Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2015 12:22:41 PM EDT
Well after 3 years working in my SO's jail, I'm beginning the FTO process to go to the road Monday. Their plan for me, is a couple of weeks in each division before going on ridealongs with patrol.
So what advice does the BoS have?

7mm
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Orientation. If you don't know where you are at, its impossible to get help to you.

Hands. Watch them always. That's what bad guys assault or kill you with.

Body language. Anyone that stretches or yawns or looks around clearing their shoulders is working up the courage to take some form of action.

Be relentless. Take the time to re-search people, vehicles, houses. The second search often recovers new evidence with a fresh set of eyes.

Train. Take the extra time and money to get quality training. Lift, run, train MMA, go shooting, etc... Take the time to make yourself a survivor.

Family. Don't let the job ruin your relationships with spouse, family and friends
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Orientation. If you don't know where you are at, its impossible to get help to you.

Body language. Anyone that stretches or yawns or looks around clearing their shoulders is working up the courage to take some form of action.

Be relentless. Take the time to re-search people, vehicles, houses. The second search often recovers new evidence with a fresh set of eyes.

Train. Take the extra time and money to get quality training. Lift, run, train MMA, go shooting, etc... Take the time to make yourself a survivor.

Family. Don't let the job ruin your relationships with spouse, family and friends
View Quote

I've heard that before. But it's good to hear it again.
7mm
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
For the FTO experience, the best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and listen a whole lot more than you talk.  You may not like your FTO's (most have 1, 2, or all 3 they dislike) but you can learn something from each of them.  The program is your time to learn, not to try and show off what you think you may know.
Report writing and decision making.  These along with orientation will hang up most people.

-You have to be able to take in limited information and make a decision in a timely manner.   Then be able to articulate why you made said decision when questioned.  Put your big boy pants on.
-If you can't write a coherent paragraph, then it's going to be rough.
-Gotta know where you are when poop goes sideways.  You also need to know how to get somewhere when the poop goes sideways for someone else.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

HANDS Watch them always. That's what bad guys assault or kill you with.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Hope your FTO goes better than mine..
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hope your FTO goes better than mine..
View Quote

He actually has one so it's going better than mine already.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't know something, or need clarification. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Never assume that you know what's going on when you arrive on scene.  Often, things appear to be one thing but when you dig into it, you'll sometimes find out that what you thought is not actually what's going on.  Take every call on a case by case basis.....just because you were out at the same place for the same type of call last week, doesn't mean that it's the same this week.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Well a quick update.
I'm at a full service SO so that's the background.
Day 1 & 2 reading the SOP, day 3 riding along with the investigators and tomorrow the same. I've assisted some of them on technical stuff I know before so I know most of them and they know me. Which is good so far. However I'm a lost ball in high grass just because of the number of cases each guy is on & I'm starting off in the middle of each of them and in some cases being told to exit the office~no problem in those instances it's been the Chief Capt, Ltd & Sgt's squaring off. So I hang out until a call, ride out to the scene, use my God given 2 ears, 2 eyes and 1 mouth as effective as I can.
After the investigators it's off to school resource, civil, crime scene & then patrol.  I'm expecting 1 to 2 months before being signed off.  However what I'm expecting and what happens in my experience are kinda close but not exactly the same.

Stay tuned for more...
7mm
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep a level head, it's just a job, you're not Wyatt Earp!  More than ANYTHING else, Stay Alert, aware of what's going on around you all the time.  You don't have the edge out there, bad guy does!  Keep the job at work, NOT home!  You'll do fine.  Good Luck, have fun!
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Ask a lot of questions during your first "limbo" week, that way your not getting points deducted on things you could have prevented by asking questions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For the FTO experience, the best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and listen a whole lot more than you talk.  You may not like your FTO's (most have 1, 2, or all 3 they dislike) but you can learn something from each of them.  The program is your time to learn, not to try and show off what you think you may know.
Report writing and decision making.  These along with orientation will hang up most people.

-You have to be able to take in limited information and make a decision in a timely manner.   Then be able to articulate why you made said decision when questioned.  Put your big boy pants on.
-If you can't write a coherent paragraph, then it's going to be rough.
-Gotta know where you are when poop goes sideways.  You also need to know how to get somewhere when the poop goes sideways for someone else.
View Quote

Excellent advice right here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Find out what your reasons for living are and what you value in life, and cement them in your head. When you get ready for work everyday, look yourself in the mirror and say "I will not die today." Cultivate your sense of duty to your community and make peace with the dangers of the job. Others have covered the technical aspects of training and studying to prepare yourself, but you absolutely must prepare yourself mentally for your survival. Do not cling to your FTO as if he/she is a bodyguard, field training IS patrol and you can get killed doing it. I was involved in an OIS in my 2nd phase of field training and I attribute my survival wholly to mental preparation.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't stress this enough...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

All this.
The most important skill for a cop IMO is people skills, communication. Whether you are working with mentally ill, on a domestic, or taking down a house on a felony warrant, you must be able to effectively communicate with all types of folks. Treat them with respect and show confidence in your actions. While in training, watch how the trainers interact with people and the responses they get. Learn what works, and what definitely does not. (for example, dont try and talk hood when you are a suburban white boy or a country boy haha)

And dont stress yourself out, you know the law/policy/SOPs from the classroom. One day it will just click and you will get it, until then relax and dont overthink it.

FTOs...you can learn from the good and the bad (what to do and what NOT to do), hopefully you can tell the difference

I'll hit again what he said about being relentless....Remember your job, keep the peace and catch bad guys. Dont get lazy, actively hunt them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't know something, or need clarification. Good luck to you.
View Quote

I disagree unless it is urgent that you need to know the information, look it up yourself.  Keep your mouth shut and learn from each of your FTOs and do things THEIR way, not your previous FTOs way.  Three months to be the cop they want you to be and then once you are off probation be the cop you want to be.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#17]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
As an FTO my advice is jump in, get your hands dirty, and handle business. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I critique here and there. But usually  I dont  step in unless I see an officer safety or liability issue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#19]
There's a right way and a wrong way to ask questions in the FTO program.
-Is it something you have already been taught, don't ask, look it up.
-Is it something you could look up for yourself in a code book or policy/procedure manual, don't ask.
-Is it a situation you've handled or been exposed to before, don't ask.
-Is it a crazy impossible hypothetical semantics filled scenario from hell...Don't ask.

-Is it something new that you've never done, Ask.
-If you are truly in a jam and feel unsafe or in a bad liability spot, ask.
-Use your resources first, before running to the FTO and asking for answers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Riding 2 feet from someone with bad breath is horrible. Remember this.

Also don't get overwhelmed. Do you know how to eat an elephant?... 1 bite at a time.

The first time you run code remember you're in a car. It's not a rocket ship, calm down, cleetus.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Maps, know them well. The last two trainees my department has had, that's has been the down fall. They can not tell me where they are or where other officers are. Go old school with just paper maps, use them to drive around areas on your own time. Go in day and night time, things change a lot. Know your directions; N, S, E, W. Don't give directions as left and right, give them as "go north or west, etc.." Do not rely on high tech gadgets like phones and gps units, they will fail you.

Second, ask questions, lots of them. I tell my trainees that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. If I explain something and you don't get it, ask me to clarify, otherwise I take it as you understand and will get upset if you screw it up or ask at a later time to explain.

Ask detectives and supervisors who writes good reports. Check system for those guys/gals and read several reports of each type; theft, assault, burglary, robbery. Print them off if you can and use them for reference later on.

Get phone numbers of senior guys and other training officers. Introduce yourself, that way when you are on you own and get the cluster call you know who to call for help and they know you.

Just a few tips, hope they help. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maps, know them well. The last two trainees my department has had, that's has been the down fall. They can not tell me where they are or where other officers are. Go old school with just paper maps, use them to drive around areas on your own time. Go in day and night time, things change a lot. Know your directions; N, S, E, W. Don't give directions as left and right, give them as "go north or west, etc.." Do not rely on high tech gadgets like phones and gps units, they will fail you. I rode my bicycle around my town on my off days to help learn the area - lots of things you won't see from a car.

Second, ask questions, lots of them. I tell my trainees that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. If I explain something and you don't get it, ask me to clarify, otherwise I take it as you understand and will get upset if you screw it up or ask at a later time to explain.

Ask detectives and supervisors who writes good reports. Check system for those guys/gals and read several reports of each type; theft, assault, burglary, robbery. Print them off if you can and use them for reference later on. Every FTO and Sgt thinks they are God's gift to report writing - some of them will screw up a well written report by making "recommendations".  Guessing you already know this one.

Get phone numbers of senior guys and other training officers. Introduce yourself, that way when you are on you own and get the cluster call you know who to call for help and they know you.

Just a few tips, hope they help. Good luck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Lots of great advise given.  On thing to keep in mind is your FTO is not your friend, he's there to train you.  Your FTO may be a dick because he needs to be.  When your FTO is over and your an Officer he may be a completely different guy.  I've had trainees that got the program and I didn't have to get ill but a couple of times.  Other, like my current one, I pretty much have to be a dick.  It's not who I am and I don't like doing it but some guys just don't get it if your not more forceful in what your conveying, particularly when they are not responding to training.  If it gets the point across and the guy succeeds in becoming a successful Officer then I've succeeded.  People that you deal with aren't going to be nice all the time so don't take it personal when your FTO isn't.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys and it's good to hear what's important.

Quick update
CID was good. The different personalities were very different and interesting.
I'm in the civil side of the house now. My current FTO is one of my previous trainers, good guy and can be an ass when it's needed. Oh the best part was he was doing his job as an FTO trying to get me ready for the patrol phase. Problem was the citizen we pulled over and wrote a warning complained to the Sheriff. Within the hour we were in his office at parade rest getting our asses chewed in a one way conversation. We were within SOP, so nothing on paper just a verbal beat down. It sucked but that was yesterday.
Afterwards I bought him lunch and I said don't sweat it. I've always said you learn one of two ways, from experience and mistakes, both yours and others. Well as I learned in the jail, is if you do your job aggressively you will have some people complaining  both inmates and officers. As long as I was within SOP I was covered.

Until the next update,

7mm
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Sheriff should have chewed out the citizen, not you.

I wouldn't work somewhere like that.

It's one thing to get a justified butt chewing but my bosses including the chief always has my back if I'm doing my job right.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#26]
3/27/15 update

Ugh my hats off to the SRO guys. Juveniles are a unique animal to work, the kids, parents, step parents, teachers, administrators, juvenile intake officers, juvenile judges, lawyers o my what a PIA.

Next week on to FTO in patrol...

7mm
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
3/27/15 update

Ugh my hats off to the SRO guys. Juveniles are a unique animal to work, the kids, parents, step parents, teachers, administrators, juvenile intake officers, juvenile judges, lawyers o my what a PIA.

Next week on to FTO in patrol...

7mm
View Quote

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh I forgot to add, trying to stay up late tonight to get ready for night shift on Monday.
And my wife hates nights, specially when I need to sleep on her days off. Oh well things we do...

7mm
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Well said, good advice for all!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Find out what your reasons for living are and what you value in life, and cement them in your head. When you get ready for work everyday, look yourself in the mirror and say "I will not die today." Cultivate your sense of duty to your community and make peace with the dangers of the job. Others have covered the technical aspects of training and studying to prepare yourself, but you absolutely must prepare yourself mentally for your survival. Do not cling to your FTO as if he/she is a bodyguard, field training IS patrol and you can get killed doing it. I was involved in an OIS in my 2nd phase of field training and I attribute my survival wholly to mental preparation.
View Quote

Well said!! Excellent advise for all...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top