Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 9:00:27 AM EDT
Already looked into academy dates and times that I can make work around my current work schedule, I feel I can remain physically fit, make gains if needed to pass physical fitness test, I go to the gym 5 days a week. I can pass the Ohio P.T. test now. I try and run at least 100 rounds through my pistol a month. I am an Iraqi war vet so I feel I can mentally handle the job. My only concerns are. I'm 33 and have uncorrectable vision in one eye (20/20 monocular though) and what's it like? I know it's not like an episode of COPS everyday or maybe even those are once in a lifetime things. I live in a rural county where Meth is huge and departments are small. I'd actually like to work for the county sheriff. What made you current LEO guys have that "AHA" moment when you were like "Yep, this is what I'm going to do." thanks for your time
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no longer LE, was with a central rockies SO for 8 years.    We were always hiring for jail deputies, and that position COULD lead to an all expense paid trip to the academy.  Kind of the carrot on the stick.

I don't know if that is done near you, but it could be worth looking at.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I would encourage you to get at least a two year degree in criminal justice or related. This is most important.
We give preferential rating to applicants with degrees, though military service is also considered.

Also, once conditionally hired, your department should be sending you to academy. At least that's how its done around here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Here, your age and vision are no issue.  I like my job... a lot... I like my agency too.  Each day is as much different while as much the same... makes no sense I know but that's the way I see it.  Can't think of anything else I'd like to do other than go into firearms training full time but that's not going to happen any time soon.

I say give it a try...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
For my shop, your vision has to be correctable to 20/20 and for guys that are really nearsighted, you have to be able to wear soft contacts.  They're ok with Lasik or PRK too.  So check on that with your local agencies.

As for whether you want the job or not, it's dependent on an individual.  You being a military vet may serve you well, because it's less likely to be a decision based on boredom in your current job.  I wanted to be police for several reasons, and none of them were the idiological BS that you hear people talk about.  The job provides me with personal satisfaction that can't be taken away by media slander or prevailing political winds.  I like the paycheck and the relative freedom this job provides also.  Guys that think they will make a difference and be recognized for their selfless sacrifices are in for a dissapointment.

ETA: the "AHA" moment wasn't there.  It was a culmination of things.  I worked in an office, punching a keyboards and felt that I didn't work with people enough.  I witnessed a couple of occasions when cops did some truly heroic things.  Then 9/11 happened and it pushed me over the line and I finally figured that this was what I was going to do.  Then I worked for a PD as a civilian for a bit and got a lot of encouragement from officers there, which helped solidify my decision.  I don't regret it one bit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Your age and vision should not be a problem. If you do get your OPOTA cert on your own that obviously makes you more marketable especially over a non cert candidate. If you have a bunch of smaller agencies around you chances are they are not civil service hires, they can pick and choose who they want at any time to hire and not the next guy off of the testing/entrance exam list. Your military experience doesn't guarantee anything. My agency has seen combat vets not able to perform the duties while non college average Joes excel at the job. Your age does give you some maturity over the vast majority of people trying to get into the field. Like anything if you want it bad enough you'll make it work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well there is a big difference between what you did and a lot of police jobs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well there is a big difference between what you did and a lot of police jobs.

Guys from all over the country said "Fuck no" in that thread.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
It's tough to self soonest your way through an academy because you don't know if you will have a job when you graduate or not. In ohio you have a year after you graduate to get a commission and you'll likely start as an unpaid reserve somewhere first.

Unless you go to a larger city that has their own academy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unless you go to a larger city that has their own academy.
View Quote

That's the way to do it anyway.  Getting paid while in training beats paying yourself while maintaining another job.  Usually better pay, civil service protection, unionized and better opportunity to get into more interesting side of LE.  Although, patrol is a very underrated job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top