker I have at the department. Been 10 years and never even opened it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#8]
A Polaroid camera!?!?!??!   Those things are damn near collector's items.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
If all that stuff is your personally owned property, have a yard sale, donate to someone or throw it away. If it belongs to the dept, turn it in and let them wonder what to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a tote too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 Another option is my locker I have at the department. Been 10 years and never even opened it.
View Quote

I met a cop that told me the only thing he uses his locker for is to hide guns before he smuggles them into the house.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
My agency gives us all this stupid crap we don't need. We can't refuse it and it goes on your property card. I just stuff it in my locker, because god forbid I lose my clip on ball cap light that I'll never use. Get a day off for such a serious infraction, lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top