Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 5:40:08 AM EDT
The agency I serve has begun our AR15 patrol rifle program after many years, and I want to reach out and get advice on rifle plate/carrier combo recommendations for purchase.  I don't have deep pockets so money is somewhat a factor, however quality takes priority in the end for obvious reasons so I'd like to find a happy medium.

I would also like to hear about how your plate carrier is organized as far as what you've found useful, and suggestions you may have.  This will exclusively be thrown over my patrol uniform, and not used independent of our IIIA armor (throw it on and go sort of thing).
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out AR500 Armor
They have some great deals and are good folks to boot.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
First, a plate carrier isn't just for active shooter scenario. If I am on a call that warrants grabbing my rifle, I'm taking a second and throwing on my plate carrier as well.

Shellback Banshee + HighCom Security ceramic plates is a great combo.

You don't have to go overboard on pouches. I have two HSGI tacos and an IFAK on mine and that's it. If you carry your handcuffs on the rear of your duty belt, you might add a handcuff pouch on the front or your carrier just for ease of use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
LBT 6094
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a Condor (yes condor) modular operator plate carrier a few years back and some armor plates coated from a member on here that was selling them. I also have four kangaroo pouches on the front; 3 rifle mags, tourniquet, two more pistol mags, light, leatherman. I added a small dump pouch to drop mags in, once used. The setup has held up well for me the last few years. I am not an operator or one that goes to tactical classes every weekend. For my budget concerns, this setup has worked out great, I think I'm right around the 200 mark.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally I would stay away from steel plates. I much prefer ceramic. I don't want to run the risk of a ricochet off the steel. Eight inches in any direction is an artery I don't want to hit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Shellback Banshee.  Then go to the Carrier thread in the armory for ideas.  Most will depend on what you'll need.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Level 3 plates are heavy if you don't wear them all the time. If you're not going to train with them EXTENSIVELY, don't bother.

It may take between one and two minutes to go to your trunk, uncover your vest, and put it on correctly.

If innocent people are being murdered wholesale, grab your rifle and mags and go IMMEDIATELY to kill stop them.

If all you have is your pistol, the same rule applies. Get in, locate and stop the threat.

I would put a well-stocked gunshot kit ahead of a plate carrier. Although, my AR500 carrier w/plates has helped me get over joint-pain issues over the last several months.

Then again...I'm technically an old fart  

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
TAG Banchee.  Protec L3 compressed polyethylene plates.  Triple mag pounce with buggies on the front.  Med pouch.  Buy the large hydration pouch and use it as a small pack for tool, mags, hydration.  Add the TAG shoulder pads.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#9]

You will see a million different answers to your question here.

Your agency policy (if there is one) may not be quite so fluid.  Check there before beginning your research.  I guess something is better than nothing, with AR500 being just barely better than nothing .  If there's no policy then I'd suggest buying the best you can.  Save some cash and just do it.  

Step one:  figure out your plate requirements based on known local threats, mobility and price.  In that order.  Are we talking Fudds w hunting rounds or did ypur local Cabelas just blast 500 pallets of M855 out the door?  Mobility = weight and size.  Don't go too big.  Google the plate placement guide.  Price = buy once cry once, buy crap and you'll eventually upgrade.

Step two:  would be your carrier I guess.  I'd suggest thinking about brand quality, fit, adjustable plate placement, and ease of donning.  A cheap carrier migh work if sitting in your trunk forever but don't be surprised when MOLLE seams start ripping if you get any decent training in it.  Fit, can you square off and shoulder your patrol rifle or are your plates so big that you can't put your arms together?  Plates need to sit high and some cheap carriers don't allow adjustment and require foam or some shit to stay high.  Buckles are faster than full cummberbund velcro.

Those are just my opinions.  Here's what I use at work:

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
A couple of good ideas and bad ones already. First off if it is for work you need to find out if your are covered if you are injured wearing armor that is not certified by NIJ and currently approved in their website. NIJ certification rules out any steel armor, because none are listed as being NIJ certified. Yes workmans comp and insurance can be petty over the details.  My department requires that all armor used be NIJ certified  

You want Lvl III/IV ICW ceramic plates that are NIJ tested and certified.  The price goes up as the weight goes down. Highcomm is a good starting point with their SAS-7 LVL IV plates.

For the PC going over soft armor get something basic like the First Spear First On, less than $100 from SKD with built in mag pouches. Can be thrown in in about 2 seconds over your uniform. What I put my plates in when in a uniform assignment.

I run a PIG PC with IIIA soft armor inserts in plain clothes.  My plates are Point Blank ceramic III/IV ICW. It took me about 5 seconds to put it in responding to a barricaded suspect from court a week ago.  The PIG is the most comfortable armor system I have ever used.

Keep your load simple. All you need are 2-3 AR mags, TQ, and IFAK. Everything else should already be on your duty belt.  If you are preparing for Mumbai keep a bag with more mags, water, food, etc. you won't need the weight for 99% of LE calls.

Good luck,
Rob
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Level 3 plates are heavy if you don't wear them all the time. If you're not going to train with them EXTENSIVELY, don't bother.

It may take between one and two minutes to go to your trunk, uncover your vest, and put it on correctly.
View Quote

Unless you're a 2 man car why would an officer keep their PC in the trunk
As far as OPs question I run a PIG with ceramics backed up by soft panels
The actual pouches etc layout on the PC is basically ripped off from what I wore and liked from my time overseas
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out AR500 Armor
They have some great deals and are good folks to boot.

View Quote

AR500 steel plates are not bad for the money, but their levelll wont stop M193. I upgraded to level iv composite from the same company.
Plates were lighter and still reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Helmet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top