Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2015 10:48:05 AM EDT
I just read a thread elsewhere in which topic was the best pen for writing tickets.  I had never given it much thought but then realized I've used the Parker Jotter, and only the Parker Jotter, since 1989 when I started as a rookie cop.  It seems that now the Zebra F301 is very popular.  It's funny how we get attached to our gear, even something as minor as a pen.  Anyone else stuck on a certain brand/model pen for ticket writing?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Zebra ballpoint. Looks sharp in the pocket. After you break it in its smooth as glass.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Zebra with the extra fine point.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I used one like this for a short while when I was still on patrol:

Unfortunately not everyone who got to use it appreciated it as much as I did, and I was asked kindly to refrain from trying to improve the mood of the violators
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Parker, wrote well over 10k tickets with mine. Still have it too.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in the day I loved...LOVED a Cross silver pen.  These days I use a keyboard to take out  felony warrants :)
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm NOW a member of new fangled electronic age.  I have a hand held ticket writer that the battery doesn't hold a charge for more than 4 hours. Wish agency would go back to Pen and paper. Much faster and more efficient

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
we've had ticket printers in our cars for about 5 years. That said I always just used the elcheapo bics, that way I didnt care if I lost em.

J-
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:21:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Zebra F301 Bold. Looks sharp and glides easily across the thin paper.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the Pilot G2 but kept breaking the plastic pocket clip so I upgraded to the G2 Limited.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
While I don't write tickets, I always like the Parker pens for writing my run reports.

I'm kind of surprised though that I don't see more of the heavier aluminum kubotan style pens in use in the field, especially amongst EMS and fire.  I just got a cheap Chinese one to try off of ebay, with glass breaker tip, LED and DNA catcher for about $14.  My kubotan skills are only marginal, but something is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the Pilot G2 but kept breaking the plastic pocket clip so I upgraded to the G2 Limited.
View Quote

I hate Pilot G2's and carbon paper.  They also run in the rain.  Everything else, indoors, that's my go-to pen.

For most of my daily writing on patrol, I used these: Bic Clic Stick in blue.  Nothing fancy, nothing special, but they work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Zebra ballpoint. Looks sharp in the pocket. After you break it in its smooth as glass.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21T9e3osFVL.jpg
View Quote

+1.

Being a lefty, I tried the Pilot G2 for about 2 citations and gave it to my shift partner.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1.

Being a lefty, I tried the Pilot G2 for about 2 citations and gave it to my shift partner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

I'm left handed too. The .07 I can't use as it smears to holy hell, but the .05 does not seem to have the same issue as it is a finer point.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I always used a cheap bic pen for citations. For reports, I used a Fisher space pen.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#15]
E- tickets here
I prefer gel pens for other writing tasks
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Zebra F-701. I switched out the fine point for bold point, works great and looks great.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what most of us use.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I dont write many tickets in my current assignment. I also wear BDUs and a chest rig instead of a duty belt and the fancy pens just dont look right. I have some variation of gel clicky pen right now that I like ok. When im in my blues its two of the zebra metal pens. I have both of the ones that have been pictured already
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Zebra F-701. I switched out the fine point for bold point, works great and looks great.
http://www.gearjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/701spacepen.jpg
View Quote

This!!!
And it's sturdy enough to be used as a weapon if need be.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Last few years all the citations were done on the computer. No need for a pen to write a citation. Before that I used a Zebra.  I always carried a cheap Skillcraft for a "drop pen" when you had that hacking, scabbed up degenerate to use to sign the ticket.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Retro 51 Tornado, with a Fisher space pen refill.
http://www.retro51.com
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I used one like this for a short while when I was still on patrol:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/28/15/8c/28158c4e4ff2120ca203a9a3a4bcd84d.jpg

Unfortunately not everyone who got to use it appreciated it as much as I did, and I was asked kindly to refrain from trying to improve the mood of the violators
View Quote

That's funny. I don't care who you are.

My penchant for doing stuff like that is another reason I'd make a lousy LEO.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:51:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Parker. I have a fine point and medium point depending on what I am writing. I use the medium point far more often.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Zebra but more recently I have been using a Pilot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I was using a zebra F701, but the fine point was too scratchy. I re-purposed an old Parker with Easyflow9000 refills and it works incredibly well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:52:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I hate traditional ballpoint ink so I use a Pilot G2 Pro. I just wish I could find a decent metal-bodied pen that takes G2 refills.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I prefer the keyboard of my MDT.  

Before that I used a Cross pen that was engraved and given to me as an academy grad gift.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hate traditional ballpoint ink so I use a Pilot G2 Pro. I just wish I could find a decent metal-bodied pen that takes G2 refills.
View Quote

Try the G2 Limited. It's all metal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have one. Don't like it. Too many segments/wobbles. Grip too big.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought a G2 Limited yesterday, due to this thread.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#32]
When my tappy tap(Brazos) battery dies or locks up I resort back to my Pilot G2 to hand write. I work in extreme temps in Northern Nevada, -10 in the winter, 115 in the summer and the Pilot G2 is the only one I've found that is reliable in all conditions.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:29:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I carry 2 Parker Jotters, one with regular ink and one with gel ink.  The gel writes much better on our tickets.  Since I don't write many tickets I just use whichever one I grab first for day to day writing.

I also keep a Zebra F701 with a Fisher space pen refill in it in my console that I find myself grabbing more and more often.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry a couple of older retractable Fisher Space pens.

One in blue and one in black.

If they ever break I'll be looking at those Retro 51 pens pretty hard.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Is this thread for real!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is this thread for real!
View Quote

NONE I'm to busy arresting people for real crimes to give out BS tickets!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this thread for real!

What an incredibly helpful addition to the thread
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I tried the Zebra F-301 with the bold tip and although I like the feel of the pen, I'm not terribly impressed with how it writes.  I've read that the Zebra 701, although all metal, is poor writer also.  I think I'll stick with the Parker Jotter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah im a big fan of the pilot g2
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I tried the Zebra F-301 with the bold tip and although I like the feel of the pen, I'm not terribly impressed with how it writes.  I've read that the Zebra 701, although all metal, is poor writer also.  I think I'll stick with the Parker Jotter.
View Quote

Im not a fan of how the 701 writes but again I'm not much of a ticket writer either. It stays in the pocket of the set of Blues that hangs pressed in the closet for when I get told I have to wear them and it looks pretty lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Copper investigator pen from Rick Hinderer is my favorite. But I have a bic attached to my clip board for them to sign with

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Copper investigator pen from Rick Hinderer is my favorite. But I have a bic attached to my clip board for them to sign with

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/sovaprepper/media/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA3MDkuanBn_zpsc8691fa4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/sovaprepper/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA3MDkuanBn_zpsc8691fa4.jpg</a>
View Quote

What's the all weather pad for? In my area patrol and investigations don't get out of the car when water falls from the sky lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, for when my first option for citations goes down or is otherwise unavailable. Our electronic option is much, much faster for me.

Click "Uniform Traffic Citation" tab
Run tag in NCIC
Swipe driver's license
Type location
Click the "quick pick" violation tab and choose what they did

It literally takes me about two minutes to write a citation now if both the driver and the vehicle are from Florida. If one or both are from out of state, it takes a few minutes longer as I have to manually type in everything. The program auto-fills the court information, violation description and fine, and has all the information on how to pay or contest the ticket on the back of it. Not to mention I've seen first graders with cleaner handwriting than mine, especially if I'm in a hurry, so having everything printed makes it very easy to read for the recipient.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Zebra 301 with a fine point for me too.
Can't use gel pens being another lefty.
I've tried to find the 701's in stores but no one seems to carry them. I'm also not sure if I can fit two in the pen slot in my uniform, it's kind of narrow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Zebra 301 with a fine point for me too.
Can't use gel pens being another lefty.
I've tried to find the 701's in stores but no one seems to carry them. I'm also not sure if I can fit two in the pen slot in my uniform, it's kind of narrow.
View Quote

Only one fits in mine
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#46]
The free pens the wrecker service gives out
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#47]
FD here but my reports are done with a County Comm Ti Embassy W/Fisher space pen cartridge
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this thread for real!

Really if your worried what type of pen you need to write a ticket you need to look at why you went into LEO work! Is it to make money for you state,county,city, town or village or is it to stop crime? I know speeding is a crime and all that BS! I'll use speeding or whatever traffic law as PC because I'm looking for real crime people with warrants or drugs! In the past 3 years I have given out maybe maybe 8 tickets yet I have easy over 200+ DUI's I also have 75+ drug running convictions! I know many troopers or highway guys who have a hell of a lot less then me but take my 8 tickets x by 100 maybe per year! I know there are special troopers and officers out there that can claim more then my # but they are far a few between! As I'm the slacker on my department when it comes to traffic!

So this is a reminder to THINK of the job you are doing and why you are doing it! Not for your state,county,city, town or village numbers! As it is Cops who pull this that give all Cops a bad name! I say ask why you took the job to protect and serve or to make your state,county,city, town or village richer!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Really if your worried what type of pen you need to write a ticket you need to look at why you went into LEO work! Is it to make money for you state,county,city, town or village or is it to stop crime? I know speeding is a crime and all that BS! I'll use speeding or whatever traffic law as PC because I'm looking for real crime people with warrants or drugs! In the past 3 years I have given out maybe maybe 8 tickets yet I have easy over 200+ DUI's I also have 75+ drug running convictions! I know many troopers or highway guys who have a hell of a lot less then me but take my 8 tickets x by 100 maybe per year! I know there are special troopers and officers out there that can claim more then my # but they are far a few between! As I'm the slacker on my department when it comes to traffic!

So this is a reminder to THINK of the job you are doing and why you are doing it! Not for your state,county,city, town or village numbers! As it is Cops who pull this that give all Cops a bad name! I say ask why you took the job to protect and serve or to make your state,county,city, town or village richer!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this thread for real!

You sound like a superstar who I would love to have on my relief.

I'm guessing you have never used a pen to copy a victim's information into your notebook to complete a report in crappy weather.

Why don't you look at the intent of the thread and realize there may be better tools to help you do your job.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this thread for real!

Sorry, I didn't know talking about a pen that won't smear to shit when I write because I'm left handed makes me less of a cop. And rattling off your stats is a nice touch. I don't need you to remind me why I do my job.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top