Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2015 1:33:18 AM EDT
I actually thought until yesterday this just happened to everybody. Then my wife started saying no it wasn't, so I asked around and nope.. It's not normal.

Joined the military in 98 and have worn boots for work since then. Every single pair of boots i have ever owned the rear of the heel has ripped out. They'll be perfectly fine except for that and get thrown away.

They fit perfect, apparently except the heels.

any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You walk funny.  Take a used pair into a real shoe shop boot repair place, or something like a "Fleet Foot" that specializes in fitting shoes to runners.  They can look at wear patterns or watch you walk and see what you're doing right/wrong and recommend a fix.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:15:46 AM EDT
[#2]
do you pull your boots off with your boots? I noticed I was ripping the heels out of all of my left shoes. Someone pointed out I always used my right foot to pull my left shoe off - mystery sorted.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
When you walk, I would bet you push off hard with your toes right before you lift your foot, possibly because of a long stride.  Try intentionally taking shorter steps and see if that changes things.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
On some boots I have the same problem.  Only I can feel my heel slipping a little no matter how tight the boots are.  Also I have plantar faciitis.  So I started buying fairly thin Dr Scholls gel heel cups and putting them underneath the insole in my boot.  It lifts my heel up just enough to stop the slipping and for whatever reason, stops all the pain from the plantar faciitis.  

I wear a size 14.  Oakley boots are the worst.  The heel area will be gone in under 90 days.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
it's the ones I pull off by stepping on as well as the ones that unzip up the side and just pull off.

So far the ones that haven't ripped are my Oakleys. But they're the newest too, the under amours,5.11s, rockeys and on and on have all done it in the last couple years.

I found an old pair of combat boots I had from the Corps and same thing, they're ripped in the same place.

I don't think we have any stores like that to actually check them. So I may even try to find a shoe repair place and see if they can fix them cause I"m about to pitch 3 pairs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Try these things:

1. at the place where eyelet laces stop, right below ankle height, tie them snugly (like they were shoes), then use speed lacing from there. You are basically isolating the foot part from the ankle part and may limit heel slip.

2. Possibly try some different thicknesses of moleskin or other similar adhesive-backed material in the heel area to move your foot forward a bit.

good luck!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
go to a athletic shoe store that can accurately measure your foot and video tape your walk and stance etc.
they can recommend proper shoes and insoles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
go to a athletic shoe store that can accurately measure your foot and video tape your walk and stance etc.
View Quote

yea..... we dont have anything like that around here
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Both of my boots have holes inside the heel. I chalked it up to these junk 5.11s
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could try a Walmart.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried something like that one time, I can't manage to cut the things right to sit inside my shoes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
See a podiatrist.  Look at the bottom of your shoes vs your wife vs a co-workers, etc........you should see different wear points around the heel area and up on the front.  

If once corner or area is worn, and in most it is, 100% due to your foot have an issue when you walk.  Proper inserts will fix it.

Second- stop throwing away good boots.....go to a shoe repair and have then resoled.   My Rocky boots are 14 years old, on their third sols and you would never know.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy better boots. I wore through the heel of some 5.11's in 8-9 months, but it took 5 years to wear through the backstrap of my haix. Haix use a smooth piece of leather for the backstrap, and you can send them out to get rebuild if you finally do wear them out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top