User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2015 12:19:35 AM EDT
EDIT - 04/23/2015 - OPENING AGAIN SOON - 4-24-15

Region specific hiring.

CBPO Hiring is OPEN

Just a heads up for those who might be interested.  

Some good opportunities if you are willing to pursue them.

Good luck.

Edit -

Don't wait, it closes March 2nd, or before if they get enough applicants.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
For those that want a Federal LEO career, this is a good opportunity to get your federal time started.
You will be more desirable, having Customs & Immigration knowledge/experience, and it will be easier to jump to another agency.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
There are another 3 planned announcements this year and another 4 planned for next year as funds allow. If you apply make sure you're happy with where you end up as you will be there for 3-5 years if not more. As others have said, it's a good foot in the door and you can't beat the pay.

edit: When I said year I meant fiscal year (which starts October)
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the heads up good sir! I just submitted my application.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you apply make sure you're happy with where you end up as you will be there for 3-5 years if not more.
View Quote

+100

Try to apply under a specific location (NY, SD etc), try to avoid applying under a broad location ..."south west region"
If you don't like the location they offer you, tell them where you want to go, and ask for a 90 day extension.
The hiring people will LIE to you to fill spots. Prolly not as bad as a few years ago, but becareful.
Don't believe anything say about transfers and location availability.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+100

Try to apply under a specific location (NY, SD etc), try to avoid applying under a broad location ..."south west region"
If you don't like the location they offer you, tell them where you want to go, and ask for a 90 day extension.
The hiring people will LIE to you to fill spots. Prolly not as bad as a few years ago, but becareful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you apply make sure you're happy with where you end up as you will be there for 3-5 years if not more.

+100

Last I heard they offer you a spot, you take it OR your out of the hiring line up. That's how it was when I got hired 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I applied last week. Hopefully I have a shot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Are first duty stations down south?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not necessarily, it's whatever locations they have listed on the announcement. They always change as the Agency requirements for people in different areas change.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not necessarily, it's whatever locations they have listed on the announcement. They always change as the Agency requirements for people in different areas change.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They only announce position on the SW border for new hires, unless they have changed their policy.  I strongly suspect 100% of this hiring group are going to be offered Rio Grande Valley or Laredo sector positions, as they just allowed a bunch of senior agent transfers to CA/AZ/Northern border despite RGV being where 75% of the UDAs are showing up.  

Of course, since this is FEDGOV, they may just continue to bulk up Tucson and Chula Vista while South Texas continues to get inundated.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If you do appy be ready for an obscenely long hiring process.  I applied back in 2011 and withdrew after I found out that anyone being hired in my group was going to be offered Ajo, Az and my background had already been going on for 18 months.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you do appy be ready for an obscenely long hiring process.  I applied back in 2011 and withdrew after I found out that anyone being hired in my group was going to be offered Ajo, Az and my background had already been going on for 18 months.
View Quote

They will only offer you a job in the area iin which you apply, they hired well over 20 new officers in WA in the last 7 months.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Customs hires in the location you select, I believe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, CBPOs are hired for a specific port.  BP positions can change from the posting to whatever they need when they offer you the position.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Be curious how many bagillion applications they get.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Be curious how many bagillion applications they get.
View Quote

They limit it to 12,000
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Last I heard they offer you a spot, you take it OR your out of the hiring line up. That's how it was when I got hired 4 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100

They will offer the 90 day extension for ICE but not CBP ???
When I applied for ICE/IEA about 8 years ago, I turned down the first location, they said they would put me on a 90 day hold till my location of choice opened up. They did call back after 90 days and offered me the job, I turned it down though.
It may not be available for some jobs, or they just want to pressure you into taking the job so they can fill a much needed spot. You can try and ask for the 90 day hold, doesn't mean they will give it.
Again the hiring center has LIED BIG TIME to many people to fill spots. That may not be the case anymore, but be careful, and don't believe everything they tell you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When I applied for ICE/IEA about 8 years ago, I turned down the first location, they said they would put me on a 90 day hold till my location of choice opened up. They did call back after 90 days and offered me the job, I turned it down though.
It may not be available for some jobs, or they just want to pressure you into taking the job so they can fill a much needed spot. You can try and ask for the 90 day hold, doesn't mean they will give it.
Again the hiring center has LIED BIG TIME to many people to fill spots. That may not be the case anymore, but be careful, and don't believe everything they tell you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100

CBP will still theoretically offer other posts, however in practice, most people just get the same one offered again.  I don't know if the hiring agency (it's not actually .gov that does the hiring) LIES, per se, but they certainly stretch the facts and without question they will attempt to mislead you.  Even the senior BP brass complain about the hiring process.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100

When I initially applied that was the practice, after 2 years of being in the que they changed it (you had to sign a thing and mail it to them stating you understood the new "take it or leave it" policy) and then I got the offer
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

New opening beginning on April 24th is region specific.

Check it out.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I've read throught the posting a few times, can anyone point me to the job questionnaire online?
It's a required document but I can't fine the link, are the referring the the practice exam?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:28:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've read throught the posting a few times, can anyone point me to the job questionnaire online?
It's a required document but I can't fine the link, are the referring the the practice exam?

Thank you.
View Quote

All you have to do is register at USAjobs and then follow the instructions on the application. It will take you a little while to fill out. Also, make sure you have all of the necessary documentation handy on your computer. They have done a nice job with setting everything up, but it is still a bit of a tedious process. They offer a template to help craft your resume. I would review it to refine your resume to their liking as there is some stuff they ask for that I wouldn't consider normal for other careers. I applied during the March opening and took the "written" exam one week ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#22]
That salary.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That salary.
View Quote

I worked with a former BP guy who actually said NYPD was better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That salary.

Job wise?

Guess it depends on where you get put.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That salary.
View Quote

The starting salary is low, but you make pay jumps every year for the first few years (big jumps) and once you hit journeyman you get jumps every other year. You also get paid more based on your location. I've been working here for just under 5 years, I made 96k last year and don't live in a high cost of living area.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I applied as CBP a few years ago, went through the entire hiring process to get shut down on the background check due to admitting marijuana use 8 fucking years earlier in college.

In retrospect it was probably a blessing, I was slated to go to Yuma if I attended the academy. Now I graduate nursing school in 11 days and won't be hamstrung by a President who won't let you do your job.

I Dunno if there are agents on the board, but I can help you with what I remember about the process.

ETA looks like there are agents on here, they can better walk you through the process
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I applied as CBP a few years ago, went through the entire hiring process to get shut down on the background check due to admitting marijuana use 8 fucking years earlier in college.

In retrospect it was probably a blessing, I was slated to go to Yuma if I attended the academy. Now I graduate nursing school in 11 days and won't be hamstrung by a President who won't let you do your job.

I Dunno if there are agents on the board, but I can help you with what I remember about the process.

ETA looks like there are agents on here, they can better walk you through the process
View Quote
Similar experience but my poly agent said I was being deceptive, but I've passed other polygraphs.  Dude interrogated me for two hours after it was over

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Similar experience but my poly agent said I was being deceptive, but I've passed other polygraphs.  Dude interrogated me for two hours after it was over  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No poly needed when I applied, I do think they were doing lie detector tests for people going to TX (Laredo I think).
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Long shot, but tossed in an app.

Figure why not?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Long shot, but tossed in an app.

Figure why not?
View Quote
More of a long process that a long shot at getting in.  My road block, and many others from what I've read, is I had a dickhead perform my poly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I got in before the poly requirement.

I'm glad.  I had one years ago with my old PD - I sure didn't want another.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Should have contested it.  That letter saying you are "not adequate" is a common way for them to thin the applicant pool.

I had a similar letter for another "offense" I had admitted to, but was never convicted of, or even charged with for that matter.  I submitted a letter with additional references - a week later, I was back in process.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Should have contested it.  That letter saying you are "not adequate" is a common way for them to thin the applicant pool.

I had a similar letter for another "offense" I had admitted to, but was never convicted of, or even charged with for that matter.  I submitted a letter with additional references - a week later, I was back in process.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about it considering it was my last step; I made it through drug test, panel interview, physical, fitness test, language/logic exam, etc. Got a fed  ex letter and called the number. Lady on the phone explained if I wanted to stay in the running they could  provide a waiver. However, if I was declined my background check would be disseminated to all branches of .gov (vs remaining in just DHS if I withdrew my application).

I asked what my chances were and she said she could not say, there was a hint in her voice but I decided it was best to cut my losses.

Like I said, I'm not bitter and life has worked out better than I can imagine.

Good luck to those applying and stay safe to those on the border.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I threw in an application as well for El Paso. I want to get out of Maine and go to Texas specifically. No drug experimentation or use here, but if what I've read on Officer.com is true, that doesn't seem to matter depending on the polygraph examiner you get. I'm seeking other opportunities anyway, but figured why not?

Edit: Saw the new opening this morning for BPA's and filled that out as well for south Texas. It said it overwrites my other application, so just a heads up to those that apply to both. I'd rather try for this position as it seems it would be more rewarding.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I threw in an application as well for El Paso. I want to get out of Maine and go to Texas specifically. No drug experimentation or use here, but if what I've read on Officer.com is true, that doesn't seem to matter depending on the polygraph examiner you get. I'm seeking other opportunities anyway, but figured why not?

Edit: Saw the new opening this morning for BPA's and filled that out as well for south Texas. It said it overwrites my other application, so just a heads up to those that apply to both. I'd rather try for this position as it seems it would be more rewarding.
View Quote

We gets lots of BP swapping to CBP. Infinitely better working conditions and better pay.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

South Texas is definitely more work right now.   Look on some bp boards now though so if you get offered multiple stations you can make an informed choice
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

6 months to a year hiring process average.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I applied in 2003 - got hired in 2008.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad i thought you were talking about BP.  I have a family member in OFO also took him about 4 + years.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got word I'm moving on to the written portion for CBP Officer for those of you who also applied and wondering about the timeline.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I know a bunch. Good people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Figured I'll post my timeline so far. I applied to the 15-1 announcement think it was in January. I took the written in April just did medical and fitness screenings last month and now have my structured interview next wed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Just got word I'm moving on to the written portion for CBP Officer for those of you who also applied and wondering about the timeline.
View Quote
I did too.

Also, there is an arithmetic section on the test?

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That salary.
View Quote

depends where you're at. I started at 32k, made a lil more than that after a tiny bit of OT/shift diff. This was in 2012. It is 2015 and I've had a couple pay increases already, I'm at 58k base right now, I'll easily hit 80, if not 90k after ot and shift diff.

for CBPO shift premiums are as follows:
15% swing shift
20% mids
1.5x sundays
DOUBLE pay overtime (this is where you make your money).

There is also up to a 5% FLAP which is foreign language pay depending on proficiency. Lastly, there are awards each year which vary by port and will likely disappear pretty soon. I didn't get too much stuff last year and I still had a nice $300 bonus check right before Christmas.

Once again, probably not the best pay in new York city, san Francisco, san diego, etc... but if you're on the southwest or northern border you can live pretty damn well with okay hours depending on your port. I've been living at work the past couple weeks and made more in OT this week than most officers make at a lot of the northern ports.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I did too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did too.

Don't worry, its the last arithmetic you will do.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#46]
It's not too bad. Mostly basic multiplication/division/addition/subtraction. Pretty much multiple choice practical stuff like imperial-metric conversions. I'm not disclosing anything specific but it's very similar to the practice test that they give you in an email somewhere or another. If you have trouble finding it let me know and I'll dig around for it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Honorfirst forums are what you want to check out to learn about the job/hiring process. It took me a year and 7 months to get hired by BP
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Took the CBP Officer test. Waiting for results.

Didn't even make it to the first round for the BPA position. I have a Bachelor's in CJ, but no LE experience, and was medically separated before I could have qualified for any veterans preference. I was cited for not meeting GS-7 specialized experience requirements as the reason for my denial.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Didn't even make it to the first round for the BPA position. I have a Bachelor's in CJ, but no LE experience, and was medically separated before I could have qualified for any veterans preference. I was cited for not meeting GS-7 specialized experience requirements as the reason for my denial.
View Quote
That's weird, since CBPO and BPA have the same requirements.  You should qualify at GS7 with four year degree.  You could always retry at GS5

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's weird, since CBPO and BPA have the same requirements.  You should qualify at GS7 with four year degree.  You could always retry at GS5  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While the requirements for GS5/7/9 seem pretty clear, the hiring center interprets them widely depending on who gets your file.  AFAIK, you can't appeal even if they make a ridiculous decision.  FWIW, a degree in CJ is pretty close to irrelevant, but should still qualify for a 7.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top