Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 10:04:34 PM EDT
I'm hoping the folks here will help me find the right answer to a question that came out of a conversation I had with a friend about one of their family members in the fire service.

The friend recalls hearing their family member say "There goes the boys in the band." when a siren was heard in the distance.  The friend says they observed this statement being made for decades.

Is the "band" referenced a music band or is it a reference to the "band of brothers" in the public safety sector?

At the end of the day it doesn't make a difference but it was one of those questions of curiosity that came up during the day.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
First I've ever heard of it
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I know its common to hear "There goes the heros..."[eyeroll] when FD rolls past
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Cops wore a banded hat and firemen did not. I heard it explained that way before.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
New to me... seems it references the brotherhood and togetherness... ask an old-timer... maybe he/she can shed some light.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Never heard that one before, but have had plenty people tell me "They are playing your song" when we hear sirens and I am off duty, so it could be a play on that possibly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never heard that either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it is probably just something he thought was funny. Something he heard in a movie.
Whatever. I doubt it's got any deep, significant meaning.

But what do I know ?

FWIW: I started out working for a private ambulance company. They had advertising pens that said on them "The Everyday Heros".
I spent the next 25 years saying that every time I saw an ambulance go by. There goes the everyday heros.  I said it to amuse myself. That's it. Nothing profound or soul searching.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Never heard it that way but have heard "the boys are playing music" and similar.

I would think it's referencing the sirens while responding to calls, I frequently call it music too while changing the tones now that I think about it
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the reflection fellas!

Wes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top