Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I graduated with a 3.91 so I had the superior academic achievement criteria fulfilled as well. The CBP Officer position is GS-5, and the BPA position is GS-7. I moved on in the CBP Officer hiring process, but BPA turned me away automatically.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like they want prior LEO's for the BPA job. Not really disappointed, I saw it coming.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I graduated with a 3.91 so I had the superior academic achievement criteria fulfilled as well. The CBP Officer position is GS-5, and the BPA position is GS-7. I moved on in the CBP Officer hiring process, but BPA turned me away automatically.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like they want prior LEO's for the BPA job. Not really disappointed, I saw it coming.
View Quote
According to the description on usajobs it's not needed to have prior Leo experience for BPA.  I'm taking the BPA test in three weeks and have no prior Leo experience.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
best part of the latest announcement that closed. if you want to apply for the CBPO job in anchorage Alaska, you have to go to seattle for your written test, and seattle for your physical. IE 2200 miles.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
According to the description on usajobs it's not needed to have prior Leo experience for BPA.  I'm taking the BPA test in three weeks and have no prior Leo experience.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome. Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I only had some college and no prior LE. I was offered a BPA job... unfortunately I got offered a job right after getting out of the customs academy so meh.  If anything it may have been vet preference.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Honorfirst forums are what you want to check out to learn about the job/hiring process. It took me a year and 7 months to get hired by BP
View Quote

there is a drop down box at the top for anyone looking for stuff about customs. same process pretty much though, unfortunately the ofo forum doesn't have the same standards the honor first which leads to a bunch of old customs slugs and tactical timmys crying about how the world has screwed them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I only had some college and no prior LE. I was offered a BPA job... unfortunately I got offered a job right after getting out of the customs academy so meh.  If anything it may have been vet preference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a vet definitely helps with the fed. Not a vet here so my degree doesn't mean shit to most agencies right now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Being a vet definitely helps with the fed. Not a vet here so my degree doesn't mean shit to most agencies right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a vet either, luckily CBP-OFO was pretty hard up for people (which is always) so I got hired on pretty easy, BP was pretty short at the time too but then budget shenanigans happened so my process got held up until after I was out of the OFO academy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For those that want a Federal LEO career, this is a good opportunity to get your federal time started.
You will be more desirable, having Customs & Immigration knowledge/experience, and it will be easier to jump to another agency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
For those that want a Federal LEO career, this is a good opportunity to get your federal time started.
You will be more desirable, having Customs & Immigration knowledge/experience, and it will be easier to jump to another agency.

That was my plan when I first came in, figured it was a stepping stone.  I'm still here.  My choice though, I've seen guys go to pretty much every other Agency out there, accept the FBI.  I'm sure it's happened, but I don't know anyone who made that jump.  Don't know why.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you apply make sure you're happy with where you end up as you will be there for 3-5 years if not more.

+100

Try to apply under a specific location (NY, SD etc), try to avoid applying under a broad location ..."south west region"
If you don't like the location they offer you, tell them where you want to go, and ask for a 90 day extension.
The hiring people will LIE to you to fill spots. Prolly not as bad as a few years ago, but becareful.
Don't believe anything say about transfers and location availability.

Last I heard they offer you a spot, you take it OR your out of the hiring line up. That's how it was when I got hired 4 years ago.

This is also what we were told, accept your offer or you were going in the circular file.  I would encourage anyone who is going to apply to do their research and seek out the station they would like the most.  You can always ask "Hey, I really wanted XXXXX Station, do you have any vacancies there?", when they call you with an offer.  It may just work.  I would follow the threads on Honorfirst to see who is getting Agents and go from there.  If you ask for Casa Grande, AZ, you likely here the entire office laugh at you on the other end.

ETA: This is for BP applicants.  I just re-read the title and realized it's a CBPO announcement.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got word I'm moving forward with the pre-employment process for the CBP Officer position. Update for those looking at a timeline:

CBPO 15-2 (GS-7)
5/9/15 - Applied
6/12/15 - Completed exam
6/30/15 - Referred to move forward with the pre-employment process.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Been a CBPO since 2009 (currently a GS-12 Step 4); working on the SW Border right now. our port (Nogales, AZ) is HURTING for staff. People have either quit, joined other agencies or transferred to other POEs. And we have a lot of activity here, so if you want action, this is definitely the place to go. Don't believe me? Go to Netflix and watch the 1st Season of NatGeo's "Border Wars", filmed almost entirely in Nogales.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks I won't be seeing you, Black-Tiger, as I applied for El Paso.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Been a CBPO since 2009 (currently a GS-12 Step 4); working on the SW Border right now. our port (Nogales, AZ) is HURTING for staff. People have either quit, joined other agencies or transferred to other POEs. And we have a lot of activity here, so if you want action, this is definitely the place to go. Don't believe me? Go to Netflix and watch the 1st Season of NatGeo's "Border Wars", filmed almost entirely in Nogales.

View Quote

Hey tiger, have you heard of anyone wanting to swap from Nogi to Douglas? Believe it or not I'm having a pretty hard time getting over there, already been turned down for two laterals... which I didn't think was possible as I hear you guys are getting murdered over there. If you know anyone or hear anything me and another guy have been trying to get there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey tiger, have you heard of anyone wanting to swap from Nogi to Douglas? Believe it or not I'm having a pretty hard time getting over there, already been turned down for two laterals... which I didn't think was possible as I hear you guys are getting murdered over there. If you know anyone or hear anything me and another guy have been trying to get there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never pancake, you are never getting out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Similar experience but my poly agent said I was being deceptive, but I've passed other polygraphs.  Dude interrogated me for two hours after it was over  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I applied as CBP a few years ago, went through the entire hiring process to get shut down on the background check due to admitting marijuana use 8 fucking years earlier in college.

In retrospect it was probably a blessing, I was slated to go to Yuma if I attended the academy. Now I graduate nursing school in 11 days and won't be hamstrung by a President who won't let you do your job.

I Dunno if there are agents on the board, but I can help you with what I remember about the process.

ETA looks like there are agents on here, they can better walk you through the process
Similar experience but my poly agent said I was being deceptive, but I've passed other polygraphs.  Dude interrogated me for two hours after it was over  

Same thing happened to me. Multiple year process down the drain cause my interrogator said I was being deceptive. It was all about past Marijuana use when I was 15, only did it a handful of times but he didn't believe me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel like there is a stealth arfcomer among us at work... Either that or its just a known fact I'm not going anywhere
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Spent a year in the pool don't waste your time. Got bumped out for only recent college graduates.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I feel like there is a stealth arfcomer among us at work... Either that or its just a known fact I'm not going anywhere
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must be on a double because you should be able to figure it out. I mean jeez I have a picture of myself as my avatar.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You must be on a double because you should be able to figure it out. I mean jeez I have a picture of myself as my avatar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was still waking up mija, i got it now fuckhead
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm an FTO up here on the northern border and were getting very few off the street hires.
The last 4 new guys at our POE were 3 BPA's and a TSA Supervisor who transferred over.

I did my time down south at CAL, SYS, OTM and Tecate. I miss it sometimes...........
View Quote

USBP is bleeding people faster than they're hiring these days, and a lot are going CBPO.  Why is there an 'F' in your title
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Field training officer.  USBP is not the same as before.  Some places have hard X's where you sit all day with little action.  Also recent pay reform has cost agents a good chunk of money.  Port guys do make more money but at the cost of lots of time working double shifts with little time for family.  Leads to divorce, alimony, child support then you're not earning so much, seen a lot of friends go that route.  Still a good start if you have a degree and then make the jump to DEA, FBI, etc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Field training officer.  USBP is not the same as before.  Some places have hard X's where you sit all day with little action.  Also recent pay reform has cost agents a good chunk of money.  Port guys do make more money but at the cost of lots of time working double shifts with little time for family.  Leads to divorce, alimony, child support then you're not earning so much, seen a lot of friends go that route.  Still a good start if you have a degree and then make the jump to DEA, FBI, etc.
View Quote

I think he was joking about the F in FTO as there isn't really much of a "field" to be training in.

Agreed on the money issue, although the constant doubles and stuff depends A LOT on where you are working. I do more OT in a month than other guys might get in a year at the smaller ports or better staffed larger ports. It's almost a different agency from port to port sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think he was joking about the F in FTO as there isn't really much of a "field" to be training in.

Agreed on the money issue, although the constant doubles and stuff depends A LOT on where you are working. I do more OT in a month than other guys might get in a year at the smaller ports or better staffed larger ports. It's almost a different agency from port to port sometimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  Also, I think DHS, as a whole (well except maybe the CG I dunno) is currently suffering from an appalling lack of leadership...I know BP stations are like independent fiefdoms with jealously guarded traditions and SOPs.  Not a lot of interagency talk or cooperation either, at least at the lower levels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most POE's have FTO's for pre and post academy training.
Didn't have them back in 1996 when I went trough FLETC.
My 1st year I doubled my base salary with the OT, but that was under the old system.
Most southern border CBPO start maxing out in OT around April, then CBP gets approval to go over the $35,000 cap. .
Northern border doesn't have nearly as much OT,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most POE's have FTO's for pre and post academy training.
Didn't have them back in 1996 when I went trough FLETC.
My 1st year I doubled my base salary with the OT, but that was under the old system.
Most southern border CBPO start maxing out in OT around April, then CBP gets approval to go over the $35,000 cap. .
Northern border doesn't have nearly as much OT,

Ya I know about FTOs, I got on in 2011 so I had to go through FTO. The BPA was joking about FTO, taking a jab at the "field" part as they like to do (I got a chuckle).

I'm at 12k in OT right now on the SWB, which is what I finished with the past couple years. I'll probably go from 12 to 17.5k by the end of July as it's really picked up lately. The reapplies hit AZ pretty hard
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Correct.  Also, I think DHS, as a whole (well except maybe the CG I dunno) is currently suffering from an appalling lack of leadership...I know BP stations are like independent fiefdoms with jealously guarded traditions and SOPs.  Not a lot of interagency talk or cooperation either, at least at the lower levels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a lot of leadership right now. We're being lead into not doing our jobs, it's still leadership, right? I don't think things will improve until there's an administration change, and even then, could get worse I guess.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm at 12k in OT right now on the SWB, which is what I finished with the past couple years. I'll probably go from 12 to 17.5k by the end of July as it's really picked up lately. The reapplies hit AZ pretty hard
View Quote

Sounds like people got to gettin' while the gettin' was good, mija.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few certain people have almost cried from the drafts... literally... again.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw it with my own two eyes the first time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top