Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2015 2:47:31 PM EDT
I'm a state agency employee, annually we complete a Statement of Economic Interests.  It's geared to high-level people who may have businesses/contributions etc.  For a lowly servant it is 10 questions all "no."

A new google search now has pages linked with our names, ages, employer, home addresses, and the immediate family members ironically all listed on our forms.

At what point does FOIA, or god knows what, have any basis to justify the release of our information in what can only be described as a job security hazard?  Anyhow, does anyone's agency have some similar policy?  I don't care about my name and salary information released, it's government.  But the release of the other information is absurd.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I think my name, job title, salary, and maybe age can be released for a FOIA request, but certainly not my home address or family members' names.
I think it is that way for all city employees.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think my name, job title, salary, and maybe age can be released for a FOIA request, but certainly not my home address or family members' names.I think it is that way for all city employees.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The state has a public data base of all employees.  Name, title, salary.  The major paper in Iowa does an article on it every year.  How is the highest paid state employee, etc.  They link to the website.  

We also fill out a conflict of interest form every year.  I've never seen those in a public forum.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd probably hire an attorney and file suit. Its one thing for me to put myself in the line of fire on duty. Its another thing entirely for my family/friends to be put in the line of fire when I'm off duty and at home. And them posting your home address is just that, putting you / your family in unnecessary danger.

Assuming you can't do anything about it I'd file a change of address, and my 'address' would be a PO box.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
NYPD is usually VERY good at keeping personal information "personal".  (Unless an incident is deemed "racial". Somehow, the cop's address and photos of the "luxurious 2-bedroom mansion in the suburbs" makes its way to the evening news.)

A Bronx cop who lived in my town killed a (protected) skell following an armed robbery, and the cop's name and address were published within a week.

Our favorite racial culprit planned to bus-in protesters to his home, as well as his daughter's school  (Early 1990's)

Our town Police Chief, to his credit, said that Shit-ton was free to protest, however, many of the town's residents dislike Mr. Shit-ton, and are avid hunters. Due to the fact that he only had 2-3 officers, as well as 1-Sgt., there was no way he could guarantee the safety of Mr. Shit-ton or his paid protesters.

Protest cancelled for some reason..

Much more horrible shit befell the officer in question in the following 4 years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The state has a public data base of all employees.  Name, title, salary.  The major paper in Iowa does an article on it every year.  How is the highest paid state employee, etc.  They link to the website.  

We also fill out a conflict of interest form every year.  I've never seen those in a public forum.
View Quote

Exactly the same here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Where did OP go?
Anyway, if you are part of a union/association/etc, this would be a good issue to get them working on. I'm sure it varies by state, but family members and home address should be a no go for public information.

Unfortunately, since it is already on the internet, probably not much can be done to totally remove it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think my name, job title, salary, and maybe age can be released for a FOIA request, but certainly not my home address or family members' names.I think it is that way for all city employees.
View Quote

In KY I can look up all that stuff online in 30 seconds for state and city employees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top